swoll1980
March 31st, 2008, 05:15 AM
I have been wondering this for a while also gnome apps like gedit is it
gee-edit or ga-edit

em3raldxiii
March 31st, 2008, 05:25 AM
Gnome: I pronounce it "nome" in my head, but I tell people it's "Gee-Nome"

Gedit: I pronoune it "Gee-Edit"

My reasoning is that applications which start with G are often intended for the Gnome desktop, and therefore should be emphasized as "Gee" programs.

macogw
March 31st, 2008, 05:27 AM
gnome is guh-nome. I think somewhere "official" says that.

I say gedit as jee-edit

scragar
March 31st, 2008, 05:29 AM
I always pronounce things as you would assume, with the G pronounced speratly, unless it's a normal part to the word:

gnome = gnome
gedit = G - edit

same goes for KDE aps:

konqueror = conqueror
K3b = K - 3 - b
ktorrent = k-torrent
kopete = co-pete

amlucent23
March 31st, 2008, 05:32 AM
The official pronunciation of the name is IPA: /gəˈnoʊm/, with a hard “G”, although /ˈnoʊm/ (as in the English word "gnome", with a silent "G") is also in common usage. The name originally stood for GNU Network Object Model Environment, though this acronym is deprecated.[1]

pulled from wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME)

swoll1980
March 31st, 2008, 05:33 AM
I had always called it nome and i called gnu (new) then I found out it was called gah-new and it got me thinking things like gedit and gaim were pronounced like gah-edit and gah-aim

scragar
March 31st, 2008, 05:38 AM
The name “GNU” is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not Unix”; it is pronounced g-noo, as one syllable with no vowel sound between the g and the n. (http://www.gnu.org/)

I think gah is wrong, ge sounds more correct, but then again it's all down to the individual.

OoooMatron
March 31st, 2008, 05:45 AM
I called it "nome" because that's the pronunciation of that word in English.

I find it silly to be making up your own pronunciation rules for things that already exist. It creates confusion and ambiguity, exactly like this thread has caused :D

"ooh i've got a new linux distro out called HUbontoo but it's pronounced 'sandwich'" :D

FuturePilot
March 31st, 2008, 05:50 AM
I've always said Gnome like "nome"
and Gedit like "Gee-edit"

SomeGuyDude
March 31st, 2008, 05:59 AM
Nome.
Gedit.

I refuse to add syllables just for the sake of "accuracy".

banjobacon
March 31st, 2008, 06:02 AM
"ooh i've got a new linux distro out called HUbontoo but it's pronounced 'sandwich'" :D

Nice.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2008, 06:09 AM
mines called "Phenix" but it's pronounced (pah-henix) lol

SomeGuyDude
March 31st, 2008, 06:16 AM
I'd like to point out also that I say "Koo-bun-too" for Kubuntu and "Zoo-bun-too" for Xubuntu. This "Kay-oo-bun-too" and "Ecks-oo-bun-too" business is just dumb*.

*Yes, I also know it's "oo-boon-too" but that sounds SO dumb coming out of a mouth that has an American accent I feel like I'm besmirching their culture by saying it that way.

chewearn
March 31st, 2008, 06:29 AM
Don't you know,
Gnome is pronounced "da-bomb",
Gedit is pronounced "kermit"
GNU is pronounced "moo".

:mrgreen:

4Orbs
July 7th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I would like to find the place where exists the precise pronunciation for these, and more.
1. debian - is it debbie-ann or is it deebee-ann
2. Ubuntu - oo boon too or is it uh-bun-tuh
3. Suse - is it susie, sooze, or suce

It's important to know, so the next time I talk to Bill Gates I won't sound like an idiot.

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Ubuntu is oo boon too

I forgot where.. but there is a place somewhere on the disc, or after the install, that has Nelson Mandela talking about ubuntu.

other than that I use youtube to see how the people there pronounce it :p

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 04:10 AM
It's weird, when a thread you started over a year ago, resurfaces out of no where.

phrostbyte
July 7th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Ooo boon tu
Deb e an
Lee nux (Nordic) or Line nux (some Americans) or Leh nux (most people)
Guh nome
Guh new
Guh new Lee nux
Fos
Flos

MikeTheC
July 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM
It's spelled "Gnome" but it's pronounced "Throatwarbler Mangrove (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQvjKqXA0Y)".

4Orbs
July 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
other than that I use youtube to see how the people there pronounce it

That's what I'm trying to avoid. I'd rather hear the correct lingo straight from the horse's mouth without needing to search each website for each word. Was just hoping there was maybe a dictionary of Linux words (I've heard Linux pronounced only as lennox).

Grant A.
July 7th, 2009, 05:35 AM
no-mm
jed-it

G is an ambiguous little letter. It can sound like "Guh", "Juh", or "Z".

Guh: goat
Juh: George
Z: garage

Rainstride
July 7th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I have been wondering this for a while also gnome apps like gedit is it
gee-edit or ga-edit

i always say it as Gee-nome and gee-edit, it sounds better to me.

freebeer
July 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Well, given Ubuntu and the Human theme, shouldn't it be the "Human Genome Project"? :D

Giant Speck
July 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
It's weird, when a thread you started over a year ago, resurfaces out of no where.

Not to mention there was a separate incarnation of this thread floating around Recurring Discussions a few weeks ago.

mamamia88
July 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
weird I've always pronounced it gee-nome like the human genome project