PDA

View Full Version : What Makes Ubuntu Great

irish rebel
October 11th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Guys , I have been thinking about this for quite a while ,it's the community that makes ubuntu great, look at the backports project, the ubuntu guide and now for Breezy easy ubuntu .Look at the fast prompt replies on several forums. THE DEVELOPERS LISTEN TO THE USERS and that shows a certain level of respect for the users. I remember trying mepis last year it was #3 on distrowatch I was floored that a crappy distro could be rated so high, the distro came with every known application was slow to boot , slow to run but its community was awesome. The ubuntu distro obviously listens to the users and the feedback on the forums, because its lightweight [in comparison to most distros] but very easy to maintain the update ability is great .....I could go on and on...great job Ubuntu

UbuWu
October 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM
THE DEVELOPERS LISTEN TO THE USERS and that shows a certain level of respect for the users.

I had some bugs I filed fixed within two hours! :cool: On the other hand, a lot are still open after six months...

Kapre
October 11th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Great people (devs) working on the OS and the very helpfull community (forum) which I could also say the greatest (after having been to different forums). That is what making Ubuntu OS the greatest Linux distro.

K

UbuWu
October 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Great people (devs) working on the OS and the very helpfull community (forum) which I could also say the greatest (after having been to different forums). That is what making Ubuntu OS the greatest Linux distro.

K

That is true, but ideally ubuntu would be so perfect you wouldn't need forums (at least not for help or howto's) :p

az
October 11th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Instead of focusing on existing packages and harvesting them, Canonical's plan seems to be to focused on tending to developers, too. For example, the goal of Launchpad is to facilitate open source developments.

They want you to be able to write a patch for one apllication and your patch gets upstream so that it can benefit other distributions, too. The same with translations and so forth.

The fact that development is community based and open is also a big plus. They do not have private mailing lists or private meetings like other distributions do.

gw90se
October 11th, 2005, 06:12 PM
What made the biggest difference for me was the forum. I am not a computer programmer. I am basically a desk top user. I surf, e-mail, listen to music, manage a small personal web site, type letters and so forth. I just wanted away from all the crap that can infest Windows. After reading (lurking) on various forums about the different distros, I chose ubuntu because of the folks here and the fact that they help noobs, not talk over their heads. Sure I had a few set-up issues. What I could not search and find an answer for, was asked and answered here.

Recently, there was a thread referring to an article aboout whether or not Linux was ready for the desktop. Well, for this desktop user it is.

Thanks to all of you. =D>

`GooZ´
October 11th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I even didn't have to post about my problems in forums, because they were already solved somewhere else (you can see that on my post count). Great job!

Omnios
October 11th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Guys , I have been thinking about this for quite a while ,it's the community that makes ubuntu great, look at the backports project, the ubuntu guide and now for Breezy easy ubuntu .Look at the fast prompt replies on several forums. THE DEVELOPERS LISTEN TO THE USERS and that shows a certain level of respect for the users. I remember trying mepis last year it was #3 on distrowatch I was floored that a crappy distro could be rated so high, the distro came with every known application was slow to boot , slow to run but its community was awesome. The ubuntu distro obviously listens to the users and the feedback on the forums, because its lightweight [in comparison to most distros] but very easy to maintain the update ability is great .....I could go on and on...great job Ubuntu

Community=:KS :KS :KS :KS :KS
Totally agree with community and a sense of belonging.

gflores
October 11th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Gotta agree with everyone else. I was at SUSE forums and that place just doesn't seem active nor loaded with tons of information like Ubuntu forums is.

xequence
October 11th, 2005, 09:12 PM
1. Community has been great for the most part
2. The fact its only one CD
3. Hardware detection
4. New release every six months (I switch my OSes around every couple weeks anyway, so a new release is great! Ive done 5+ installations of windows in the last month, and a couple of ubuntu installs.)
5. The only linux distro that accually works for me.