PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new phone

tonyr1988
April 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
I've had a BlackBerry for a little while, but I'm tired of not having a data plan (AT&T doesn't have data plans for BlackBerrys, I can't afford the full one from them, and I can't switch from AT&T), so I'm shopping for a new one.

My contract is being renewed and I don't mind refurbished phones, so I can get them for a decent price.

What would you guys recommend as a good one? I'm pretty new to the smartphone phase, so I'm not sure what they are capable of. Things that are important to me (in general order of importance):

As little proprietary stuff as possible. :)
Bluetooth
Ability to add programs to it (do most Smartphones allow Java apps?) It'd be awesome to be able to do things like SSH into my Mythbuntu box while I'm away to schedule recordings, etc....
Phone / Video Recorder
WiFi
GPS would be cool (does it normally cost extra, or just regular data plan?)

I was looking at the BlackJack II - I can get it for $50, which isn't bad at all. I just don't know about Windows Mobile....is that any good? They tout the ability to do "cool" stuff like integrate to Microsoft Office, which does me no good.

Of course, the OpenMoko is my dream phone, but excluding it....what should I get? What phones do you have, and what do you like/hate about them?

tonyr1988
April 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
Tiny bump...I know we've gotta have some cell phone gurus around here.

whitefang5412
April 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Well...it may not be a smart phone but it does have some features you are looking for. The LG env is quite nice. Has a full qwerty keyboard, bluetooth, web browser, calender for scheduling crap, picture taking, video recording, much simpler to use than a blackberry or anything like that too...Just a suggestion. I got another one yesterday since I broke my last one walking around in the woods hunting. Good phones to. Very durable.

SomeGuyDude
April 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I hear the AT&T Tilt is good.

I have an enV and if all you want is web/text/camera it's great. You can't install anything on it, but that's not a need I have.

whitefang5412
April 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
I hear the AT&T Tilt is good.

I have an enV and if all you want is web/text/camera it's great. You can't install anything on it, but that's not a need I have.

Do people forget these days that phones also have the capability to make a call? lol Sorry, had to say that. You need to add talking in there to. :p

billgoldberg
April 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I don't see the point in smart phones, besides the show-off factor.

You might want to look at the htc phones (windows mobile), or wait for some phones that uses google's android or ubuntu mobile.

madjr
April 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
I've had a BlackBerry for a little while, but I'm tired of not having a data plan (AT&T doesn't have data plans for BlackBerrys, I can't afford the full one from them, and I can't switch from AT&T), so I'm shopping for a new one.

My contract is being renewed and I don't mind refurbished phones, so I can get them for a decent price.

What would you guys recommend as a good one? I'm pretty new to the smartphone phase, so I'm not sure what they are capable of. Things that are important to me (in general order of importance):

Bluetooth
Ability to add programs to it (do most Smartphones allow Java apps?) It'd be awesome to be able to do things like SSH into my Mythbuntu box while I'm away to schedule recordings, etc....
Phone / Video Recorder
WiFi
GPS would be cool (does it normally cost extra, or just regular data plan?)

I was looking at the BlackJack II - I can get it for $50, which isn't bad at all. I just don't know about Windows Mobile....is that any good? They tout the ability to do "cool" stuff like integrate to Microsoft Office, which does me no good.

Of course, the OpenMoko is my dream phone, but excluding it....what should I get? What phones do you have, and what do you like/hate about them?

ok, i wouldn't recommend those windows mobile phones..

i would wait for android based phones, but if you're in a hurry go with motorola smart phones.

They even have Linux as their OS, compatible with everything.

Trully great stuff and pda like interfaces with either touch screen or the stylus.

http://www.latest-mobile.com/wp-content/uploads/images/articles/3/Motorola_A1600.jpg

http://www.latest-mobile.com/articles/motorola/motorola-a1600-new-linux-smartphone-with-touch-sensitive-display_4422

MOTOMING 2 might take place in February 2007 at 3GSM Congress. it's a typo they refer to 2008

http://www.latest-mobile.com/wp-content/uploads/images/articles/3/MINGA16001.jpg

also
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8711151732.html

Mot's Linux-based RAZR2 V8 (good option too)
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3724634466.html

tonyr1988
April 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I don't see the point in smart phones, besides the show-off factor.

You might want to look at the htc phones (windows mobile), or wait for some phones that uses google's android or ubuntu mobile.

I was looking into Android more yesterday, and I'm impressed. They had a video series where they explained the details of the infrastructure. I downloaded the SDK and played around with it a bit - it seems (at first glance) to be very easy to pick up, but pretty customizable.

I think Google may know what they're doing....Android could really change things. :)

And I'm not huge on the smartphone craze, but they do have uses, especially if you are out frequently in situations that don't allow a laptop. Using GPS to see where you're at / how to get places is nice, you can look up movie times (even if you're in a foreign town and don't know any movie theater numbers), etc....in fact, I think those "data / smartphone" features are more important than, say, texting. Of course, that's just for my purposes.

Thanks for the help everyone - I'm off to more research.

mbarvian
June 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Well, I have an AT&T Tilt, and I love it. I just can't wait for Android to run on it (properly).:)

fatality_uk
June 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
This is an awesome phone
http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/mobilefirst_5.jpg

mbarvian
June 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
lol, that's funny. that looks like the motorola dynatac, 1985

fatality_uk
June 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
It's no oldy alright. And I HAD one. About 30 seconds talk time and a £/$ per minute call charge that would make peoples heads explode today :D

Back on topic, I like N95. Got a lot of features and compact.

b3n87
June 26th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Openmoko freerunner! Now in production!

www.openmoko.com