PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming of a mini Nautilus

wersdaluv
April 5th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Nautilus is nice. PCManFM is nice. Most of the time, I use PCManFM because I just have to do simple work. There are some things that PCManFM can't do (like extracting .rar files, opening the trash folder with the empty trash button, etc), but it does most of the things I need a file browser should do.

I can make Nautilus simple by disabling some features ( http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/2.22/performance-8.html.en#performance-7 ). On the other hand, I don't want to keep disabling features. I'll just use PCManFM if I'm going to do simple things.

I'm dreaming of a Mini Nautilus. Whenever I run this app, I get a Nautilus that only does the basic things (like PCManFM). If we can only choose what features to run in an app every time we run it, that would be nice.

Hehe. Just sharing. :)

LaRoza
April 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Have you tried Thunar?

urukrama
April 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
+ 1 for Thunar

gn2
April 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Thunar lacks one built-in feature, network browsing, but I believe it's being worked on.
Hopefully it will be available soon...... Pretty please....... :-)

wersdaluv
April 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Tried thunar, but I'd rather use PCManFM. It's got tabs and it doesn't install more xfce stuff! :D

What I'm dreaming of is a lighter Nautilus for me not to need another app. Anyway, why should I care if I can use PCManFM? hehe

LaRoza
April 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
You can always use mc, which is better than them all.

wersdaluv
April 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
You can always use mc, which is better than them all.

Doesn't sound so good to me. Hehe

I have a friend who uses yaquake as his file manager. Looks cool, but I'm on gnome. Gnome alternatives aren't cool enough. hehe

LaRoza
April 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Doesn't sound so good to me. Hehe

I have a friend who uses yaquake as his file manager. Looks cool, but I'm on gnome. Gnome alternatives aren't cool enough. hehe

mc isn't specific to Gnome.

wersdaluv
April 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM
mc isn't specific to Gnome.

I'm referring to a gnome alternative for yakuake :D

urukrama
April 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Tilda (http://tilda.sourceforge.net/) or Guake (http://guake-terminal.org/)?

smartboyathome
April 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Guake is a good alternative to Yakuake.

wersdaluv
April 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM
For me, Tilda and Guake aren't as good as yakuake. They both have a lot of bugs. Tilda freezes on my computer. I forgot what problems I had with guake but I tried it for quite a while and didn't like it. hehe

BOBSONATOR
April 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM
thunar ftw, i cant wait untill network is built in!

wersdaluv
April 7th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Again, PCManFM ftw :lolflag:

kidux
April 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Me too, then I'll dump gnome all together and go back to XFCE.

gn2
April 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM

I checked on the Thunar project site, apparently it seems my info was wrong and they're not working on it, however there is a link to this excellent how-to which works perfectly in Xubuntu 7.04:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=304131&highlight=xubuntu

kidux
April 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I checked on the Thunar project site, apparently it seems my info was wrong and they're not working on it, however there is a link to this excellent how-to which works perfectly in Xubuntu 7.04:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=304131&highlight=xubuntu

I tried that howto when I was running Xubuntu 7.10 64-bit and 32-bit, and I just couldn't get it to work. I ended up installing nautilus for the fm, but alas my Ubuntu experience is still limited (came from Slackware with KDE) and I didn't realize it was going to mess with the XFCE wm, and I had to keep changing the desktop setting back to being managed by XFCE (cuz I love minimizing the apps to icons and right click menu) until I got tired of dealing with it and put Ubuntu 7.10 32-bit back on.

qazwsx
April 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Rox?

geoken
April 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
IMO, you're going to have to learn to like Thunar or hope PCFman gets the features you wan't because I definately don't think the current trend is leaning towards stripping Nautilus features.

Nautilus is constantly criticized for it's lack of features, especially now with the feature rich and faster Dolphin showing us what we *could* have.

wersdaluv
April 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
IMO, you're going to have to learn to like Thunar or hope PCFman gets the features you wan't because I definately don't think the current trend is leaning towards stripping Nautilus features.

Nautilus is constantly criticized for it's lack of features, especially now with the feature rich and faster Dolphin showing us what we *could* have.

It's not what I want. I want a Mini Nautilus whenever I want to do simple things like opening folders. Since I there are lighter apps to do the simple job, I choose to use an app like PCManFM.

I actually want the Nautilus to have many features. I just want to have the choice to run it in "Mini Mode" whenever I am going to do simple tasks. Since it's not possible. I choose to use lighter file managers. I just like the idea of having Nautilus in "Mini Mode" so that I do not need to install other applications.