PDA

View Full Version : LightweightDesktop status

ghee22
October 11th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Does anyone know of the status of this? I've tried emailing the Ubuntu staff with no success. Since SoC has gone, was this a successful project? I know the staff must be really busy so maybe anyone can help me find if a Breezy LightweightDesktop install will be included (like the oem install)

mctavish
October 11th, 2005, 11:42 PM
The closest thing I know of is xubuntu, which is a lightweight xfce4 based desktop ubuntu under development at the moment.

They have a mailing list you could check out. They have a xubuntu-desktop metapackage in universe. But its early days for this project, so use it at your own risk.

ghee22
October 12th, 2005, 12:25 AM
The closest thing I know of is xubuntu
thanks.. i've looked into this.. it's promising i agree, but i'm afraid that xfce required heavy mem usage. IMO icewm is all that's really necessary when wanting to run apps like openoffice & firefox in my opinion. I may be wrong.. i don't want this to be a war but i would like to know the status with lightweightdesktop

ghee22
October 12th, 2005, 02:56 AM
here's instructions from Ubuntu's wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/LowMemorySystems) for a manual lightweight desktop