PDA

View Full Version : Does apple need money or something!?

kevin11951
April 4th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Have a look at this:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080403/FREE/769974920/1057/newsletter01

New York City, universally known as The Big Apple, is facing a lawsuit from Steve Jobs’ Apple Computer Inc. for, of all things, copyright infringement.

The suit stems from New York’s environmental awareness campaign, GreeNYC, and its logo, which uses the outline of an apple, complete with a little leaf on top. Filed in September, the suit had gone unnoticed until this week. The California computer giant claims the drawing is too similar to its ubiquitous trademark.

The city’s response? Bite my apple.

New York City Corp. Counsel Michael Cardozo quickly filed a counterclaim to have Apple’s case thrown out, citing differences between both logos, and the fact that Apple Computer does not sell mugs, caps or other items, making confusion unlikely. He added that NYC & Company, the non-profit city marketing organization behind the logo, is dedicated to increasing tourism to New York and all of its sites—including the various Apple stores—ultimately benefiting the computer company.

As a concession, the city agreed to eliminate beer steins from its retail catalog because Apple Computer had previously filed for that particular use of its logo.

At the center of the controversy is the city program’s icon, a free-form sketch of Eve’s favorite fruit. In recent weeks that logo has started sprouting up on local bus shelters and on fashionable grocery sacs sold at Whole Foods Markets. The city plans to print it on T-shirts, caps, mugs and various other items throughout the Mayor Bloomberg-created campaign.

But according to the maker of Mac’s, that is not what the doctor ordered.

“[GreeNYC’s logo] so closely resembles Apple’s [logo] that its use is likely to cause confusion, mistake or deception in the minds of consumers,” wrote Apple Computer’s lawyers in their September filing with the Trademark Trial and Appeal board objecting to the logo.

The company cited its New York flagship store, the giant glass cube on 5th Avenue, as a tourist attraction, and claimed people walking around carrying bags, wearing caps or drinking out of bottles emblazoned with GreeNYC apples would “likely cause dilution of the distinctiveness of [Apple Computer’s brand], resulting in damage and injury to the company.”

TeraDyne
April 4th, 2008, 06:11 AM
How in the WORLD can they even copyright an APPLE, something which only the earth itself should hold the patents on? That's like trying to say that the design of a wolf is someone's copyright, and no one else can use it. I mean, there's a blatant lack af common sense if the jusdge hasn't thrown this out... Wait, Apple doesn't even have any common sense. Otherwise, they wouldn't try to do something like this.'

I honestly hope that this blows up in Apple's face. They should be hit with fines for wasting the time and manpower of the courts.

*Note: This is my opinion on the matter.

PryGuy
April 4th, 2008, 06:23 AM
+1

P.S. I always thought Jobs was a smart guy... :-k

ubuntu-freak
April 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Didn't Paris Hilton copyright the phrase "That's hot" last year? It means something is cool, great, awesome et cetera.

Nathan

tuebinger
April 4th, 2008, 06:36 AM
The two apples don't look remotely similar. The suit should be thrown out.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 4th, 2008, 06:41 AM
http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/263451481/

metalf8801
April 4th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Maybe Jobs should sew an Apple tree

Whats next are they going to start sewing farms?

tuebinger
April 4th, 2008, 07:06 AM
http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/263451481/

How could Craines New York Business.com get this soooo wrong? There's a huge difference between a lawsuit and what this thing apparently is.

Dragonbite
April 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM
The city’s response? Bite my apple.

Yeah! S.Jobs is starting to get really annoying.

This almost makes me feel that Job's losing his confidence on his products! I mean yeah, they're pretty cool but seem to be losing their "gotta have it" factor.

Polygon
April 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
i hate the current status of copyright and patenting in this country, it almost makes me want to cry. People copyrighting apples? wtf is going on here!

the_darkside_986
April 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
(l.o.l.) Is this a late April fool's joke or something? I know Apple has been known to sue for stupid things but this sounds more like satire or a joke.

Ozor Mox
April 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
(l.o.l.) Is this a late April fool's joke or something? I know Apple has been known to sue for stupid things but this sounds more like satire or a joke.

I don't know, maybe not. It's also here:

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2008/04/apple_vs_apple

One thing's for sure though, if real it is laughably pathetic and I'd like to see Apple fined for wasting everyone's time.