PDA

View Full Version : just asking ... making flash apps?

pixelstuff
April 5th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Is there any way of creating flash applications on Linux?

smartbei
April 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Wine. All but the newest version of Flash (CS 3) are rated platinum on Wine's AppDB.

pixelstuff
April 6th, 2008, 12:32 AM
hmm yes but I am not a fan of cracking programs ... :lolflag:
It's all in the hands of Adobe, right? No other way to create flash files? Wait - I actually own Rave 2 by Corel for Windows that can make flash, maybe Wine can handle it but I doubt it but will try. Is there anything else out there?

twright
April 6th, 2008, 12:51 AM
well, you could try using java on apng (great for animations) but if you want flash adobe is the only option (which has decent functionality)

The Titan
April 6th, 2008, 12:52 AM
hmm yes but I am not a fan of cracking programs ... :lolflag:
It's all in the hands of Adobe, right? No other way to create flash files? Wait - I actually own Rave 2 by Corel for Windows that can make flash, maybe Wine can handle it but I doubt it but will try. Is there anything else out there?
there are some applications to compile actionscript and c# into .swf files i think, but that isn't a replacement for the "flash" software by adobe.

pmasiar
April 6th, 2008, 02:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Adobe_Flash

smartbei
April 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM
hmm yes but I am not a fan of cracking programs ...

If you buy the program legally, I don't think there is any moral wrongdoing with running it on Linux.

You didn't mention that you wanted it free (as in beer).

pixelstuff
April 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Sorry, you are right, should have mentioned that. I like to make myself believe that nobody could spend for software what I earn in a whole month ... :( But I'd buy a program in the 40 - 70 Dollar range if there was one. Thanks for the hint with compiling, that sounds interesting. I have flash at work - maybe I could steel a little office time for my private pleasures and do most of the work on the scripts at home? Then I could compile at work - but that is maybe a bit too much for a beginner.

twright
April 8th, 2008, 01:30 AM
can't you get a 30 day trial of flash, is that long enough for what you need?

artilec
April 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Is there any way of creating flash applications on Linux?

I used 'Swish2' a few years back when I was web developing, you can make simple .swf banners to complete web sites with it and is easier to use than flash and also much quicker to learn. It is windows based but does work in wine. MOST EXCELLENT!! enjoy.