PDA

View Full Version : P22-350 or 900Ghz IBM? ?? ????? o.o

Omnios
October 11th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Im kind of in a pickel. Went to my sisters today and picked up a junk bin of old computer parts including my old (first PC) a P2 350. Right now I can set up the P2 350 with 256megs pc133 ram I also have a what I think is 64megs pc100. It hass a 6 gig quontom fireball hard drive and the only problem I can see is a Hueston Teck mother board with onboard sis graphics. Think the driver was 1.1 if I remember correctly.

Now here is the problem my sister had a 900 mhz IBM mother board with chipset which she used as a server, it was the wierd type with the swing out front door, very large box but small motherboard. It will fit into the P2 box I think. My sister tryed adding componetns to it and told me that IBM was finicy and didnt like certain hardware, hard drive and ram. Im kink of thinking she tryed to mix ram type. Im not even shure what type of chipset is in it.

Anyone have any advise as im tempted to rip out the p2 mother board and slam in the ibm. Im trying to get a pic of the motherboard but my caamera is acting up maybe ill get one later.

Omnios
October 11th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Oops seems she mixed up the parts pretty shure its a P3 600 mhz celeron e machine. Anyways if I can manage to find another old hard drive I might end up with 3 computers lol.

blastus
October 11th, 2005, 06:53 AM
900Ghz! I've love to get my hands on that machine but it would probably need a turbine engine to cool it. :)

poofyhairguy
October 11th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Anyone have any advise as im tempted to rip out the p2 mother board and slam in the ibm.

Thats what I would do.

Ubunted
October 11th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Do yourself a favor and don't store anything important on that Quantum drive.

poofyhairguy
October 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Do yourself a favor and don't store anything important on that Quantum drive.

Why?

BoyOfDestiny
October 11th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Why?

I'm guessing since it's "quantum" reading data from it would actually change the data. Sorry I couldn't resist.

To guess, the drive is likely old, and more likely to fail (although I have a 1 gig and 4 gig scsi that still work... but are now sitting on a desk in a garage...)

Either way a p2 or p3 should have ata 66 or ata 100? Maybe pick up a new drive for this thing. :)

Omnios
October 11th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Well I got the P2 350 back together, still have to test it though now im wondering what window manager would run well on it P2-350 256megs pc-133 ram. 6gig quanton fireball hard drive which was a pretty good drive of that day. I think it only has 8megs 2d/3d vidoe onboard. Windows 98 aand 98se used to run very well on it so im wondering if I should attempt a gnome install.

The striped box I found out has a 500mhz celeron processor and its called an e machine which has a special case which is on the small side, Im not even shure if its worth building. I remember when it was together a long time ago and its performance was comparable with the p-2 with lots of ram.

Omnios
October 11th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Well got the p2-350 back together the hard drive had windows 98 installed and paerently came from the same box so all the drivers where installed. Only problem now is I have to hunt down a power cable and either a old big round plug keyboard or adaptor for one either way I have to get a keyboard for it. Got the mouse working and checked out the internet a bit.

Forgot how slow win98 is on a old system compared to linux. Whats a good WM comparable to or less than win98 on sytem load and functionality? I might try Xubuntu when its ready but need a keyboard before I can install Ubuntu?