PDA

View Full Version : Is RHCE a good career move?

vishzilla
April 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'm thinking of doing a RHCE certification. Till date, I was more inclined towards software development and lately I've been thinking of a career change. By doing RHCE, is it a good career move?

tubasoldier
April 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Certification certainly can't hurt. People are more inclined to hire certified admins.

pmasiar
April 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
RH is popular in corporate world, if that is what you want. If it is good depends what you want to be in your career :-) Certainly would not hurt, if your career is in computers :-)

Awayne
April 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM
That's a certificate I've been looking at getting. Far as I know it's supposed to be one of the top certifications in IT. Couldn't hurt to be Red Hat certified.

SunnyRabbiera
April 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I say go for it, being Red Hat certified is just as good as getting microsoft certified in the corporate world.

p_quarles
April 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Thread moved to the Community Cafe, as it has to do with neither ponies nor the color pink. :D

vishzilla
April 6th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks a lot guys for your replies, I am going forward with it.

Tundro Walker
April 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Certs come and go, and while they can help bolster your degree, they're no replacement for it. A good degree shows you have a solid educational foundation, where-as certs simply show you're more capable of handling the current fads.

LaRoza
April 6th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Certs come and go, and while they can help bolster your degree, they're no replacement for it. A good degree shows you have a solid educational foundation, where-as certs simply show you're more capable of handling the current fads.

They are also good for Resume's and showing that one has a dedication to continueing education. Although a single certification isn't really impressive, a history of taking the initiative is.

toupeiro
April 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Absolutely. The core skills in those courses are transferrable to several versions of Linux and some UNIX versions.