PDA

View Full Version : Open-Source Multiplatform Flowchart software?

PartisanEntity
April 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hello all,

I am looking for an open source and cross platform application to make simple flowcharts. Anyone know of one ? (Something like MS Visio?).

Thanks!

Xzallion
April 1st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Dia (http://live.gnome.org/Dia) might be what your looking for.

PartisanEntity
April 1st, 2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks very much, Dia is great.

quinnten83
April 1st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the DIa, Kivio people merged with OO.o draw to create a program to truly rival visio? And you could also save the files in Visio format?
I need visio a lot and unfortunately, kivio, Dia or OO.o draw don't come near to what I need in functionality. Actually they come somewhere near, they just don't make the final cut.

well, here's dreaming....!

PartisanEntity
April 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Dia was just fine for the simple flowchart I needed to make today. It merely highlights our invoicing path. Initially I was trying to use PowerPoint, but that took too long and wasn't very easy to work with.

Dia on the other hands very easy to use, light weight and seems to be able to export the flowcharts into many different formats including VISIO xml.

I guess for my simple needs it was more than enough.

Dragonbite
April 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the DIa, Kivio people merged with OO.o draw to create a program to truly rival visio? And you could also save the files in Visio format?
I need visio a lot and unfortunately, kivio, Dia or OO.o draw don't come near to what I need in functionality. Actually they come somewhere near, they just don't make the final cut.

well, here's dreaming....!
+1
There are so many times something with the power of Visio would be so helpful at work (and at home on my Linux box of course)! Dia does a pretty good job, but if it could be worked to provide the same functionallity that Visio has to the degree OO.org matches MS Office then that would be really awesome.