PDA

View Full Version : GIMP competition??

matthew
October 12th, 2005, 12:28 AM
This looks very interesting...Xara Xtreme is apparently a high-powered graphics program that just released an open source version. Could the GIMP have a competitor??

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/11/2032213&

xequence
October 12th, 2005, 12:32 AM
The Gimp needs some competition. I dont much like it, I like inkscape. It is vector and slashdot says xara is vector so ill probably try it out ;)

It looks worth a download.

skoal
October 12th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Xara Xtreme, don't mess with the Gimpster!

Open source, yes. Free, no. $79 smackaroolies worth of bloody chin scratching there. Athough, at least a google search on "Xara help" won't keep me on my toes (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=199616&postcount=12). "XX help" might though...

\\//_

BWF89
October 12th, 2005, 01:15 AM
they are releasing an open source version of their vector drawing program, Xara Xtreme
GIMP is a raster image editing program. Xara Xtreme is a vector program. How are they competeing?

Sirin
October 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM
GIMP is a raster image editing program. Xara Xtreme is a vector program. How are they competeing? Yeah, so that means Sodipodi has some competition. :cool:

Burgundavia
October 12th, 2005, 01:46 AM
The real program that is going to benefit/hurt (depending on the situation and how it plays) is Inkscape, the Sodipodi fork.

Corey

primeirocrime
October 12th, 2005, 01:54 AM
I doubt Inkscape is in any danger, Freehand and Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator could be. Got to try that Xara thinggie before I put my money where my mouth s though.

benplaut
October 12th, 2005, 02:53 AM
I am/was a Xara user, so i feal qualified to answer...

Xara is quite possibly the most inovative graphics program out there. It does vector, but also has huge possability in terms of raster editing - all around, it can do pretty much anything

competition is good, who cares if gimp loses, if the competing product is better? not me, to be sure.

the preview on the site is pretty much just proof that it can run on linux, but i think it's just a dumb model ATM, i can't gety it to do anything.

this thing is going to rock Linux graphics editing's world. that's pretty much a fact.

Knome_fan
October 12th, 2005, 08:48 AM
The real program that is going to benefit/hurt (depending on the situation and how it plays) is Inkscape, the Sodipodi fork.

Corey

From the FAQ:

Wouldn't it be great to have a product that has the best of Inkscape and Xara?

Yes, and we've discussed this with representatives of Inkscape and have agreed to cooperate to see how we can make this happen. The first step on this path is for us to get Xara Xtreme completely working on Linux (and Mac ideally). This enables Inkscape developers and everyone to best understand how our product works, and to move forward from that point.

Can Inkscape take your features or can you take Inkscape features?

Yes, and that's one of the benefits of open Source Development, sharing, not re-inventing. However it's probably not that straightforward. The architecture of both products will be very different meaning it's unlikely to be a straightforward process. Our immediate goal is to get a working, complete, stable Xara Xtreme on Linux and then to work with Inkscape on future versions.

So we're encouraging developers not to try incorporating Inkscape features add-hoc into Xara (or vice versa) in the short term. Let's get a working Xara X on Linux first and then we can see what's good, what's not and how best to move forward.

All in all, this all sounds very good and reasonable to me.

P.S.:
If you are looking for an alternative to gimp, check out krita:
http://www.koffice.org/krita/