PDA

View Full Version : So, why do you prefer Ubuntu?

Shakey_Jake33
April 5th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Serious question, thought this could be a good discussion. Ubuntu has developed the unfortunate reputation of being a 'n00b' Linux distro, but there are clearly lots of Linux vets who use Ubuntu also. What is it about Ubuntu that keeps you here, and what would you like to see the Ubuntu team change?

In my case, it's this very forum. I had quite a reality check when I tried Debian recently, I'd become so used to being able to rely on this forum, any problem I'd have, there'd be a topic here about it already. One example being SVN mplayer, there's an excellent guide here explaining how to install SVN mplayer, specifically explaining what development packages are recommended. I was unable to find a similar guide for Debian.
Also, I can do a fresh Ubuntu install, set up all my apps (not from the repo) and everything in under an hour. That's very impressive in my book. Took me two days to reach the same point in Debian.

What could Ubuntu change? The thing that drove me to look at other distro's in the first place was Ubuntu's policy towards packages i.e no major revisions. I like to be on the bleeding edge with updates, so it was great to use Debian Testing and have a newer kernel, GNOME 2.22, OOo 2.4. Perhaps Ubuntu need an equivalent of Debian Testing and SiD? Proposed and backports simply cannot compare.
Also, the 6 month release cycle is far too frequent, no-one wants to change OS that quickly, and if they kept on top of bleeding edge updates, there'd be no need.

What keeps you guys on Ubuntu, and what do you think could/should change?

Anthony M
April 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Ubuntu just gives me that warm, cuddly feeling inside :lol:

steveneddy
April 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Security, stability, dependability - in that order.

Thank you.

Side note: It's not Windows. I've had my fill of Windows. It's fun to watch from the sidelines now.

NightwishFan
April 5th, 2008, 02:23 PM
The community is excellent. Also it is so far the most stable distro on my hardware.

barbedsaber
April 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM
*HUge intake of breath*

security stability freedom comunity being different security again being able to change stuff not having to pay being able to give copies to my friends knowing it won't randoomly crash clickeing end now and it actually ending no registry most drivers by default security fast boot up fast shutdown security freedom orangeness freedom

need I go on?

njparton
April 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Compared to other distros: the community, definitely.

Otherwise Fedora and OpenSUSE are also worth checking out.

Zeotronic
April 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Technically, I prefer Xubuntu... but even so, the forums are one of the leading reasons I don't try anything else... the second reason being a bad experiance with Debian.
... ... ... if it ain't broke, DONT FIX IT! :)

shuttleworthwannabe
April 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
debian, only freindlier, community-wise and support

slipperhead
April 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
ubuntu was the first linux i came across (from looking on aol forums!)
tried it while staying with windows for a while, kept going back and using the live cd and fell in love with it.

since my pcs were not the newest, i tried a few distros: slax, dsl. vector, puppy, dream linux, xubuntu, tiny me, mint, wolvix and a few more!

ubuntu is just everything i need, and even if it is a 'noob' distro, it still taught me enough that i could find my way round any distro.

i always come back to ubuntu even if i have to perform acrobatics to get it working on my dinsaur computers!

and i agree about the forums, i dont even have to ask questions most of the time, the answers are at the end of a search.

edit; didnt feel like a noob distro when i first tried it, i sat looking at the the screen thinking this is amazing, but what do i do now!

TeraDyne
April 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Easy to use, it just works, yada yada...

I like the community and ideals of Ubuntu the most, though. Everyone's nice, there are thoughtful discussions, and the forums have a down-to-earth, home-like feel to them. It's something that I feel good supporting and being a part of.

tubasoldier
April 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
If Mandriva were debian based I would be using it instead. It has nice graphical config tools and great hardware detection.

The thing that keeps encoraging me to distro jump is the redheaded step-child treatment of KDE.

tdrusk
April 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I like the fast community. I can usually get an answer in five minutes.

gecko98
April 6th, 2008, 01:34 AM
First of all it's not Windows :). Other reasons: comes preloaded with software that you need, practically no viruses, contemporary look to it and just its simplicity.

linuxbeatswin
April 6th, 2008, 01:37 AM
If Mandriva were debian based I would be using it instead. It has nice graphical config tools and great hardware detection.

The thing that keeps encoraging me to distro jump is the redheaded step-child treatment of KDE.

I use Mandriva inside of Virtualbox, and I agree with you, although my preference is Ubuntu. It is a really nice distro, though, you are right.

kutjara
April 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I'm not a big believer that things should be difficult, just so I can prove how "uber" I am. The fact that other, more "hardcore" distros make the user jump through endless hoops just to get a keyboard and mouse working doesn't, in my eyes, make them better; merely badly designed.

I like the fact that Ubuntu gets most of the important stuff right out of the box, leaving me to devote my time to the genuinely tricky bits. I find with Ubuntu, no matter where I install it, I'm at a working desktop far more quickly than with other distros I've tried.

If I really needed to complicate my life needlessly, I'd brick-up my doors and windows and use the chimney to get into and out of my house. Then I'd really be l33t.