PDA

View Full Version : Updated thread pre-post warning

gsmanners
April 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I've noticed that there seems to be nothing to prevent redundant simultaneous replies in threads. Maybe the user should receive some warning and be asked for verification on whether they want to submit a reply.

I realize some may find it a bit annoying, but I find it even more annoying when someone has basically said the exact same thing I have, only about 10 seconds faster. I usually wait until a post is at least 30 minutes old before replying for this reason.

Rocket2DMn
April 5th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I don't see anything wrong with nearly identical responses from multiple users, it can reassure the OP that the method suggested is relatively well supported, and thus is more likely to be the correct approach.
Wisdom of the masses, if you will.

Shazaam
April 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Also, some of us can't type as fast as others. Especially those of us who use the "hunt and peck" method. :)

Sidewinder1
April 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM
+1 on the hunt and peck.
See it took me 19 hrs. to type this...

ugm6hr
April 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I don't see anything wrong with nearly identical responses from multiple users, it can reassure the OP that the method suggested is relatively well supported, and thus is more likely to be the correct approach.
Wisdom of the masses, if you will.

Indeed.... Taking advice from "strangers" on a forum is a litlle risky...

I would recommend everyone get a couple of confirmations before following advice that suggests "sudo" use.

Rocket2DMn
April 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Indeed.... Taking advice from "strangers" on a forum is a litlle risky...

I would recommend everyone get a couple of confirmations before following advice that suggests "sudo" use.

Esp. sudo rm (or just straight up rm). There certainly are a number of fixes to problems that can be dangerous if they are not executed correctly, but are necessary.
Commands like these are best when accompanied with detailed explanations of what the command is doing and why it is necessary, and a warning to be sure it is executed properly.

gsmanners
April 9th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I can see both sides clearly have advantages, so maybe this would make a good opt-in type option.