PDA

View Full Version : A question about objects in Python

xelapond
March 31st, 2008, 12:56 AM
Hello,

I have never programmed with Object Oriented stuff before, so I am really struggling to get it to work. I understand the concept, that you can have multiple instances of an object, and that these instances can have methods, but I my main problem lies with instances and what to do with them. Consider the following code:

def connect_server(pass some stuff):
Do some stuff
instance1 = module1.class1(some stuff)

This creates an instance of class1, instance1. Now, what do I do with instance1 if I want other functions to be able to access and do it? Do I return it? Like this?

def connect_server(pass some stuff):
Do some stuff
instance1 = module1.class1(some stuff)
return instance1

instance1 = connect_server(pass some stuff)

instance1.method1(pass some stuff)

And make is global? Or do I pass it into each function? Or am I totally missing the point? For a final question, how do I make other modules access that instance?

Thanks,

Alex

Wybiral
March 31st, 2008, 01:02 AM
Everything in Python is an object:

isinstance(1, object)
isinstance("", object)
isinstance([], object)
isinstance({}, object)
isinstance(cmp, object)

Just treat objects like any other variable. If you've ever assigned the value "1" to a variable, you've used an object.

xelapond
March 31st, 2008, 02:21 AM
OK, that helps, but I am still a little bit foggy on how to access them between modules. If Module1 creates instance1, how does Module2 get access to it?'

Thanks,

Alex

pmasiar
March 31st, 2008, 02:24 AM
Every variable you used in Python so far is instance of some kind of class. Don't force objects on yourself, start programming, and when you will have something with multiple properties and methods, you call it object. It is simple to program in Python old-fashioned "procedural" way, without defining your own objects (just use the ones provided by libraries), until you are ready for OOP.

pmasiar
March 31st, 2008, 02:27 AM
If Module1 creates instance1, how does Module2 get access to it?'

You need to pass the instance. Every variable is object, there is no difference between objects of classes provided by system, and your own custom classes. It is just variable, name referring to instance of something.