PDA

View Full Version : Great YouTube video for Ubuntu stability.

stchman
April 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
This guy TRIED like hell to make Ubuntu crash and was unsuccessful. It was a modest PC with modest specs.

Go Ubuntu!!!!!

If he would have tried that with a Windows install it would crashed hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uCM_fAtmU

Crafty Kisses
April 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Nice haha, at first I thought it was Rick Roll.:lolflag:

mrsteveman1
April 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Vista has some serious issues with multitasking, video frequently becomes unwatchable if you do anything else on the system sometimes.

OS X, which i have only recently begun using, seems to do quite well under heavy load. I've seen it decode 1080i high def video flawlessly while i'm doing other things at the same time, i barely notice.

Crafty Kisses
April 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Vista has some serious issues with multitasking, video frequently becomes unwatchable if you do anything else on the system sometimes.

OS X, which i have only recently begun using, seems to do quite well under heavy load, lately i've seen it decode 1080i high def video flawlessly while im doing other things at the same time, i barely notice.

Yeah, it really does.

drubin
April 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
OS X, which i have only recently begun using, seems to do quite well under heavy load. I've seen it decode 1080i high def video flawlessly while i'm doing other things at the same time, i barely notice.

Macs ram hanleing is amazing!

Crafty Kisses
April 2nd, 2008, 11:00 PM

MACS are amazing at multi-tasking. :)

UpSignal
April 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
I got my gutsy crashed 5 or 6 times in 1 hour, untill i found out...it was compiz minimizing effects. I just had to click the minimize, and ubuntu freezed. The mouse didn't move, he just died. Lol, so it was pretty easy ;). i have compiz disabled now. I still don't really know the cause, as i have an nvidia 6600 256MB with envy installed

Crafty Kisses
April 2nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
I got my gutsy crashed 5 or 6 times in 1 hour, untill i found out...it was compiz minimizing effects. I just had to click the minimize, and ubuntu freezed. The mouse didn't move, he just died. Lol, so it was pretty easy ;). i have compiz disabled now. I still don't really know the cause, as i have an nvidia 6600 256MB with envy installed

I run Compiz with a very similar card as you, no problems over here, that's really weird.

Sef
April 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Moved to community cafe

chris4585
April 3rd, 2008, 06:10 AM
I've loaded over 65 gnome-terminal's before without major effects, but i have 4gb of ram to play with :lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
April 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
yeh she is pretty solid, I have done all sorts of crap with my system that I am sure would have had a windows user call in an exorcist to resolve any issues given by them.

macogw
April 3rd, 2008, 06:42 AM

amazingly bad? They use a *lot* of memory. A 2GB MacBook Pro frequently locked up on me without running much more than I normally run on Ubuntu with 1GB of memory...like, QuickBooks was the only "extra" thing.

Linuxratty
April 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
I can crash it...Play a video in You Tube. Mid way though the video,without stopping the video,close the window. Most o the time,Ubuntu will crash.
Hitting back after a video has started will also crash it.
of course,it might be Fire Fox that is crashing..

madjr
April 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
I can crash it...Play a video in You Tube. Mid way though the video,without stopping the video,close the window. Most o the time,Ubuntu will crash.
Hitting back after a video has started will also crash it.
of course,it might be Fire Fox that is crashing..

yea flash on my slow pc 1.6ghz and 512mb ram can make my system become unresponsive and i need to hit alt+ctrl+backspace ... not always but many times.

i can do all that stuff in the vid and my sys is rock stable. I guess flash is the weak spot of my system, i wish gnash was more advanced, but swfdec seems to be getting there :)

3rdalbum
April 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Macs aren't that great at multitasking. I've seen plenty of Macs running slowly after starting Classic, which is essentially a virtualiser for a very lightweight operating system.

tdrusk
April 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I don't think a youtube video is that good of an idea considering my, and other peoples, browser crashes 80% of the time when viewing flash content.

fissionmailed
April 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think a youtube video is that good of an idea considering my, and other peoples, browser crashes 80% of the time when viewing flash content.

