PDA

View Full Version : two version of Linux Pro and Home

JimmyJazz
October 11th, 2005, 11:53 PM
okay here me out here...
In the Linux community there will always be two kinds of user: Linux experts and the Linux experts Grandmother. Basically we all know someone we would love to convert to using Linux but know they neither have the time or desire to learn a whole new operating system. So what I propose is a new version of Linux made just for those less tech savvy types. Perhaps with default helper wizards and mabey even built in simple tutorials on how to set up and use Ubuntu in the easiest way possible. Yes expert Linux fans would be annoyed with such handholding so thats why I think this method (spliting the OS into two types) would be such a great option. Plus it would really make Ubuntu the distro for people who want to switch but where always a little afraid.

**edit I should have titled this 'two version of UBUNTU, Pro and Home' that would have made more sense**

erikpiper
October 12th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Mandriva?

I don't like it. Keep Ubuntu as it is. Mabe an "Newbie Ubuntu" as a 3rd party, just keet the core stable.

aysiu
October 12th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Isn't part of Ubuntu not having a "Pro" version?
In any case, what you're describing sounds a lot like Linspire, and if Grandma's willing to shell out money for Linspire, then she can have it.

JimmyJazz
October 12th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Yes other distros have done these things but I think it would be silly for Ubuntu not to realize the benefits of making linux easier for new Linux users (while keeping it free). The word easy is the number one way to convert new non-linux users to Ubuntu.

Wolki
October 12th, 2005, 12:16 AM
So what I propose is a new version of Linux made just for those less tech savvy types. Perhaps with default helper wizards and mabey even built in simple tutorials on how to set up and use Ubuntu in the easiest way possible.

If there is a well working graphical tool, why not include it in main ubuntu? It wouldn't take that much space on the disk, and people who don't want to use them can simply ignore them. like they do with the tools that currently exist.

If there is no configuration tool, it is probably because there is none that is good enough yet, not because ubuntu is designed for the technical elite who don't need stuff like that.

xequence
October 12th, 2005, 12:29 AM
With windows, you get the same product with pro and home. That would be definitally a big step towards trying to be like windows.

Linux, to me, is easier to install and run then windows. It is definitally different, people who are used to the windows or osx way will find it different. With windows you need to find a bunch of drivers. I havnt needed to with ubuntu.

poofyhairguy
October 12th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Yes other distros have done these things but I think it would be silly for Ubuntu not to realize the benefits of making linux easier for new Linux users (while keeping it free). The word easy is the number one way to convert new non-linux users to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is trying to make it all easy. Easy is not always flashy help guides, often its doing the first thing that a user wants.

That said, someone could make a lot of money if they forked Ubuntu (but kept it compatible), added the restricted things like codecs and java, and added a few flash guides. And make brown not the default. Mark himself admits that the opportunity is ripe for someone to do that- he has encouraged Linspire to do it in the past.

Will Ubuntu ever do it? Well.....no....

First, Ubuntu will never ship with non free stuff even if all the laws restricting them went away tomorrow. Ubuntu is about showing the power of libre software.

Second, Flash and such tools to make the tutorials are closed technologies. There are open technologies like Flash so maybe if someone did it and submitted it to Ubuntu it might get included or be hosted here on the forum. But it would be a nightmare to translate those guides into every language that Ubuntu supports, and a big part about Ubuntu is giving users the best work in their native langauge. Plus, since Ubuntu does not sell the product there is not finacial motivation to do what would be very hard work.

Third, lets be honest, most users couldn't install Ubuntu. Even with the guides and everything its just to much to install any OS that isn't a magical recovery CD. So I contend (and many agree) that Ubuntu should only be released into the hands of a non nerd if a nerd has set up the box properly for them. I will also say that its that nerds responsibility to teach the user basic things about Ubuntu and help the new user if they have trouble. If you are going to spread Ubuntu, you have to do it right- do it yourself. Here is more on that subject:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862

Finally, Ubuntu right now still has many big usability issues even for nerds. Unlike MS that can rest on the laurels of an OS released four years ago (not counting service packs), Ubuntu needs to keep moving for a while till the biggest usuability problems are gone. That is where development resources should go. Maybe if we ever hit a point where it feels "done" such projects can become the new focus, but knowing Mark I don't think that will ever be the case.

Not that your idea is a bad idea, or that I have any say in the matter (just as much as you I have), it just seems like for these reasons such an effort might not occur within the Ubuntu project. But it would be a great way to make money for someone else. Mark has enough money rolling in, he doesn't care to make any off of Ubuntu beyond what it needs to stand of its own two feet longterm.

BWF89
October 12th, 2005, 01:09 AM
In my Introduction to Computers class at school the MacOS-9 iMacs we use have some tutorials for new computer users built right in. It include clicking and dragging files, useing a web browser, and a few other things.

Though these were obiousaly targeted towards people who have never picked up a mouse in their lives I couldn't help but feel that Ubuntu should have something like this built in. Or avalible as a download on Synaptic.

YourSurrogateGod
October 12th, 2005, 01:20 AM
I think Suse has a personal and professional editions.

qiezi!
October 12th, 2005, 02:09 AM
In my young and small experience with Ubuntu, I've found that it is _both_ a "Home" and "Pro" operating system... It was dead easy to install on my PC, far, far less to do than any Windows install, and everything worked straight out. For an average user, the basic "six" that Aysiu mentions in his excellent post: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58017 are all there to use. If there was anything else I wanted, Synaptic had it, and did everything for me. To me that was "Home" version.

Now that I'm getting a hold for the Ubuntu way of doing things, I can make it do whatever I want. I can reconfigure the kernel, I can change the way Ubuntu looks and runs, to a point I never could have done on Windows. To me this is the "Pro" version.

Poofyhariguy: I think you're right, most users probably couldn't install Ubuntu, it was probably easy for me cos I am a nerd (albeit a windows nerd). Still Ubuntu worked first time on three PCs at home. I reckon that's pretty good.

I like BWF89's suggestion. I recall our first PC was some package deal from a IBM-like company, and it had small tutorials that showed the basics, click and drag, using the web, etc. If I had any clue, I'd like to try and make something like that, as a 3rd party addon kinda thing.

Omnios
October 12th, 2005, 04:35 AM
cant resist

How about a hack job add-on lol.

Ubuntu
and
Ubuntu for dummies

Now I hate to say this but Ubuntu for dummies would defiantly draw attention from those familiar with the books and possibly a couple lawsuits.

stoffepojken
October 12th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I payed for Mandriva but I got more help here in this forums so I stay here for free...