PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to see hits on your web site?

Jareth
April 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hi, I think there is a better part of the forum for this, but couldn't see it.

My bro is designing a web site and has a hit counter on it but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to see who has visited the site and which site they came from? I remember reading about it a while ago but can't remember what it is called (or if its legal for that matter).

Another thing with searching for it on google, I know you can register it and all that but what can you do besides that to get the page recognised when searched for. It is a fairly specific web site. There is only one site for this subject that google should come up with but for some reason it doesn't find it.

billgoldberg
April 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hi, I think there is a better part of the forum for this, but couldn't see it.

My bro is designing a web site and has a hit counter on it but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to see who has visited the site and which site they came from? I remember reading about it a while ago but can't remember what it is called (or if its legal for that matter).

Another thing with searching for it on google, I know you can register it and all that but what can you do besides that to get the page recognised when searched for. It is a fairly specific web site. There is only one site for this subject that google should come up with but for some reason it doesn't find it.

It can take a few weeks before the site shows up in google.

Google for "web ceo" if you want your site to get better results with search engines.

About the stats, I use wordpress, it's keeps stats automatically.

But google should give you some alternatives.

This seems like a good site for that:

http://www.onestatfree.com/

from that site:

"With the OneStat Free tracker you can easily:

* See how many visitors and pageviews you have
* Who your visitors are
* Which pages of your site are the most popular
* See how your visitors find your site, and where they are coming from
* What kind of browsers your visitors use
* What hours, days, weeks, months, quarters and years they are particularly active
* How your site performs compared with other web sites in the same category or country
* And much more!

The advantages of our free counter:

* Password protected
* Track unlimited web pages
* Free, Fast, Responsive, Quick loading and Reliable Service
* Drive free traffic to your site thanks to our categorized web site traffic charts
* Receive free traffic reports per e-mail
"

Jareth
April 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Solved!

Ta very much!

az
April 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Usually, no product or add-on is a good solution for your problem.

Depending on what software your site runs, it can be more or less search-engine-friendly. For Example, Joomla sites are less SEF than Drupal sites, out-of-the-box.

As for counters, there is no substitute for your own web server's stats. Does your hosting provider allow you to look at your stats? Most providers offer that for free. Your web site software can also keep tabs on that, as already mentioned.

Third-party counters frequently slow down your site and tend to spy on your users... I do not recommend them.

miggols99
April 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Does that mean everyone here is being spied on? Ubuntu Forums uses Google analytics...

az
April 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Does that mean everyone here is being spied on? Ubuntu Forums uses Google analytics...

Of course.

Dr Small
April 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
That can be prevented very easily with an entry to /etc/hosts. ;)

SomeGuyDude
April 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
www.statcounter.com is a great free solution.

There's also a pay counter called Mint that is amazing, if you feel like dropping the $30.