PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Do noobs thank staff to kiss butt?

Ripfox
April 3rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Just occurred to me. I mean that "thank you" button thingy. I know it is useful if someone REALLY helps you to let them know you are grateful...but I have seen thanks on some posts (particularly staff members) for really, really dumb crap. :lolflag:

clanky
April 3rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
I'm a noob and I use the thanks button loads, not because I want to "kiss butt" to anyone, it is just as simple as the fact that I am really really happy to have been helped by people. To be honest the only forums staff who i know as such are La Rozza because he is quite high profile and some french guy editted one of my posts when i forgot not to swear.

cardinals_fan
April 3rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
I thank people either if they help me or if they make a very worthwhile comment.

Ripfox
April 3rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm a noob and I use the thanks button loads, not because I want to "kiss butt" to anyone, it is just as simple as the fact that I am really really happy to have been helped by people. To be honest the only forums staff who i know as such are La Rozza because he is quite high profile and some french guy editted one of my posts when i forgot not to swear.

Yes, as you said, if someone ACTUALLY helps you...I was just wondering if there are people out there who use this feature frivolously (actually I know it happens alot) it's actually not that I care at all, it just crossed my mind and I posted it here in the cafe on a whim. :)

WarMonkey
April 3rd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah pretty much. I overuse the button, butt not to kiss but (see my awards).

Lord Illidan
All of you - thank me. Now.

All of those who took me seriously...well, LOL.

Wobedraggled
Thank you button?
:lolflag:

Ripfox
April 3rd, 2008, 01:03 AM

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Ripfox
April 3rd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Yeah pretty much. I overuse the button, butt not to kiss but (see my awards).

Are those supposed to be links so I can see your naughty posts?

LaRoza
April 3rd, 2008, 01:08 AM

LaRoza, profile not quite high enough :-)

A French guy? I am not familiar with all the staff, but the only French staff member I know is a female, but there could possibly be others.

(On that note, a bunch of the staff are female)

I have specifically stated not to thank my posts before.

WarMonkey
April 3rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Are those supposed to be links so I can see your naughty posts?

No, they were for inappropriate avatars and a program I asked to be reviewed which contained a bodypart, the thread was removed though.

WarMonkey
April 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM

A French guy? I am not familiar with all the staff, but the only French staff member I know is a female, but there could possibly be others.

Oh, sorry.

Ripfox
April 3rd, 2008, 01:15 AM
No, they were for inappropriate avatars and a program I asked to be reviewed which contained a bodypart, the thread was removed though.

A body part eh?

WarMonkey
April 3rd, 2008, 01:18 AM
Just occurred to me. I mean that "thank you" button thingy. I know it is useful if someone REALLY helps you to let them know you are grateful...but I have seen thanks on some posts (particularly staff members) for really, really dumb crap. :lolflag:

Wow, you just changed your avatar.

unknown03
April 3rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
dammit! ..I'm not seeing a thank button

Prefix100
April 3rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8940/winwc0.png

Thats me winning.

;)

cardinals_fan
April 3rd, 2008, 01:39 AM
dammit! ..I'm not seeing a thank button
You must follow these instructions EXACTLY as printed. At the bottom-right side of this post, you'll see a tiny star logo. Click it.

LaRoza
April 3rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
You must follow these instructions EXACTLY as printed. At the bottom-right side of this post, you'll see a tiny star logo. Click it.

There is a sticky in the Forum Feedback and Help, which has a guide to this feature.

ubuntu27
April 3rd, 2008, 01:54 AM
There is a sticky in the Forum Feedback and Help, which has a guide to this feature.

ha ha ha :D LaRoza, read cardinals's post again. You'll see that he is giving a hint of sarcasm :)

Here:

sloggerkhan
April 3rd, 2008, 01:58 AM
I don't see how this thread has been solved...
Nobody's done a research study where they interview noobs about the thanks buttons usage and then compile statistics...
Let me know when you have data. Until then....

JK JK... lol

cardinals_fan
April 3rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
But that guide won't thank ME! :)

LaRoza
April 3rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
But that guide won't thank ME! :)

Fishing for thanks is a no-no. Be careful...

cardinals_fan
April 3rd, 2008, 02:31 AM
We need a [sarcasm] tag in vB code...

