PDA

View Full Version : Selfish hardware manufacturers when it comes to Linux!!

fatality_uk
April 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Just got a new lappy today HP 6910p

It's got LightScribe so was hunting round SourceForge to see if some Genius had come up with a LightScribe app. I would of course then have to go away and compile, makes sure dependencies etc were all satisfied, was looking forward to a long weekend hacking. And what you know

www.lightscribe.com
They got a *.deb!! A deb for flips sake!!!

I mean, if these companies are going to reduce the amount of time we Linux users have to spend getting hardware to work, it might mean I have more time during the day to work and at weekends to cut the grass and keep my garden clean ;)

So cmon hardware guys, stop being selfish. I hate gardening and I am more than happy having to visit UF forums for advice and banter during the day. IF stuff just starts working, what next, a 15% market share? :lolflag:

whaley
April 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Cool! :)

That's definitely a refreshing story to hear.

NightwishFan
April 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah I was wondering if my mom ever needed to use the lightscribe she could on my Ubuntu. Thanks!

I think hardware support is coming but we cannot trust these manufacturers to give us good drivers yet.

GOROSSI
April 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
It's Extremely good that companies are beginning to stand up and support the Linux community:guitar:

Mr. Picklesworth
April 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I find that really interesting! Lightscribe isn't exactly targetted at the high-end professional market, and they have debs for the label galleries and everything! Usually, you only see official Linux drivers for hardware that may be running on the cliche Linux use (which is conveniently set aside from Windows-land); processing farms and locked down thin clients.

This does not fit those roles at all. which means they - to some extent - must be accepting Linux as capable of handling a 'regular consumer' operating system.
Wasn't there talk just a while ago of HP pushing out some new products with Linux aboard?

Then again, maybe they're just trying to create a respectable standard ;)

Oh, and don't worry about the lost hacking session, Mr. Fatality; these packages still need an automatically updated repository!

qazwsx
April 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
amd64? Number 1 reason I hate proprietary drivers. They have only partial Linux support because Linux runs on multiple architectures.

fatality_uk
April 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I find that really interesting! Lightscribe isn't exactly targetted at the high-end professional market, and they have debs for the label galleries and everything! Usually, you only see official Linux drivers for hardware that may be running on the cliche Linux use (which is conveniently set aside from Windows-land); processing farms and locked down thin clients.

This does not fit those roles at all. which means they - to some extent - must be accepting Linux as capable of handling a 'regular consumer' operating system.
Wasn't there talk just a while ago of HP pushing out some new products with Linux aboard?

Then again, maybe they're just trying to create a respectable standard ;)

Oh, and don't worry about the lost hacking session, Mr. Fatality; these packages still need an automatically updated repository!

Thanks you Mr. Picklesworth. It is interesting that many companies such as HP and Vodafone are rolling out Linux compatible products. We have 5 sales laptops running Ubuntu and using this for internet on the road
http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/5959-Pebbleimageshot.jpg
The reason, the vodafone betavine site which has the same software as the windows version but Linux!!!