PDA

View Full Version : Gmail Invites

costoa
December 7th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I've got five gmail invites up for grabs. If you want one please post a message below (so people wanting one will know when they're gone) and send an email to costoa1357@gmail.com (remove the numbers from the address). The offer expires on Saturday, December 11, 0000 GMT. I don't want people emailing me weeks from now asking for one =).

Thanks

lloyd
December 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Me! Pick Me! :-)

sassur
December 7th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Hi, I'm very intrested in a Gmail account.

russherman
December 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Please and Thank You (like my mommy taught me)

AlexMorin
December 7th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I would love an invite, thank you very much !

nico1278
December 7th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I'm very interested of getting gmail account.
Thank you.

BWF89
December 7th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Instead of putting numbers it's easier to change the @ sign...

Costoa(at)gmail.com

costoa
December 7th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Gmail invites sent to: lloyd, sassur, russherman, AlexMorin and nico1278. That went quicker than I thought. BTW, thanks to ~zoey~ here for my Gmail invite a few weeks ago.

Enjoy!

sassur
December 7th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks!!!

costoa
December 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Instead of putting numbers it's easier to change the @ sign...

Costoa(at)gmail.com

Yeah, it's easier but I've seen spambots that can get around it. My work email address to ends in "4" and sent as:

"xxxxxxx41357@xxxxxxx.ca (remove the prime numbers)"

That seems to hold the spammers at bay. It's sad one has to do this. At one point I was getting over 100 spams a day and ended up killing off a long term address (one I had since 1988). I hoping between kludging my gmail address and Google's superior technology I can keep the same address for more than a couple of years.

AlexMorin
December 7th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks fo the Gmail invite !

Is there a way to get an invite for my gfriend ? Is anyone else as nice as Costoa ?

;-)

Cygnia
December 7th, 2004, 06:53 PM
I have three invites left to give out; email me at my regular email and I'll send them out:

cygnia|||AT|||sonic|||DOT|||net (remove the pipes)

costoa
December 7th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks fo the Gmail invite !

Is there a way to get an invite for my gfriend ? Is anyone else as nice as Costoa ?

;-)

Sent out number six to your new gmail address (details in email).

Thanks

jdodson
December 7th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Sent out number six to your new gmail address (details in email).

Thanks

anyone need any send me a forum message with your email address i have two invites left.

BWF89
December 7th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the info about advanced spambots. I didn't think they were all that smart but apparently not...

Crisp
December 8th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, it's easier but I've seen spambots that can get around it. My work email address to ends in "4" and sent as:

"xxxxxxx41357@xxxxxxx.ca (remove the prime numbers)"

That seems to hold the spammers at bay. It's sad one has to do this. At one point I was getting over 100 spams a day and ended up killing off a long term address (one I had since 1988). I hoping between kludging my gmail address and Google's superior technology I can keep the same address for more than a couple of years.
1988?! When you say long term in respect to an email address, I think of around a three year time span. 16 years is, well, some kind of record surley. Respect to you.

I have 12 gmail invites to give away. If anyone wants one, email me at tehcrisp at gmail, but you've gotta give me a short reason why you deserve one from me :D

-Crisp

costoa
December 10th, 2004, 03:00 PM
1988?! When you say long term in respect to an email address, I think of around a three year time span. 16 years is, well, some kind of record surley. Respect to you.

I have 12 gmail invites to give away. If anyone wants one, email me at tehcrisp at gmail, but you've gotta give me a short reason why you deserve one from me :D

-Crisp

Yeah, I was able to keep an address on a mail server at my former school from '88 to '98, when I finally killed it off. Email, USENET, UN*X talk command and zephyrgrams were pretty much the only way to have a useful conversation then so my address was well used.

It was funny, back then it was illegal in the US to sell individuals Internet access. You got it through your school or if you were very lucky through work. Spam was completely unknown. Once in a rare while someone would post on USENET an advertisement and most likely they'd lose their access the next day. If an admin was too slow to boot the user and post an apology it was possible he'd find a few people trying to email him a 2g tar file containing VMS. =) Punishment was swift and harsh.

The Internet has totally changed since then. In some ways for the better (like my 3mbit down access for $40USD a month) and some ways for the worse (spam, trolls, phishing, scams, AOL, free iPod Ponzi schemes, etc.).

As for a record my brother-in-law has had the same email address (although used infrequently these days) since '86. There are a few guys at bbn (Bolt, Beranek and Newman) that have had the same address for even longer. Those guys are real "old school". =)

ronin
January 5th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I have about a dozen of these that I can give away also. If anybody wants one, send you e-mail address to me at toddlove.6147979@bloglines.com. (By the way, Bloglines is great for these sorts of things, you can create temporary, throwaway, e-mail addresses and just delete it when the project is done.)

TopDog
January 5th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I have some too if anybody's interested, send me a PM with invite mailadress and I'll send it.

machiner
January 7th, 2005, 03:17 PM
like I said - email me and I'll invite you. I have 5 left

nocturn
January 7th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I'm curious, what are those invites?
I've not followed the Gmail thing very close, but I was under the impression that it was a free-E-mail system, so you could just sign up for an account.

But now I've seen these invites popping up all over...

PS. Yes, I've spend a short while on another planet, Mars was nice over christmas ;-)

ronin
January 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Is Mars nice this time of year? :D

Yes, it is a free e-mail service, but right now they it is still in beta, so they haven't opened it up. You can't go to their website and sign up for it. The only way to get an account is to get an invitation from somebody who already has one.

frankps
January 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I have 6 invitations as well.

Anyone that wants one, e-mail me : frankps - at - gmail.com

Buffalo Soldier
January 8th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I have 4 invites. PM me your email address.

Enzo386
January 8th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I also have four invites, email me at Eian516@gmail.com if your interested

maradong
January 8th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I have 5 more invites. Mail me at bob dot hentges at gmail dot com and I'll sent you one.