PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Firefox 3 Beta in Herron

faithsnathan
April 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I've been trying to search for this answer in Google and the Ubuntu Forums to no avail. So I suppose I'll try it here, if it's not the wrong place. I'm pretty new still to Ubuntu and open source in general, so I might be missing something.

If Hardy Herron is going to be the new LTS for Ubuntu, would having a beta of Firefox still be stable for production machines?

Thanks for your time!

Kosimo
April 4th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I've been trying to search for this answer in Google and the Ubuntu Forums to no avail. So I suppose I'll try it here, if it's not the wrong place. I'm pretty new still to Ubuntu and open source in general, so I might be missing something.

If Hardy Herron is going to be the new LTS for Ubuntu, would having a beta of Firefox still be stable for production machines?

Thanks for your time!

It will appear having Firefox 3 beta, and then when it comes the final version it will immediately update it.

faithsnathan
April 4th, 2008, 11:00 PM
You're very smart. I knew one of you smarties would find this query and straighten me out.

Have some popcorn ... on the house. :popcorn:

tighem
April 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Firefox Beta will ship with Hardy. Heck, it's faster and more stable than Firefox 2 at this point.

bruce89
April 5th, 2008, 12:30 AM
If 2.0 was shipped in Hardy, people would moan in a few months' time that it is too old.

mech7
April 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Firefox Beta will ship with Hardy. Heck, it's faster and more stable than Firefox 2 at this point.

Its not more stable with things like Gmail, Yahoo mail.. many crashes..

Polygon
April 5th, 2008, 02:26 AM
ive used youtube and gmail and all that and ive experienced no crashes.

anyway, it will ship with the beta yes, but once the final one comes out, hardy will update to include that change.

phrostbyte
April 5th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Hopefully Firefox 3 will be in RC by the time Hardy ships.

A version of Hardy, 8.04.1 will be out sometime in June with updated packages.

Polygon
April 5th, 2008, 03:16 AM
8.04.1 is only when they produce a new hardy ISO with the updated packages for people with slow/no internet....im sure if it comes out before then when you install hardy it will just update...

madjr
April 5th, 2008, 05:24 AM
8.04.1 is only when they produce a new hardy ISO with the updated packages for people with slow/no internet....im sure if it comes out before then when you install hardy it will just update...

where would i get those new LTS isos?

do they include it in ubuntu.com's dowload section as the deafult one?

or i need to browse for it?

mrgnash
April 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Its not more stable with things like Gmail, Yahoo mail.. many crashes..

No crashes at all here.

SunnyRabbiera
April 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
for hardy I rather it ship firefox 2 then ship a beta... for personal preference, if Hardy is LTS it has to look good.
I think at this point both kubuntu and ubuntu hardy should wait till June, this way BOTH KDE 4.1 and Firefox 3 will be out of the oven and ready for action

mech7
April 5th, 2008, 08:59 AM
No crashes at all here.

Yuh but dont assume its the same for everybody :p its still beta

Kernel Sanders
April 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
There is already an enormous thread on this in the development forum.

What I will say, is that I think we need to start ignoring labels like "beta", and use what works.

If something is in alpha, yet was far more stable and faster than the previous version, i'd advocate using that.

Firefox 3 Beta is faster, and much more stable than Firefox 2. There is only one reason not to use it, and that's because of the beta tag. In which case, how about Ubuntu just customise it and call it "Ubuntu Browser 1.0". There you go, no beta tags there! :lol:

Shaggydabbydo
April 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
There is only one reason not to use it, and that's because of the beta tag

I can think of another reason, some extensions don't work.

The Gmail extension does not work, and the Deformation extension does not work in the new Firefox, so there's two reasons for me personally.

As I quite like those two extensions, is there a way of unloading this new version of Firefox and loading the previous version and use in in Hardy Herron?

Regs, Shaggydabbydo

Ralphie
April 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I love the features of the new firefox 3, and the way it handles saving passwords is way nicer now. I wouldnt want to go back to ff2, but it does crash for me all the time.

Most crashes occur while viewing streaming flash video, such as youtube, and other similar video sites.

It seems to happen most while switching from one video to another. It will crash as the second video loads, right before it starts to play.

To me it feels like the gun was jumped in releasing ff3 with hardy, but like i said, it is pretty darn nice. I can't wait for all the bugs to be fixed in it.

*edit*
Now that I think of it, the crashing could be due to my installing extensions that are not meant for ff3. :D Shaggydabbydo reminded me of that with his post above :lol: