PDA

View Full Version : UbuntuHCL.org Explodes: 6000+ Unique visitors in 3 days!

samb0057
April 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
This site has been operating for quite a while, averaging about 4000 unique visitors a month. Three days ago, an article was put on lwn.net about my site, UbuntuHCL.org.

Since then (April 1st) I have received over 6000 unique visitors (2000 more than the entire month of march) and tons of signups and reviews. My server was overloaded, I had to shut down a bunch of unneeded processes and add APC functionality to my site to keep up. Since then people have been taking notice, and articles about my site are being posted all over the web. I received 1500 referrals from a site called opennet.ru, and a few hundred from a site called hup.hu. And traffic is not dying down, it's still increasing!

Check it out at www.ubuntuhcl.org.

The site's been around for a while, but it looks now like it's finally taking off. The reviews we have received only for April 2nd and 3rd (only half of the day of the 3rd, I'm writing this at noon) account for almost a quarter of the site's total reviews.

SomeGuyDude
April 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Congrats, man! Doesn't it feel great when a site blows up?

I remember when an article I wrote got Farked and Slashdotted and I had about 30,000 visitors in a day before my server shat out and I got 503'd. Dreamhost sent me an email saying to either stop being popular or upgrade. I changed hosts and haven't had that issue since.

hessiess
April 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
site just loads forever.

billgoldberg
April 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Server error.

macogw
April 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
heheh your server can't handle the traffic. Let us know when the accidental DDoS is over.

samb0057
April 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Yes we were having intermittent problems earlier. Should be fixed now. The occasional user will still randomly experience long wait times on pages that do complicated queries (namely the search page), but for the most part everything's running smooth. For most pages, generation takes an average of about .02 seconds. I'm working to optimize my VPS now to handle more hits, thinking about upgrading.