PDA

View Full Version : That's It...i Am Through With Hp !!!

newbie2
April 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Here's the HP statement:

HP Position Statement on Standardization of Office Document Formats

Hewlett-Packard Company is in favor of standards for office document formats, including the Office Open XML (OOXML) and Open Document Format (ODF) standards. We believe that the two standards will co-exist interoperably, and that customers should have the opportunity to select the standards which best fit their needs.

HP believes that the international standardization process is working. This process has already significantly improved the OOXML specification and additional evolution of it will take place under control of the global community if the specification is ratified by ISO/IEC JTC 1.

In the current vote on OOXML at JTC 1, HP is supporting an affirmative vote in those national standards bodies in which HP is active.

Could it be any more cynical? So, now we know that HP is not supportive of Linux and FOSS as we thought. Knock me over with a feather. So, they got them to change on the basis of promises for the future. I'm sure there's more to the story, of course.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080331212042460

wPwLUi3N
April 3rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
I dont think HP will ever support linux. They are more less microsoft/apple puppy.

gn2
April 4th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I dont think HP will ever support linux.

Despite having the best Linux printer driver support of any printer manufacturer?
And the excellent HPLIP software?

Then there's this (http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/309906-0-0-0-121.html) to consider.

Still think HP is anti-Linux.....?

madjr
April 4th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Despite having the best Linux printer driver support of any printer manufacturer?
And the excellent HPLIP software?

Then there's this (http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/309906-0-0-0-121.html) to consider.

Still think HP is anti-Linux.....?

exactly, HP is not anti-linux (maybe their laptops are...)

but, yea i also believe they are puppies of ms...

i guess they don't care if it's odf or oxml, they just want to print stuff.

note: i said Oxml and not OOXML, the first "O" means "Open", so till i don't actually see it's being really opened, i refuse to call it that.

OXML is the better term

whitefang5412
April 4th, 2008, 02:03 AM
exactly, HP is not anti-linux (maybe their laptops are...)

but, yea i also believe they are puppies of ms...

i guess they don't care if it's odf or oxml, they just want to print stuff.

note: i said Oxml and not OOXML, the first "O" means "Open", so till i don't actually see it's being really opened, i refuse to call it that.

OXML is the better term

I have an HP laptop running linux mint 4.0 and it runs just fine. I dont think HP is that anti-linux, although my next laptop will be a dell with ubuntu pre-installed.

tbroderick
April 4th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I dont think HP will ever support linux. They are more less microsoft/apple puppy.

They already support Linux. They are one of the key "platinum" sponsors of the Linux Foundation, donated the servers which kernel.org run on, and have paid employees contributing to the kernel.

gtchamp7
April 4th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Personally, as long as HP makes good products, it doesn't matter to me.

And, as per madjr's post, I have not experienced any 'anti-Linux' aspects in HP's laptops as I have installed 4 different distros on my HP dv8210us (Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Sabayon Linux, VectorLinux; at different times of course) and Ubuntu for my mother on her Compaq Presario F700 (Compaq's are HP's now a days; some models are exactly the same but one has HP and one has Compaq) and I have not experienced any difficulty.

zmjjmz
April 4th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Last time I checked, HP is run by a committee, so one division of HP could be MS lackeys while the other could be Linux developers.

tubasoldier
April 4th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I've been done with HP for a while. I had a series of bad purchases from them that ensued in hours upon hours on the phone with some girl named "Sally" who lived in India.

I'm not done with HP because of morals, but because of terrible customer support and terrible hardware.