PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in linux in your spare time

Mauler5858
April 1st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Ill start:

Trying to find more and more reasons to get away from Microsloth.
Messing with themes.
Pushing Wine to its limits with games.
Graphic and Video editing.

jarvis13
April 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
edit photos of people i know in incriminating situations for later use.

Perfect Storm
April 1st, 2008, 06:47 PM
Writing gaming guides for Ubuntu 64-bit
Helping out on the forums
Making a game entry nowandthen

Sometimes I play around with kino and gimp to make some stuff.

macogw
April 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
IRC, forums, poke at things to see how to break/break worse/fix them...

eragon100
April 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
Gaming! Mostly native titles like regnum online, savage 1, nexuiz, battle for wesnoth, tremulous, x3: the threat, northland (just got those two from tuxgames.com), neverwinter nights, doom 3, and a lot of others. I rarely emulate a title, the only ones i do being star wars knights of the old republic, star trek legacy, oblivion, call of duty 4, and star wars jedi knight 2 jedi outcast. I think there are enough games available for linux for native gaming though. I don't have windows, and with the last few releases, i think wine is a better gaming system than vista. Civiliation 4 isn't the only game that runs under wine and doesn't run under vista. (according to microsoft, not just gamers. If you count the unofficial reports, you can add counter strike: source and oblivion to that list, amongst others) :)

Off course, I browse the web (these forums for example :lolflag:), watch movies, and listen music.

sujoy
April 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
in spare time i do all sort of things ........

movies
music
casual surfing
theming (constant changes are a must for me :) )
distro testing with live cds
IM
download
search for applications

SomeGuyDude
April 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'm a writer. If I'm not tweaking my theme, I'm writing. I'd like to have my book finished before summer, but damn I'm getting slapped around by class. 25 page papers, hooray.

zvezdogled
April 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
watch movies
surf the web
listen to music
read news
etc.

ARhere
April 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
I play EVE Online and WoW.

I sometimes mess with network-admin related tools and enjoy learning more about Linux.

P.S. I have been 100% Ubuntu in my house for 5 months now... no Windows...anywhere! w00t!

-AR

zeller
April 1st, 2008, 07:15 PM
A lot of the usual. Right now I'm mostly into GIMPing my photos.

Superkoop
April 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Oh lots of things, really depends on my mood.
Games (TMW)
Listening to music
Watching a movie once and a while
Surfing teh web
Going to various forums
Customizing me theme with custom graphics
GIMPing pics
Messing with Blender
Write once and a while
Post on my blog when I get bored
Check my Facebook messages
IM with Pidgin
Make a feather for Songbird
And when I get really bored, work on my crappy website =P
And sometimes, I play around with Ruby and Python.

andrek
April 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Listening to music

-gabe-noob-
April 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
How that gamer got Regnum to work I'll never know...

Seirously I don't get how to make it run natively.

NightwishFan
April 1st, 2008, 10:01 PM
Poke around looking for bugs in Hardy. posting on Ubuntu Forums while playing some music. Also some Urban Terror/Frozen Bubble when I am bored.

madjr
April 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM
no Windows...anywhere! w00t!

-AR

u at least have a door right :confused:

Linuxratty
April 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
Oh,the usual;
Go to various forums.
Mess around with the Gimp.
Watch a movie, or a video.
Surf the web.
Read about whatever strikes my fancy that I want to learn about.
Listen to music.
I might play a game.
And yes,I'll tweak the desktop now and again to make it look different..new wall paper,that sort of thing.

retrow
April 2nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
I'm learning openGL. So when I am not working I am messing around with code. Some times I am on the forums, but recently I have been on UF quite a lot, especially since Hardy Alphas started coming out.

Its too bad that 'Gnometris' has some kind of a trouble which hasn't been addressed since the Edgy era, or else I would have played Gnometris at every chance I'd have got.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 2nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
Teaching CellWriter to understand my writing. (Really!)
The teaching part is pretty transparent, actually. I just have to correct it whenever it thinks wrong (and it isn't my fault); the error rate is almost on par with Microsoft's system, and miles above Apple's, which is pretty darn good.

Right now I am spending my spare time working through The Elements of Computing Systems, which is a really fascinating book. (Really a university course, but the book is fine for self-learning). The software runs on Linux, so I am happily poking away at my very own simulated computer system, going from NAND upwards. I guess I could be considered weird, but I have wanted to understand why my code magically does what I say for a long time now, so this is really exciting!

Oooh, Nibbles has online play with GGZ. Looks like you won't be seeing from me for a while.
...Darnit, hurry up and take over the world, GNOME, so I can play Nibbles with humans!
(If you have the newer version, join my game!).

Programming. Scribes is the best source code editor ever. Currently building a slideshow... A super-intelligent slideshow that magically appeals to all people as they install Ubuntu.

Playing with FlightGear, for some reason, even though I don't like flight simulators...

News -- RSS is great... and, combined with Liferea, addictive.

23meg
April 2nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs

fissionmailed
April 2nd, 2008, 03:49 AM
Programming, not that I'm good at it. :(

cardinals_fan
April 2nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Pathetic Perl scripting
GIMPing images for phony results
Playing Enigma or Tetravex
Customizing my Conky

drascus
April 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
Well I watch videos about Free Software and read articles online. I also play a little Alien Arena now and then. I post stuff on the forums. I chat on pidgin. I install different distros, wallpapers, themes, DE's. I look at the internet telescope at slooh.com. Listen to my ogg vorbis collection. watch TV on freetube.110mb.com/ work on my programming skills. Umm Ok the list is getting really long and I still have stuff to add. So yeah a lot of stuff...

KiwiNZ
April 2nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
What I do every night

Try to take over the World

Perfect Storm
April 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
What I do every night

Try to take over the World

http://mag.awn.com/issue8.08/8.08images/goodman02_PinkyBrain-01.jpg

wPwLUi3N
April 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
enjoy and admire.

Junkieman
April 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
pc is setup as an entertainment system (ie no desk/chair)
music and movies mainly. :popcorn:
would love to get stuck in python though!

misfitpierce
April 2nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Design Websites
Forums
Browse Web
Everything Basically... Only use Ubuntu... Ditched Windows and Mac.

BigSilly
April 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
All my Linux time is spare time! I love trying to get my favourite emulators running on Linux. People say there's no gaming on Linux, but I've have done nothing but game since I first installed it! Just discovered VICE the Commodore emulator, and looking forward to some fun with that. It seems a bit complicated, but hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

I can't explain it, but there's just something so right about emulating Commodore machines on Linux....I love it!

kutjara
April 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Endless tinkering with the inner workings of Linux, usually right up to (and then past) the point when I break something. Then I spend many more happy hours trying to fix what I broke. Once that's done, I start trying to break something else. I'm currently much better at the breaking than the fixing, but I'm hoping that'll change over time.

NightwishFan
April 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
=D pinky and brain.

ShodanjoDM
April 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Gaming and browsing mostly.

And trying to find a way to make this pc to serve me a glass of iced coffee whenever i want.