PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu/Linux PDA device recommendations

randomstuff
April 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Does anyone here have any special recommendations for a PDA that either does/can run Linux itself or is easy to use/sync with an ubuntu desktop as well as Outlook? I use Outlook at work, sadly, but ubuntu at home. Is there any device that handles this reasonably well?

Also, it should fulfill the following requirements:

- big screen
- no need to press very hard with the stylus for the screen to react (my last PDA was like that, it's annoying). A gentle touch should be enough.
- some sort of keyboard should be included, a mobile phone like keyboard would be enough though
- offer high usability - i.e. it should not take too many clicks/buttons to create notes, appointments, contacts, etc.

Whiffle
April 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I like my treo 650, does all that. I rarely ever even use the stylus, most everything can be done with the keyboard, and if not that, then my finger.

prshah
April 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I like my treo 650, does all that. I rarely ever even use the stylus, most everything can be done with the keyboard, and if not that, then my finger.

Yup Treo 650 is by far the best, but the screen is not big (2.2" diagonal).

The camera is a measly 0.3 megapixel but delivers astonishing clarity and small size images (Res 640x480, size 50kb~90kb with quality set to 95) that can be easily MMSd.

madjr
April 5th, 2008, 05:31 AM
nokia internet tablets,, very good :guitar:

grndslm
June 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I've had all Sprint's Palm-based treos since the 300.

The 650 is pretty much just as good as the 755p, honestly. The 755p is *supposed* to be faster due to EV-DO, but it still has latency issues, which means it feels "just a little" faster. The main difference, IMO, is the lack of a battery. The 650 actually had better battery life and the "original smartphone feature" of determining whether you're dialing a contact's name or their actual number -- with the 755p, you have to hit the option key if you're doing to be dialing a number instead of a name.

Other than that, the Nokia N810 seems like the best thing out now.

But the real Mobile Internet Device (MID) people should be looking forward to is the Gigabyte M528 (http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/03/gigabyte-m528-mid-ubuntu-mobile-ui.html). It actually has Ubuntu Mobile on it, and looks SUPER slick. Just wondering what you guys think of this... I'm prolly gonna buy one, but it's supposed to start at about $1,000. I think I'd rather have this than another laptop, tho.

treesurf
August 31st, 2008, 04:44 AM
I'll put another plug for the Treo 650 in here. Sure the technology is several years old, but it's a solid device that works smoothly, syncs well with Ubuntu, and can run a whole host of great third party softward, much of which is free.

RedPandaFox
September 1st, 2008, 01:38 AM
I had a UTSTARcom DV007 which was based on Linux, nice touchscreen, flip/swivel phone. I loved it.