PDA

View Full Version : The perfect "tech" storm, X-BOX, PS3, WII and Linux

fatality_uk
April 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM
We all know that Linux is gaining ground on the desktop, and one reason I am sure is due to the rise of consoles. I think the success of the x-box, PS series and Wii has meant that one of the reasons for owning a PC has been placed firmly next to the TV in the lounge.

Modern consoles have good internet access and with broadband in a lot of homes, it takes away the need for a £1500 top of the line PC to play the latest gen of games.

If there's a console in the corner of the room, then the family PC/PC's running Ubuntu (Linux/GNU) can do everything that a Window PC can do, more securely, with less cost and with greater ease in many cases.

Perhaps this is a marketing avenue that many Linux distros can make use of?
Just pondering on a Sat morn!!!

prshah
April 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I think the success of the x-box, PS series and Wii has meant that one of the reasons for owning a PC has been placed firmly next to the TV in the lounge.

If there's a console in the corner of the room, then the family PC/PC's running Ubuntu (Linux/GNU) can do everything that a Window PC can do,

Indeed; I'm running Kubuntu on a PIII550Mhz/512Mb RAM system with bttv tv card and Sis 6326 with TV out, and WG311 wireless. It' connected directly to my old old 29" TV. Only 800x600 resolution though, and text is mostly unreadable even at that.

It acts as a game station, music station, PVR, video station, file server, "set-top" internet box and will soon serve pictures wirelessly to my digital photo frames made from old laptops.

Soon will attempt to make an FM ransmitter so that it will broadcast my songs throughout my apartment;...

daverich
April 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
exactly what's happenned here.

We use an xbox360 for gaming and linux for everything else :)

Kind regards

Dave Rich