PDA

View Full Version : Setback for FOSS in South Africa

kadissie
October 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Just thought this should be more widely known:
http://mg.co.za/articledirect.aspx?articleid=253198

It appears that Microsoft has negotiated a deal to install their software in public telecentres throughout South Africa. The Shuttleworth Foundation's position, that "there are many software alternatives in open source", starts to sound a little hollow; if Microsoft is offering to install and maintain the software, what open source company is going to offer such a service for free, even if the software is free as in beer?

Microsoft is offering the better deal. Yes, I know it's not better in the long run and morally and all that, but what can be done?

BoyOfDestiny
October 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Just thought this should be more widely known:
http://mg.co.za/articledirect.aspx?articleid=253198

It appears that Microsoft has negotiated a deal to install their software in public telecentres throughout South Africa. The Shuttleworth Foundation's position, that "there are many software alternatives in open source", starts to sound a little hollow; if Microsoft is offering to install and maintain the software, what open source company is going to offer such a service for free, even if the software is free as in beer?

Microsoft is offering the better deal. Yes, I know it's not better in the long run and morally and all that, but what can be done?

The long run seems to be at 3 year increments. I don't know about you, but although it may be renewed etc, 3 years isn't far off into the future.

vayu
October 11th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Money grubbing scum......

poptones
October 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM
It's not cheaper at all. Not cheaper in the short term, not cheaper in the long run. Because it's not just about money, but about jobs. Using locally developed software and talent will help the nation develop stonger economic infrastructure. Giving this contract to Microsoft essentially amounts to SA exporting jobs to a US multinational. Giving the first hit away for free is the oldest foot in the door trick... just ask any crackhead.

nsa_767
October 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM
This is terrible.... Knowing MicroSoft, they'll only do this for the first few years, then when the parties involved are dependant upon them, they'll suddenly sneak in some costs....

Though, I'm not sure it is valid to say this will adversely affect our economy.... MS employs quite a large number of people here in SA and will probably employ more in order to maintain these systems. Hence, it'll create jobs.

Do we have any reason to believe that an open-source implementation of the same-sort would create more jobs?

All in all, I just don't like MS... So, I would have preferred an open solution.

marketing_ubuntu
October 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Please help our team today..

We need to enlarge our team membership to reach a larger audience. We need: Speakers, Tech Support, Installers etc. _internationally_. Let's not wait for more of this..

It's what we do now - it's about how we respond as a community. If we're not prepared to work - then it will just take longer (oh - but it's coming..). Come on - just join as a contact for your country - help us liaise, teach and help the communities.

FREEDOM: Comes at a price - perhaps the sacrifice of 1hr of your time? If you're already doing it, join us to be able to quantify it. Let's learn together..

Please support us - your Ubuntu Needs You. Now.

Goober
October 12th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Ya, lets wait until the 3 years are up, then see if Microsoft is still feeling so beneficial. I hope these South Africans realize that Microsoft might be free for a couple years, but will charge them an arm and a leg when they can. Free Software is Free forever.

I hope that they realize this. Microsoft wants money, not to help people with an OS.