PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad that KDE is supporting OOXML

loell
April 1st, 2008, 05:05 AM
many of us believes that OOXML is really the perfect document format,
and I'm happy to hear that KDE is supporting it.

This week saw the International Standards Organisation vote on adopting Office Open XML as a standard for office documents. KDE gained a representative late last year through our legal body KDE e.V. realising that the only way to ensure a fair process was to be part of it. Today our delegate voted yes to adopting the format as an international standard. "We have studied the standard hard and many changes have been made to it," said KDE's Supreme Leader Aaron Seigo "and following a $10,000 donation from an anonymous North American source we realised the market should decide the best formats to use, not technical bureaucrats".

The KOffice developers confirmed their support with Cyrille Burger saying, "The level of detail in this standard is very impressive, previous standards we had to deal with were less than half as expansive in their documentation. Working with a standard that makes such good use of previously established standards was also a main reason for the quick implementation in KOffice".

KDE founder Stephan Coolio was unavailable for comment because he was changing nappies.

smartboyathome
April 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
This MUST be an April Fools prank, KDE wouldn't accept it unless they were forced using the worst torture imaginable.

tubasoldier
April 1st, 2008, 05:09 AM
I sure hope its an April Fools joke.
I was really beginning to root for KDE because of their boycotting of OOXML.
I sure hope they didn't cave in like the gnome office devs...

kutjara
April 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM
many of us believes that OOXML is really the perfect document format,
and I'm happy to hear that KDE is supporting it.

I pray this is a gag and that KDE is not falling for Microsoft's embrace/extend/extinguish strategy.

loell
April 1st, 2008, 05:11 AM
ahh, you spoiler :lolflag:

you should have played along for a little while :popcorn:

smartboyathome
April 1st, 2008, 05:13 AM
ahh, you spoiler :lolflag:

you should have played along for a little while :popcorn:

It was obvious with how KDE acted on this issue from the start it was an Aprils Fools joke. ;)

EdThaSlayer
April 1st, 2008, 05:27 AM
For a second I believed this, then I found out it was the first of April. Phew, that was a close one, almost got me sweating there. :D

LaRoza
April 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM
Here I am believing this while playing jokes on other people...

Dekkon
April 1st, 2008, 05:56 AM
I'm confused on this Open Office XML. Can someone explain why people hate it so much?

From what I read on wikipedia, its completely open source xml based files for office suites. Why does everyone hate it so much? For once MS is going the open source way of doing office and everyone hates it. Is it just me or is the open source people that hatred of microsoft that even when they do something right they flame them.

LaRoza
April 1st, 2008, 06:01 AM
I'm confused on this Open Office XML. Can someone explain why people hate it so much?

From what I read on wikipedia, its completely open source xml based files for office suites. Why does everyone hate it so much? For once MS is going the open source way of doing office and everyone hates it. Is it just me or is the open source people that hatred of microsoft that even when they do something right they flame them.

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0083.gif

The specs are half done
A long lasting standard already exists
Their course of action is obvious

Dekkon
April 1st, 2008, 06:04 AM
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0083.gif

The specs are half done
A long lasting standard already exists
Their course of action is obvious

No, I'm not trying to start a flame war.

Can you explain there course of action? Is there any underlying truth on this action that Microsoft is for sure going to do this or is it a stupid rumor because of things done in the past?

Thought so.

LaRoza
April 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM
Can you explain there course of action? Is there any underlying truth on this action that Microsoft is for sure going to do this or is it a stupid rumor because of things done in the past?

Thought so.

A standard exists, and is well implemented. They go ahead and try to make a new one, and make a specification that isn't as good and full of holes.

Connect the dots. I won't take the bait.

macogw
April 1st, 2008, 06:08 AM

Seeing as the OOXML format breaks the XML standard, standardizing OOXML would require standardizing breaking standards...which seems like the opposite of the purpose of creating a standard. It's not a completely open format anyway. They're twisting words.

DoktorSeven
April 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM
And to make it clear, they're basically pushing through OOXML to retaliate against the real standard ODF (used by OOo) that became so legitimately. They couldn't stand the idea of people pointing away from MS Office with a legitimate excuse (the fact that the format isn't a standard format), and instead of playing nice and actually using the standard, they decide to make their own "standard" -- one that, of course, isn't a real open standard, just pretends to be one.

In other words, business as usual from Microsoft.

LaRoza
April 1st, 2008, 06:40 AM
And to make it clear, they're basically pushing through OOXML to retaliate against the real standard ODF (used by OOo) that became so legitimately. They couldn't stand the idea of people pointing away from MS Office with a legitimate excuse (the fact that the format isn't a standard format), and instead of playing nice and actually using the standard, they decide to make their own "standard" -- one that, of course, isn't a real open standard, just pretends to be one.

In other words, business as usual from Microsoft.

For those that still think this is just anti-Microsoft posts, why else would MS not support an existing standard and make their own?

It isn't for users, it is for themselves.

It would have been easier for them to just support ODF and cheaper too. They had to have someone make their new format, and guess who pays for it?