PDA

View Full Version : Very simple chat program

Nergar
April 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
Yes, i read the sticky.

I need help with my homework, I have to write a chat client/server but i was in the hopes of finding a very simple chat program that is open surce so I can fork it and write all the modules I need for it.

Like some say, "don't reinvent the wheel'

Does anyone know of a very simple chat client I can use?

Written in java / python / C# ?

Preferably java.

CptPicard
April 3rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Probably forking code from some existing project would defeat the purpose of the homework assignment, which is getting comfortable with basic client/server network programming. If you did that and I was teaching, I'd flunk you.

Besides, any reasonable project is going to be more complex than your homework assignment is expected to be. I fail to see what your contribution in this assignment would be, if not writing the fundamental bits and pieces you'd be getting in an over-complex form in the source of the project...

era86
April 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Please study sockets in either of those languages and you will see how easy it is to write such a program. Expecially in Python. There is an entire module just for socket programming.

kaens
April 3rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
The point of homework assignments, in programming, is largely to reinvent the wheel.

Just write it, it shouldn't be very hard if you've been paying attention in class.

Nergar
April 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM
ok, i'll do that. I guess you all are right.