PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Cheap WiFi Device Thing

kasio
April 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap mobile device that can connect to WiFi networks and browse the web. (i.e. running Linux or something old and cheap that can be made to run Linux)

Thanks a lot! :)

madjr
April 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap mobile device that can connect to WiFi networks and browse the web. (i.e. running Linux or something old and cheap that can be made to run Linux)

Thanks a lot! :)

um something old and cheap... :confused:

try those nokia internet tablets, the old one works well n770 i think.

or get one of those used cheap Pentium 3, 1ghz laptops with 256 to 512 ram

they would work pretty well for just browsing and few other tasks.

init1
April 5th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I suppose it depends on what you consider cheap. I have an iPod touch that does web browsing fine, but it costs $300. I also have a PSP and although it's a bit cheaper, it's a lot slower too. Neither of them run Linux.

fatality_uk
April 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Are you looking for pocket sized or rucksack size?
Poclet size, as above, Nokia or even an old ipaq will do.
Slightly bigger, highly recommend an eeepc!

ssam
April 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
if you go for a nokia interent tablet i recommend the n800 over the 770. it is significatly more powerful, can take more memory cards, is better supported by software etc.

plb
April 6th, 2008, 01:02 AM
n800 ++ only thing is the battery life on those things are pretty awful

skymera
April 6th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Have you looked at the Asus EeePC?

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/

The pictures give it no justice.
Had a play with one in a shop today, tiny little thing.

It has Linux installed or the Damned OS.

kasio
April 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I work at a computer shop and we have a ASUS EEE, though I don't think anyone is buying one, so I might ask if I can have the display model (701).

Will look into Nokia and IPaq.

Thanks! :)

tylerspaska
April 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Have you looked at the Asus EeePC?

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/

The pictures give it no justice.
Had a play with one in a shop today, tiny little thing.

It has Linux installed or the Damned OS.
What store was that? I've been looking to play with an EEE before I buy one, but I can't find it in any store for the life of me.

gratefulfrog
April 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I don't know where you guys are but here in Northern Europe the eeepc's are selling like mad! Every shop I know can't keep them on the shelf. I have a friend who drove 400km to get his since the shop wold only hold it for 1/2day.

Also, take a look on ebay. A bunch of my buddies got theirs via ebay from Taiwan, no problems, and ordered lots of little accessories for cheap, too! Everything arrived safely!

You might be interested to know that a new model with an 8.5" screen is soon to go on the market.
Ciao,
GF.

fatality_uk
April 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM
What store was that? I've been looking to play with an EEE before I buy one, but I can't find it in any store for the life of me.

After my initial suggestion..

PC World business just offered me a deal on our e-account for the purchase of 10 4gb eeePC's

£190 + vat. £223 Inc. The are currently retailing at £250ish
For 20+ they will drop the price to £180ish

I am buying 5 this week. They are available but are becomming hard to get hold of!!