PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get the Breezy iso on thursday?

stoffepojken
October 11th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Hello!

I was not around at the time that hoary was released so I have no experience in releasepartys except for SuSe 10.0 which I have tried to get for 2 days now. I thought that I could try KDE out for a few days before the breezy release but the SuSe mirrors seems to be down.

Is it possible to download Breezy the 13 or are we going to the same disaster as SuSe. How was it with the hoary release?

I am really looking forward to this.

Sorry for my English, hope you understand my question and I am sorry if there is 100 threads of this already. Delete it if so :)

Wolki
October 11th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Is it possible to download Breezy the 13 or are we going to the same disaster as SuSe. How was it with the hoary release?

The torrent should always work... we'll see how much load the normal servers will have. I only apt-getted the hoary-update, and I think that worked ok on release day, if a little slow. Breezy probably will be a bigger release, so we shall see.

Zelut
October 11th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Assuming its available first thing I always share the .torrent from two of my servers. That should help out. I've currently got the 5.04 and the 5.10RC on .torrent shares. Might be easier to get the RC and do the updates if it gets really slammed..

poofyhairguy
October 11th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Last time (for Hoary) the release slipped, so I'm trying not to pin my hopes on one day!

stoffepojken
October 11th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I hope this is not going to an anticlimax. Do you guys know what happened to the SuSe mirrors? I can get 10 kb/s if I am lucky. Strange two days after the release but I can try KDE another time...

mpettitt
October 11th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I'd suggest pulling the Release Candidate (ideally via Bittorrent) then doing a dist-upgrade through synaptic (Reload, then Mark All Upgrades). At some point, you will have a complete Ubuntu 5.10 release, then, assuming you repeat this process on a weekly/monthly basis, you can keep up-to-date with all the security patches released until Dapper turns up.

The other advantage of this is that you can start playing with the system now, and you don't have to wait for the final release...

UbuWu
October 11th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Last time (for Hoary) the release slipped, so I'm trying not to pin my hopes on one day!

Following the discussions on irc today, so far I have seen no reason for it to get slipped. One day and we will see... :KS

AgenT
October 11th, 2005, 11:50 PM
The day Breezy is released it will probably be very difficult in getting the iso from the website/ftp because not only will a bunch of users try to download it at the same time, but also there will most likely be non-Ubuntu users downloading it due to news sites. Slashdot will no doubt hammer Ubuntu pretty hard. Heck, it should not be a surprise if the Ubuntu website goes belly up (Ubuntu users + Slashdot = not good for servers).

But as others suggested above, go with the torrent because the more people that actually have it, the better your download will be. Of course, you may wait one or two days before downloading Breezy.

poofyhairguy
October 12th, 2005, 12:22 AM
The day Breezy is released it will probably be very difficult in getting the iso from the website/ftp because not only will a bunch of users try to download it at the same time, but also there will most likely be non-Ubuntu users downloading it due to news sites. Slashdot will no doubt hammer Ubuntu pretty hard. Heck, it should not be a surprise if the Ubuntu website goes belly up (Ubuntu users + Slashdot = not good for servers).

But as others suggested above, go with the torrent because the more people that actually have it, the better your download will be. Of course, you may wait one or two days before downloading Breezy.

Thats why you should install the release candidate now and upgrade to the final release on the day of. That is advice based on my experiance as a user, not as a moderator.

xequence
October 12th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Id definitally say go bittorent on this one. For bittorent the more users downloading, then with it completed and seeding, means really good speeds. I downloaded the release canditate (RC) today and got speeds of 200-300KBps. I got it all downloaded in 45 minutes or so...

Goober
October 12th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Since I bet a lot of people will be all trying to download the iso at the same time on the 13th (or whenever its released), you might be advised to download the iso now, then install it, and just upgrade when the final Release Candidate comes through. The Unstable release that it currently up, well, hasn't crashed or malfunctioned for me in about 7 days of usage, aside from minor glitches with Firefox.

stoffepojken
October 12th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Breezy, here we go... :)

Zelut
October 12th, 2005, 01:31 AM
If you haven't already seen it in my sig, Breezy is the only way to fly. You're going to love the changes :)

Lovechild
October 12th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Id definitally say go bittorent on this one. For bittorent the more users downloading, then with it completed and seeding, means really good speeds. I downloaded the release canditate (RC) today and got speeds of 200-300KBps. I got it all downloaded in 45 minutes or so...

And of course you seeded untill you reach at least 1:1 right?

Zelut
October 12th, 2005, 01:35 AM
I hope everyone is seeding all the time! I've got 5.04 & 5.10RC seeding both from work and my home servers. Share the love people :)

qiezi!
October 12th, 2005, 02:12 AM
When the final RC comes out (hopefully tomorrow), how will people start to seed it? By this I mean who will have the RC to seed, and how large will that group be?

stoffepojken
October 12th, 2005, 03:52 AM
I have my k-7 system up now and I will seed for a week or so. Looks great so far.
Thank you guys. Now it's up to me to configure this :) Thats the beauty of Linux...

And a big hug from me to the gnome project. I love gnome. It's simply the best...

gflores
October 12th, 2005, 05:39 AM
I was able to get SUSE 10 by late last Thursday with good speeds. Ubuntu is more popular (I think), but that's when I'm going to try to d/l it.