PDA

View Full Version : Is this a lie?

Chessmaster
April 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM
I have iTunes on my Windows computer at work (unfortunately I have no choice as to what OS I use there, or what I install on it).

Apple Updates pops up and says that Safari is available for install and that:

Safari for Windows is the fastest and easiest-to-use web browser for the PC. It displays web pages faster than any other browser and is filled with innovative features -- all delivered in an efficient and elegant user interface.

Is it really the fastest or is this just an outright lie?

Atomic Dog
April 1st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Highly doubtful its the fastest. There is an exploit in Safari that may also be in the windows flavor. Anyway Safari sucks. I hate it more than my red headed stepchild.

Raven_Oscar
April 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM
It is no more than advertising. All other major players in this market could say the same about their own products.

chewearn
April 3rd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Everyday, I wake up and thank the Almighty I don't have to put up with these pop-up advertisement crap.

I wonder if, in a parallel universe, where I bought an Apple product and install iTunes, will I be able to check a box "Don't contact me about any advertisement".

Chessmaster
April 3rd, 2008, 02:47 AM
Everyday, I wake up and thank the Almighty I don't have to put up with these pop-up advertisement crap.

Yes indeed, at home I am free from that rubbish, but at work I have to use Windows so I am trapped unfortunately. :mad:

macogw
April 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Safari's rendering engine is, hands down, the best. I don't know if it or IE is worse on security though.

Tristam Green
April 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
It is no more than advertising. All other major players in this market could say the same about their own products.

+1.

go marketing GO!

justin whitaker
April 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I have iTunes on my Windows computer at work (unfortunately I have no choice as to what OS I use there, or what I install on it).

Apple Updates pops up and says that Safari is available for install and that:

Is it really the fastest or is this just an outright lie?

It's not a lie...it's marketing. Compared to IE6, it is faster. IE7 or 8? Not so much.

Compared to Links? Nothing is as fast as that. :)

It's commonplace to take a minor stat and blow it up into a marketing point. It's not a lie, but it isn't the whole truth.

I really hated that Safari got plopped onto my XP install when I updated iTunes. WTF?

Wobedraggled
April 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
The cake is a lie, this probably is too.

justin whitaker
April 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
The cake is a lie, this probably is too.

But it's so delicious and moist!

:)

Tristam Green
April 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
I really hated that Safari got plopped onto my XP install when I updated iTunes. WTF?

My understanding is that it was a forced-push update bundled with the iTunes updates.

You could opt-out of the install and finish upgrading iTunes, but it would keep coming back time and time again with iTunes updates. One more reason I refuse to use iTunes or own an iPod.

Black Mage
April 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Safari's rendering engine is, hands down, the best. I don't know if it or IE is worse on security though.

Or could that be the khtml behind Safari?

herbster
April 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I ain't never even used a Mac, but I'm sure it's true.

heartburnkid
April 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
It's true that Safari is the fastest-rendering browser on the market, but that's not saying much; the latest versions of IE, Firefox, and Opera are pretty fast themselves.

Of course, Safari may be the least secure browser on the market. Remember how the MacBook Air was hacked inside 2 minutes on Day 2 of PWN 2 OWN? That was done via a Safari exploit.

Personally, I'd stick with Firefox.

mikewhatever
April 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM

What work do you do that it involves having to use iTunes? I remember checking it back in 2005, and thought is one of the worst programs possible. Not quite sure why others like it. In fact, the dislike was so great that I never bothered to try it again, it may have improved since.
I don't know if Safari is fast or not, but with Apple's tactics, it looks like I'll never care to find out.

igknighted
April 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Or could that be the khtml behind Safari?

Actually WebKit is the engine. It did sprout from khtml though. Konqueror (in KDE4, not KDE3) uses the exact same WebKit engine, and Epiphany is moving to it too (instead of Mozilla's gecko engine). It is quick, comparable to Opera's, and it is just about equal with Opera's as far as standards compliance, perhaps even a bit better. Plus it is open source, which is a nice plus over Opera.