PDA

View Full Version : book to assist new ubuntu user

zmikeo
April 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I've mashed together a couple of oldish computers to build one working one, when I say old I mean Pentium 3 .
Anyway I managed to get ubuntu7.10 working on it and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books for new Ubuntu/linux users, which would help or even any links to sites that I haven't found yet.
Any help appreciated.

heartburnkid
April 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Having a dead-tree reference is very helpful, indeed.

I've always found the "For Dummies" line to be quite a good starting point, and, though I haven't looked through it, Ubuntu Linux For Dummies has some nice reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Linux-Dummies-Computer-Tech/dp/0470125055/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207348519&sr=8-1

drascus
April 4th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I recommend the complete ubuntu Book. That is a good one. Or Ubuntu for non geeks that's also a verry good one. Or try this site: http://www.linux.org/docs/online_books.html

clanky
April 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I have been using "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" by Keir Thomas, published by Apress.

It is VERY basic and basically assumes that you are a computer idiot, which is excellent if you are. Lots of very useful and very simple instruction with good introductions to the terminal, customisation, sound and video codecs etc. as well as a good beginners guide for open office.

As it is aimed at complete beginners it's scope is slightly limited (it won't tell you how to start building your own kernel), but it is a great beginners guide.

StOoZ
April 5th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Linux Bible 2008

good book

zmikeo
April 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Have to order one online as just went to local Waterstones and WHSmith and they didn't have one book in to do with Linux.

Just thought I would mention that fact

BigSilly
April 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Are you same Zmikeo off Digital Spy forums? How did you get on with your Flash plugin? Is your Ubuntu all OK now?

zmikeo
April 5th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Yep thats me can't be bothered to have different names.
I have a couple of flash plugins but can't get BBC Iplayer you Utube yet.
Problems with sound, but I think that is down to the mobo and will have to get a sound card.

BigSilly
April 5th, 2008, 02:37 PM
You should be able to view iPlayer and Youtube just fine in Ubuntu with flashplugin-nonfree in the Ubuntu repo. Do a search for it in Synaptic. As for sound, what kind of problems are you having? It's most likely a setting somewhere that you need to look at.

Sorry, this is all off topic! Dunno about Ubuntu books, but I bought a Linspire/Freespire one called Peter Van Der Linden's Guide to Linux. As Linspire is Debian based, it's still a useful thing to have about the place. Expensive though. This is it here. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-Van-Lindens-Guide-Linux/dp/0131872842)

zmikeo
April 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I have the fashplugin nonfree installed but not able to use iplayer yet and as for the sound, I don't have any.
Thanks for the advice on the book, I'll look into it.