PDA

View Full Version : WINE + Word 2003 + msttcorefonts Issue

c-ron
April 5th, 2008, 01:37 AM
When using Microsoft Word 2003 under Wine in Hardy, all of the fonts included with the msttcorefonts package always display as if they're bolded. Bolding and unbolding them does not change their appearance. The other fonts available display normally, and the same fonts in Abiword act as they should.
Has anyone else run into this?

c-ron
April 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM
BUMP

Hope I didn't get the 'Windows User' tag just from this! :-D

cogadh
April 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
This is a known bug with Word in Wine:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11347

There is a possible workaround listed on the Bugzilla page and the AppDB page for Word, but it only works for some fonts:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2735

On a side note, is there a particular reason you need to use Word and can't use a Linux native alternative like OpenOffice?

jjk7288
April 8th, 2008, 06:01 AM
On a side note, is there a particular reason you need to use Word and can't use a Linux native alternative like OpenOffice?

Does it matter? Maybe he just wants to use Word.

cogadh
April 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM
It does matter if he needs something that "just works" and doesn't want to deal with the trouble of trying to run it with Wine. It is almost always better to find a native product that suits your needs, than to try and get something to work in Wine; especially in situations like this where the problem he is having is a known bug in Wine that cannot actually be corrected by the user.

c-ron
April 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
Does it matter? Maybe he just wants to use Word.

Actually, I hate Word. I'd much rather use OO.org Writer, or even Abiword, but my roommate uses my computer too, and he has some kind of weird MaSochistic Word fetish.

benbuntu
April 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
c-ron, I originally reported this bug back in wine 0.9.53. Happily, it has just been fixed in wine 0.9.60. Please post if the new version does not fix it for you.

-Ben