PDA

View Full Version : I love the smell of CLI prompts in the morning!

Jeff Hunter
October 12th, 2005, 02:11 AM
First, I want to start by saying that I am new to Linux, but I like what I see. I have been a Windows user for many years, and have been indocrinated by them since somewhere around MS DOS v 5 or so, and have fond memories of DOSShell and finding out how to get around my mother's locks on Windows 3.1 Program Manager shell.

So for many years, I have been tearing at what Windows can do, and have long bemoaned how 95 on through XP have successivly reduced the amount of true power (not computer power, mind you, but user power) since the DOS interface in favor of user-friendliness. I was ready to throw up next time I had to use a dratted Wizard to do anything...Wizards magically take away the ability to do anything the way you want to have them done.

However, I had learned to cope with it, and it was oddly my recent training in Cisco routers using the IOS CLI that sparked my interest in Linux. After all, I leared that the IOS was based in part on UNIX, as is Linux, and it reminded me of my beef of the GUI taking all the power away from the CLI. So, about two or three weeks ago, I downloaded the first distro that sounded relitivly easy to install (i.e., I didn't have to know how to use it to get it to work so I can mess around and learn how to use it), and that was Xandros.

Culture shock.

Took me the last three weeks, but I can finally move around in the CLI, move into root, copy and rename files, make new directories and even mount my Windows partition through the CLI. Several days ago, I torched Xandros, feeling that KDE strove to be too Windows-like, and noticing a number of buggy things about it (probably my fault, not its), and I was not ready to try to uninstall KDE and install GNOME. I'm still not, but give me a few months :)

Anywho, I will from now on have a Linux partition on my hard drive. Sadly, as I am going to be an IT professional for the rest of my days, I will have to keep up with MicroShaft Where-dose, and will likely even strive for an MCSE. After all, (I forget who said this) one should keep his friends close and his enemies closer.

BTW, I have been reading posts from some of the newbies and experts alike, and found a lot of people seem to complain about the dreaded "Why isn't it more like Windows?" Personally, though the commands made no sence to me at first, I realized three weeks ago that DOS commands were similar gibberish at first, as were Cisco IOS commands. Its a new language. After all, we don't try to learn Spanish and wonder why they don't just use the same sentance and word structure as english.

(Actually, many of us do...thats just good old American ignorance for you)

Anywho, I switched to Ubuntu from the suggestions of many online, and I like what I see. I just wish I had tried Linux out years ago. I always wanted to program someday, and this is a place I feel would welcome new minds.

Jeff Hunter

BWF89
October 12th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Just out of curiosity are you one of those guys who checks his email before he combs his hair or gets dressed in the morning:p ?

Jeff Hunter
October 12th, 2005, 02:34 AM
I'm one of those guys who spends so much time on his computer in the morning, that when I look up and realize I have a twenty-five minute drive ahead of me and only twenty-five minutes to do it in and I'm not even dressed, I forgoe brushing my hair as I run outside with cloths flying trying to get dressed, cursing that I'm going to be late and hoping I shut down the computer properly.

:::pant, pant:::

I'm also the kind who sits down at his computer at 10, saying I will be off and to bed by midnight, then look up at the clock ten minutes later to realize it is really five hours later.

Point in fact, I sat down here at 4 and it is now 6:30. What did I come here to do? Check my email before showering after work. I still need to do the latter, and I don't feel like any time has passed.

Jeff Hutner

"I am NOT a Nerd! I am a GEEK! Get it right!"

benplaut
October 12th, 2005, 03:21 AM

amen! :D

Goober
October 12th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Hrm, why does this sound remarkably familiar. Its amazing how little you can get done in so many hours on the computer, and when you are asked what you did, you say "Uhh, well, not much, really . . . "

And I know all about the daily commute to work. For me, its usually a mad rush to get the bus. Thank God for nice busdrivers, and late buses . . .

darkmatter
October 12th, 2005, 03:42 AM
amen! :D

I second that.

skoal
October 12th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Howdy,

I enjoy your enthusiasm for the CLI. Going with your "Apocalypse Now" theme here, however, is it really necessary to bleed all over the screen with Red Ink? Please see the forum sticky (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229) for further information. If someone just posts back in all gray, we might just get the atmosphere of burning helicopter smoke on a dessert beach too.

By the way, I love the CLI, and the movie reference...

\\//_

Jeff Hunter
October 12th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Thank you for pointing that out to me...I had used that style often in other settings, sort of my "Default Font" as it were. Did not mean to give the impression of bleeding all over the screen.

Jeff Hunter