PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft, Yahoo to Link IM Networks

earobinson
October 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Microsoft and Yahoo are set to announce on Wednesday a blockbuster interoperability deal that will reshape the landscape of the fragmented instant messaging market. The companies will connect their IM networks so users on each can communicate with one another using text and voice chat free of charge.

Read the rest of the artical here: http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Yahoo_to_Link_IM_Networks/1129075667

I also put a copy of it up here:

Dident google want to work with other ims? what will this do for gaim, are they going open standards with an api and all, or are they just sharing secreats and not telling us :(

BWF89
October 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Their going to be sharing secrets and not telling us. But this is going to benefit Yahoo more because most people use AIM and the rest use MSN. So Yahoo users won't have to change clients to chat with MSN users.

I use Gaim with my AIM account but I also have YIM and Google Jabber accounts that I never log into so I should be able to talk to MSN users through Yahoo without getting one without useing my Net Passport to which is always a good thing.

Kimm
October 12th, 2005, 05:08 PM
That sounds nice... as long as it doesnt cause trubble for OSS clients that is... I've been thinking about moving to Yahoo for a while, but all my friends use msn... no I can finaly get rid of ALL Microsoft marked things on my computer! ;)

mstlyevil
October 12th, 2005, 06:02 PM
All these changes in Microsofts culture this week looks to me like they are making sure to partner with everyone first to get a head start on Google and try to crush them before they get out of the gate. Lets look at what has happened in the last week.
1. Microsoft decides to add PDF support to word.
2. Microsoft and Sun agree to make Word and Star Office 8 compatible.
3. Microsoft and Real make peace and team up against Apple and I-Pod. They also agree to coodinate on software and to begin to support each others codecs.
4. Microsoft and Yahoo are close to announcing an agreement to support each others IM clients.

This tells me that they are making peace with all their other enemies out of fear of google.

Kimm
October 12th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I gues your right, I didnt know of all these things.

I doubt the fear is of google only though, I am quite sure the have many fears and feel somewhat cramed into a corner (a fairly large corner, but still).

Personaly I dont like the idea of a web OS... what will become of me... I'm a programmer (ok, not a great one, but I'm working on it, and its what I wana do), if thats reality there will be less need of me, if any. I suggest we support the mono project instead... I see a great future there! (also, an internet connection wouldnt be a must)

Ok... off topic I know... but I needed to say it :-P