PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if windows went open source?

idiotonuni
April 5th, 2008, 06:11 AM
If MIcrosoft made the bold move to release the source code for there NT line for any reason, what do you think would happen? Do you think that it would be the next killer open source operating system? Would people become so familiar with the platform they could make super spyware, and super viruses? Would the wine community finally be able to complete there dream? Well I would say one thing to the ReactOS crew, "Sorry you wasted 10 years of your life!"

Post your crazy ideas here.

Greenbean209
April 5th, 2008, 06:24 AM
THE WORLD WOULD IMPLODE!!!!!!!!! thats what would happen

Microsoft is to greedy to go open source. I don't think the phrase "What if?" applies here.

NightwishFan
April 5th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Windows would be a secure stable operating system?

LaRoza
April 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
It would die. It is too far behind, and I don't see anyone trying to improve it when there are existing solutions.

Without the marketing, Windows wouldn't exist.

vexorian
April 5th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Releasing source code != going open source.

If and only if windows goes GPL, it will be great news for everyone. Someone might even be able to fork the beast and fix its issues, I might even give it a try.

This will never happen though.

So, I am just looking forward to reactOS.

wPwLUi3N
April 5th, 2008, 07:26 AM
The secret that "Microsoft, has stolen open source GPL code for NT", will be revealed.

linuxbeatswin
April 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
It would die. It is too far behind, and I don't see anyone trying to improve it when there are existing solutions.

Without the marketing, Windows wouldn't exist.

I concur with your assessment. Linux is what it is because of real developers wanting what is best for the O/S, not just their wallets. We have the BEST marketing- word of mouth, proven success, and forums like this. :guitar:

finferflu
April 5th, 2008, 07:43 AM
If Windows went Open Source I wouldn't use it anyway. I'm too disgusted by Microsoft's practices to appreciate any of their products.

Tundro Walker
April 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
If it went open-source, I could see folks doing to it what they do to Linux or Quake ... make different versions to work on different hardware setups.

You'd get the extremists that would strip out all superfluous old code to make a lean, mean, modern OS that could really kick butt on multi-core/threading systems.

You'd get the minimalists who'd strip out anything and everything they could so they can try to get it to run on their wrist-watch, but get fed up because they can only make it stripped down enough to be a really awesome OS for old 486's.

You'd get the folks in between, too.

I think it would ultimately be good for Microsoft customers, since others could start digging into their source and optimizing the hell out of it. But, it would ultimately be bad for Microsoft, because they'd lose all kinds of money in the deal.

Honestly, if you want to think of it this way, why hasn't Microsoft just made their old OS' open-source, much the way Id Software has done with old Quake engines? It's because MS is greedy, and they don't even want their own old OS' to compete with whatever new they toss on the market. Heck, if it wasn't for such public out-cry, they would have shut off WinXP support long ago (they're still just keeping it around for budget laptops, but they really want it to go the way of the dodo.)

So, while we can speculate, the reality of this situation is that there probably never will be a reality. Maybe in 20 years after Microsoft has had its day and is no longer a viable corporate entity, someone ex-employee will pass out the source for, say, Win95, and hobbyists will start messing with it to get their archaic 486's working again just as conversation pieces. And anyone even still associated to Microsoft at that time would probably care less about it even if they could file a lawsuit, because it would be like someone filing a lawsuit against a hobbyist cracking away on old Apple ][e source code ... really, what's the point other than bragging rights amongst dork friends?

Lord knows what OS and computers we'll be using in 20 years. Computer innovation is still growing, but computer application (for home users) is starting to dwindle ... folks are having a hard time justifying the purchase of a dual-core machine just to surf the net or watch YouTube. So, as demand tapers off, so will innovation, since there will be less funding to toss at it.

armandh
April 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
they could make vista open source GPL and I would pick Ubuntu.
but as buggy as it is M$ would make a bundle with paid tech service.

and my 160 mhz 486 runs 98se just fine [40mhz FSB with AMD 120 processor]

der_joachim
April 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
If parts of the NT code base were to be released, the programmers would at least have a good laugh. :)

On a more serious note, I actually do think that an open NT-based OS would have a fighting chance. Think of the millions non-converts who did not make the switch because their games or windows apps (Photoshop anyone?) did not work properly. As long as there are so few native linux games, I may well install this mythical OS.

Druke
April 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
if windows gpl'd ... wine would be awesome, and we could use all those apps and then windows would fade ;)

TeraDyne
April 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
if windows gpl'd ... wine would be awesome, and we could use all those apps and then windows would fade ;)

Wine wouldn't be awesome, it'd be perfect.

NullHead
April 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM
THE WORLD WOULD IMPLODE!!!!!!!!! thats what would happen

Microsoft is to greedy to go open source. I don't think the phrase "What if?" applies here.

I second the notion!! The world would implode!!!!!!!!!!!!! and we'd all die from getting viruses.

amingv
April 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
People would at last believe me when I tell them that the automatic update tool and error reporting send their information to the government (and unencrypted), also that windows firewall goes something like this:

for (int port = 0; port < 10000; port++) { /*ports 0-9999; nobody uses the others*/
malloc(100); /*boost RAM industry*/
sleep(5);
if (user_state == busy_flag) { /*AYT?*/
gen_rand_alarm(port);
malloc(5);
}
}

I can see it now: GNU/Windows :lolflag:

Ioky
April 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Linux will become the most superful system ever because as soon as MS open their port, people is not able to write code some window's software are able to run perfectly on Linux. I am pretty such no one really like windows, they only like the software that run on windows. Like myself. Then there will be two force on the Linux world. Open software and Close software (you need to pay for that)

Virus? no worry! remember we get something call permission decline? haha. It would be much harder to write virus and such to Linux. Don't make me wrong there is Virus in Linux. Unix don't get virus is just miss leading.