This never happens to me. :confused:

ODF
April 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM

Youtube + Audacious on my computer = disaster.

Flash on a 64bit machine can be tricky. =)

terabyte1
April 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Well I got my first Ubuntosome time ago, erm 6.10, I liked it so much that when I upgraded to Feisty Fawn (7.04), I got rid of my dual boot with Vista Ultimate... I'm now on Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) and looking forward to the Hardy Heron (8.10?) when it comes out. In all of that time its not crashed once - and i've been quite labour-intensive since I do a lot of Photography and listen to Music like Xink,Declan Galbraith, Outl4w etc on here.

I wear clothing that says what my OS is (Ubuntu) and get a few curious stares but nowone has asked me yet what Ubuntu is (probably they are using it themselves.

Cheers and Best Wishes from Northumberland!

terabyte1

atomkarinca
April 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Closing the flash mid way through doesn't crash the system, sometimes it makes the browser unresponsive.

madjr
April 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM

flash doesn't crash much on faster dual-core systems.

but the huge memory leaks make it crash a lot on slower PC with 512mb ram or less.

The less the ram, the more it will tend to crash and FF will stay in memory.

Then you need to alt+crtl+backspace or open terminal: killall firefox-bin

really annoying, makes ubuntu looks bad, many of my friends say they don't think it's as stable as windows..

stupid adobe

Mr. Picklesworth
April 3rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
amazingly bad? They use a *lot* of memory. A 2GB MacBook Pro frequently locked up on me without running much more than I normally run on Ubuntu with 1GB of memory...like, QuickBooks was the only "extra" thing.

Hah, that's nothing! I had a 2.4 gHz iMac lock up when no apps were open, simply moving the mouse to the top left corner of the screen so I could turn it off. Halfway through that simple mouse movement, it inexplicably beachballed on me and never returned. It had a rough day of number crunching prior to that, so I guess just couldn't make it through the final two seconds.

Having said that, the user interface is clearly designed with background processes in mind. I would be surprised if multitasking performance was not on their list of priorities.

Tundro Walker
April 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I crashed Vista without even really knowing I was doing so.

I was applying some updates that required reboot, so it reboots, the scroll bar goes, then ... it goes to a blank screen and just sits there for a minute. It usually just blank screens for 5 seconds before moving on to the Windows Pearl, so I thought it locked up and rebooted.

Turns out (in hindsight), I had re-rebooted on the blank screen when it was applying more of the updates. There was no progress bar or any screen to tell me so, so how the heck was I supposed to know. By manually rebooting in the middle of that, I started down a long, painful road of file corruptions, blue screens, constant check-disks, screwing around with recovery cd, and eventually the winload.exe getting corrupted and unrecoverable. So, I had to clean install.

So, common user sees a blank screen for a long time, they think "computer locked up ... need to reboot again". Microsoft, however, thinks it means "please stand by ... applying your updates". Because of this one usability issue, you can basically hose up your whole Vista install.

And, the best part, you don't have to be some uber-leet, world-class hacker to do so! +1 for Microsoft, for helping the "little guy" feel like a pro-hacker!

barbedsaber
April 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I am running hardy, and sometimes one of the individual components of it crashes, but it doesn't bring down the whole system, I just click force quit, and it ACTUALLY QUITS!

remember with windows, getting those errors, and clicking end now, and nothing happening for like, 5 minutes.
gotta love Ubuntu.

ever notice how fast windows is?

me neither.

mrsteveman1
April 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Windows task manager routinely refuses to force quit a process, even if that process is holding up the entire system. I've come to really not like NT itself for such reasons.

The other one that always concerned me was the 80+ long list of "services" in windows, but without 80 such processes running. Turns out they are all running under one process, with the same memory space. Bleh.