PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Geek Competition

schauerlich
April 3rd, 2008, 04:21 AM
I just stumbled upon this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLD060mKnqc

Vanderbilt University's School of Engineering had a "Fastest Geek Competition," wherein engineering students raced each other to assemble a computer in the fastest time possible.

Anyone think they can beat the champ's time?

LaRoza
April 3rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
Speed == Sloppy

No one cares how many seconds it takes, just how well it runs.

I would never rush through assembly anything I spent money on or planned on using.

schauerlich
April 3rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Speed == Sloppy

No one cares how many seconds it takes, just how well it runs.

I would never rush through assembly anything I spent money on or planned on using.

I don't think the goal of this competition was to see how good of a computer they could make, just how well they had the assembly process memorized.

LaRoza
April 3rd, 2008, 06:10 AM
I don't think the goal of this competition was to see how good of a computer they could make, just how well they had the assembly process memorized.

It isn't that hard...

I would be more concerned with how fast they could diagnose a problem and fix it.

schauerlich
April 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM
It isn't that hard...

I would be more concerned with how fast they could diagnose a problem and fix it.

It's also more fun for non-techie passersby to watch them slapping a computer together really quickly than to watch him poke around and troubleshoot. Since they did it in the most busy building on campus, I think that's what they were going for, to encourage donations for their department.