And finally Bill Gate will be get screw. He is a smart person indeed, but he done too much to himself, and too less to other. If you can only live a good life when you have to depend on one person. You are just a salve of that person. So

Greenbean209
April 5th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Does anybody actually beleive that windows has such a giant hole in its security that it needs all those security updates that destroy your computer?

Sadly I'm stuck with windows until my CDs get here.

TeraDyne
April 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Does anybody actually beleive that windows has such a giant hole in its security that it needs all those security updates that destroy your computer?

Sadly I'm stuck with windows until my CDs get here.

I don't believe there's a huge hole in Windows' security. I'd say they're a bunch of smaller holes that make up one big "disaster waiting to happen".

I hope your CDs get to you soon.

madjr
April 5th, 2008, 10:23 PM
If MIcrosoft made the bold move to release the source code for there NT line for any reason, what do you think would happen? Do you think that it would be the next killer open source operating system? Would people become so familiar with the platform they could make super spyware, and super viruses? Would the wine community finally be able to complete there dream? Well I would say one thing to the ReactOS crew, "Sorry you wasted 10 years of your life!"

Post your crazy ideas here.

i would use a fork of windows named wine II in ubuntu.

finally linux, specially ubuntu would take a huge marketshare.

ndsiwrapper would be perfect and even more wrappers available for other types of hardware.

React OS 1.0 would finally be released ! but will still have the virus and spyware problems...

React OS 2.0 would be the real substitute of windows XP and MS will stay alive thanks to em. They might even get honorary MS awards :D

MS will save billions on development because the react OS team would do all the work for free.

even if they just released windows NT it would be a big win !

in just a year linux would have huge marketshare and everyone will like ms and it's products again.

I would purchase a ZUNE and even office 2010 !

ms would get respect and governments would actually support em without they needing to hand out $$.

so it's a win win for both

gecko98
April 6th, 2008, 01:28 AM
If Windows went opensource, there'd be only one distro of linux (most likely to be controlled by Microsoft, somehow...) and we'll all start making fun of Apple.

skymera
April 6th, 2008, 01:35 AM
If it went Open Source, no one would care and it would shrivel and die.

madjr
April 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM
If it went Open Source, no one would care and it would shrivel and die.

the reactOS team would take over development, it would become 5x bigger and save ms billions...

and the multiplatform version: wine II

scouser73
April 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Any Windows O/S would still be crap regardless of it being open source or not. The reason being is that Microsoft has the mind set that software that people rely on should be paid for.

Microsoft released the OOXML format in the hope of gaining some recognition within the open source community, it's only antagonised the matter further as there is already a similar open source format.

I see it this way; the open source community came into being, fed up of not getting the software they wanted, and became disillusioned with various Microsoft distributions.

Open source is just that; open and that is something Microsoft can never compete with despite gaining ISO recognition. Microsoft can never garner such support as the open source community has.

ubuntu-freak
April 10th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I'd want it to also be modular and take security more seriously - by design.

Have a look at this Windows vs Linux (http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/) security comparison article. Very interesting read.

Nathan

unknown03
April 10th, 2008, 02:55 AM
If Microsoft went open source then the whole world would finally see that a majority of their code was from GPL software. The world would also see that Microsoft REALLY HAS BEEN spying on its customers and those wearing the tin foil hats dont look so crazy now..

But the most important thing to remember is this: if Microsoft went open source, the community would fix all of its problems (after having a good laugh) just long enough to renege on its decision and SELL a more stable, usable, operating system with perfected code to aid in the spying of its customers -- and it would have the money to buy out any judge deciding on the ocean of lawsuits

vexorian
April 10th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Someone will make windows for human beings, finally windows will be easy to use!

samwyse
April 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
The few usable parts would be integrated to Linux and the rest would die.

beefcurry
April 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
If windows 2000 went Open Source then schools/unis/educational institutions especially in developing countries will no longer consider using Linux as an alternative :). Theres just simplely alot more support avaliable to Windows users. Despite them not having an awesome community forum :P

Immolatus
April 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I think at this point no one would use it out of spite. Not to mention how poorly it would run without any updates or tech support. but I also think it would be great because everyone would logically switch to linux, then you know the "Gov." would have to switch to ODF.

Foster Grant
April 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
That question was answered in Ghostbusters ...

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

:D

herbster
April 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
If this would in any way allow linux developers to bust out native games/DX support, hoochiemama I'm down.

original_jamingrit
April 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Depends on what parts, but if all of windows became open source, yeah, the linux community (or at least the portion of it that uses windows apps in linux) would benefit to some degree. The OS market would become more and more egalitarian with the prevalence of open source.

OOXML would be fixed or replaced. What a friggin' joke that format is.

And everyone would hate Apple even more.

Druke
April 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
dibs on Wubuntu !

NightwishFan
April 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Dx10 is overrated just widely used.

drascus
April 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Well I think it would be a great contribution if they released their source and didn't put a restrictive license on it. yes the wine community could make their platform better. I don't think there would be super spyware or anything I actually think that security would probably improve. Also we could go through and take out all the back doors and spyware that microsoft tends to put into their products. I doubt this will ever happen. I also doubt that even if it did that they would release it under a license that would make that useful.

vexorian
April 13th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Dx10 is overrated just widely used.
Sc2 doesn't require directx ==> which means I am not going to need it in about 20 years.

Crick
April 18th, 2008, 11:40 AM
My thoughts on the subject spring straight from Time Bandits.

"Mum! Dad! Don't touch it! It's evil!"