PDA

View Full Version : Audible.co.uk - Linux unfriendly?

whitefort
April 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Ok, so I just signed up with Audible.co.uk.

In my innocence, I thought that it would be a simple matter of paying my money, downloading my book, and happily listening to it.

Silly me. I'd forgotten about stuff like Digital Restrictions Management.

I picked my book, created an account, and pressed the PROCEED button.

Only then (after my card had been debited) was I taken to a page where I was told I'd have use their proprietary software to download my purchase.

And, as you've guessed, it's only available for Windows and Macs.

I've sent them a polite rant about this, which will be utterly futile.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it and maybe save someone else the aggravation.

ice60
April 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
i've heard people complain about the DRM at audible.com, is that the same place?

maybe these people do drm free stuff -
http://www.randomhouse.com/audio/
it says you can buy their books from from audible.com??? this is why i don't help in other parts of the forum, i'm not very good at it lol
http://www.randomhouse.com/audio/about/audiobookdownloadfaq.html

whitefort
April 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hi,

Yes, it's the UK branch of the same firm, and yes, Digital Restrictions Management is the problem.

What really annoyed me was that it was only after they took my cash that they told me they didn't do Linux.

In fairness to them, it looks like they're going to give me a refund without too much hassle. To be honest, I was tempted just to fire up my last remaining Windows computer and just use it to get the download I'd paid for (and really wanted)

But then I thought... Dammit, really, unless these people start to learn that ignoring Linux means lost sales, they're just going to keep on ignoring us.

Personally I would like to see lots and lots of Linux users emailing Audible and firms like them, asking for equal treatment. I suspect that's the only reason the BBC's iPlayer scheme provided any coverage for Linux users at all (though it's still way behind what Windows and Mac users get).

ice60
April 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM
well, i think they were recently bought by amazon, is their music store Free? maybe they'll change things?

BigSilly
April 1st, 2008, 10:40 PM
In fairness to them, it looks like they're going to give me a refund without too much hassle. To be honest, I was tempted just to fire up my last remaining Windows computer and just use it to get the download I'd paid for (and really wanted)

But then I thought... Dammit, really, unless these people start to learn that ignoring Linux means lost sales, they're just going to keep on ignoring us.

Personally I would like to see lots and lots of Linux users emailing Audible and firms like them, asking for equal treatment. I suspect that's the only reason the BBC's iPlayer scheme provided any coverage for Linux users at all (though it's still way behind what Windows and Mac users get).

Good for you on that score. We had much the same problem with Audible here, and like you we just took our money elsewhere. The missus sent a complaint in, but these companies can obviously afford to turn custom away, so they just ignore you.

As it is, whenever I have been ignored or jilted as a Linux user, I'll complain strongly. They have to be aware that they've lost money. The BBC can take the mickey on that score, since they get our money either way, but needless to say I've complained and signed petitions etc.

I cannot believe, especially when you consider the growth in online retail, that companies can afford to lock you out of spending money with them. Can somebody please explain it to me?

K.Mandla
April 1st, 2008, 11:54 PM
If you're interested, there are free audiobooks available in ogg format at http://librivox.org.

Quality is sometimes quite good, and the selection seems to be growing at a rather impressive rate. It's mostly free or classic books though, so don't look for the latest stuff there.

Just thought I'd mention it.