SomeGuyDude
April 3rd, 2008, 02:35 AM
I don't use the button much. Probably because I generally hang out here in the Cafe, so I don't have much to be thanking folks for.

I'm stingy with 'em because I think if thanks are used like karma/rep on other boards, and people get thanked just for things like "that was funny!" or "I agree!" then it goes against the concept of thanks. You shouldn't have a lot of thanks unless you're doing a lot of helping, thus I reserve mine for when I have a problem and get helped, someone posts a solution to something, or a particularly awesome tutorial that I use.

I don't think I've thanked the mods very much, frankly. Maybe a few times.

LaRoza
April 3rd, 2008, 03:19 AM
We need a [sarcasm] tag in vB code...

Read the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct, I was serious.

I don't use the button much. Probably because I generally hang out here in the Cafe, so I don't have much to be thanking folks for.

I'm stingy with 'em because I think if thanks are used like karma/rep on other boards, and people get thanked just for things like "that was funny!" or "I agree!" then it goes against the concept of thanks. You shouldn't have a lot of thanks unless you're doing a lot of helping, thus I reserve mine for when I have a problem and get helped, someone posts a solution to something, or a particularly awesome tutorial that I use.

I rarely thank either, and I wish people didn't give them to me so freely. Although most are from genuine support or helpful posts, I get the occasionaly thanks for no particular reason.

Ripfox
April 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM

This is exactly what I was referring to, especially the part about thanking people for "that was funny" or "I agree" seems to defeat the purpose. :)

clanky
April 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM

Oops, think that may be more to do with the fact that I had just been kayaking (and hence drinking afterwards) than your profile.

The french "guy" was bapoumba, is there a way to tell whether someone is a he or a she (or in bapoumba's case an il or an elle)?

On the subject of butt kissing I did reply to the PM saying that my post had been edited, in french, which even I would admit to being blatant butt kissing! :D

justin whitaker
April 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Tactical Gamer used to use this forum software for their forums, and they had the thanks plugin enabled as well...when I saw that UF went in this direction, I thought oh-oh.

Cults of personality form quickly. If you are allowing people to thank others or provide some sort of acknowledgment for their help, then the system can be gamed. What ended up happening at Tactical Gamers was that the most prolific posters ended up getting thanked so much that it skewed any reporting...and they ended up dropping the thanks system.

It needs to be policed rigorously...something which I doubt admins really want to do.

Tristam Green
April 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
The forums I belong to for Final Fantasy XI online use the Reputation plugin for vBulletin. Believe me, drama ensues with the cults of personality generated by it.

To be honest, the highest-ranking folks on the boards couldn't care one way or the other about rep.

Generally, I only get rated up for making funny posts, or for lambasting someone when necessary.

st0n3cutt3r
April 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Thank you button?
:lolflag:

it's the little star-shaped medal icon (on a blue ribbon) immediately to the left of the quote button (on every post)

* [ > Quote ] [ [=] ] [ ,] ]

Kernel Sanders
April 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM

Don't tell me what to do. Consider yourself thanked for that post!

;)

st0n3cutt3r
April 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Read the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct, I was serious.

Of course you were serious, I doubt anybody is so obtuse as to need the additional warning (threat) "Be careful..."

It really is a little bit threatening, something, imho, not at all appropriate to feel from a mod. Especially in light of:

Bruce M.
April 3rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Well according to the Urban Dictionary I don't consider myself a noob (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob) and definitely not a nOOb (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=n00b) and only 2 out of 3 for a newbie (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=newbie). Don't ask. :)

Thanks!

A body part eh?

Bet it wasn't a foot either!

Back on topic.

BTB - "Before the Thanks Button" appeared I always thanked someone if they helped me in some quest. It's only normal and polite, a part of my upbringing.

ATB - "After the Thanks Button" appeared I still follow the above rule and hit the TB. After all, a personally typed "Thank you" doesn't take long, but it displays that you are taking some time to show your appreciation of help received.

ubuntu27
April 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Well according to the Urban Dictionary I don't consider myself a noob (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob) and definitely not a nOOb (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=n00b) and only 2 out of 3 for a newbie (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=newbie). Don't ask. :)

Thanks for those links. I like the second definition of noob provided. It is as if it were a thesis! Large content :)