PDA

View Full Version : What the hell's going on at Dell?

BigSilly
March 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I mean good grief!

The missus has really got into this open source lark, and has been looking into buying a laptop with Ubuntu. It's a no-brainer - Dell have to be your first choice.

So off she trots to Dell's site, and after a bit of navigation (because they're somewhat...hidden from regular view), spots the one she wants - an Inspiron 1525 - and it's on offer for £299. It's a great price, but let's just say that, as ladies are prone to do, she decides it might be best to shop around a bit before committing. I warn her the offer is about to end, but she says it doesn't matter and will buy it regardless if it's the one she wants.

So, after a couple of days ceaseless searching, she's back on Dell UK to buy it. Except, it's not there. She types "Ubuntu" and "Linux" into the search, and it brings up a laptop from the Ubuntu section, but on closer inspection it's a Vista one.

To cut a long story short, she's been emailing Dell both from home and work for days, and has even phoned them today to try and buy the thing. She was assured it was there on the site by a nice South African chap, but when she went on their site, it's not. She really doesn't want to buy over the phone (I can understand why), and is utterly flabbergasted at their reluctance to sell her one of these. And she's by no means an Ubuntu zealot; she's just very clear it's a Linux laptop she wants.

I realise that Ubuntu is a bit of an experiment for Dell. It's not a huge deal for them. But it certainly seems like there's a desire to keep it under cover. It's still very much hidden from view on their site. If you didn't know about it, you'd never find it as a normal internet user.

The tale goes on, and she's still determined to buy one of these things - if they do indeed exist! Wish her luck. :)

secondstage
March 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
what about this (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DNCWPL1&s=dhs)?

My bad. This (^) is the US site.

cardinals_fan
March 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I looked at the Ubuntu laptops on Dell's UK site, and all seemed well. However, under Customize -> Operating System, it says "Dell PCs use Genuine Microsoft® Windows® http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell" and has only Vista options. So much for the Ubuntu/Dell relationship. I attached a screenshot, just for fun.

EDIT: Just to confirm, the US site is still selling Ubuntu fine.

cardinals_fan
March 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
what about this (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DNCWPL1&s=dhs)?
That's on the US site.

secondstage
March 30th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I edited it just before you posted. Sorry

aidanr
March 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
:???:

forceofnature
March 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM
You can download the dell ubuntu iso distro and dump vista when it arrives. Thats what I did and their distro worked out fine for loading the OS.

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10

zmjjmz
March 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Did you post a complaint on the Ideastorm site?

BigSilly
March 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
You can download the dell ubuntu iso distro and dump vista when it arrives. Thats what I did and their distro worked out fine for loading the OS.

That's not really the solution though is it? I'm confident enough to that, but that's an answer for people who are perhaps looking to dip their toes in alternative OS's.

She spent ages on the phone trying to explain to the bloke on the phone that she was trying to buy Linux, but his English wasn't so good, and he had no clue what Ubuntu even was, and just kept recommending Vista.

It's a real shame. I think perhaps Dell are really not sure of how to introduce this thing to the UK. There's a real perception that UK PC users aren't interested in Linux, when I think the truth is that a great many simply don't even know about it. Dell aren't helping.

BigSilly
March 30th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Yup, that's what we've been complaining about. Crazy, no?

Did you post a complaint on the Ideastorm site?

I've never heard of that, so no. I do know for a fact that she's been complaining by phone and email for days, trying to get them to rectify their site, but to no avail. This are tried and tested avenues that any customer who wishes to complain would use. To me, that should be good enough.

Ebuntor
March 30th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I kinda doubt they really are no longer selling it since the Inspiron 530, directly below, still comes with Ubuntu.

Perhaps a database error?

BigSilly
March 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hope so Ebuntor. That said, if it's true why haven't they rectified their mistake by now? She told them about this days ago.

Ebuntor
March 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hope so Ebuntor. That said, if it's true why haven't they rectified their mistake by now? She told them about this days ago.

That's a good question. Of course the Ubuntu part of Dell's website isn't as important to them as their Windows section is and there are far less visitors it is possible you're one of the first people to notice this. Just a theory of course, but if it's true it's very sloppy for such a large company.

I just checked the French, German and Spanish Dell websites and they all still offer all their laptops and pc's with Ubuntu. So it must be a mistake, I mean why only that specific laptop and only on the UK website?

zmjjmz
March 30th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I've never heard of that, so no. I do know for a fact that she's been complaining by phone and email for days, trying to get them to rectify their site, but to no avail. This are tried and tested avenues that any customer who wishes to complain would use. To me, that should be good enough.
You should use Ideastorm, chances are your phone and e-mail complaints don't reach the web designer, but Ideastorm will.
A good title would be something like 'Fix the UK Ubuntu section, have the Inspiron 1525 show Ubuntu instead of Vista." and file it under the categories of Dell Website, Ubuntu

gunthermeyer
March 30th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Try looking here. I copy the URL and hope that you have better luck. I bought one of the Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 1420N and just recieve it a couple of days ago here in the States.

URL
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs

P.S. always get more ram than you will need and just that much easier for future use of your computer.

zmjjmz
March 31st, 2008, 12:13 AM
That's sickening.

hhhhhx
March 31st, 2008, 01:26 AM
URL
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

gn2
March 31st, 2008, 01:32 AM
Shop around elsewhere for any of the laptops listed here: http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/

gunthermeyer
March 31st, 2008, 01:46 AM
Hey they were looking for a linux system from Dell I only gave them the address I didn't say go buy it from Dell. I know that there are other fine Linux computers elsewhere out there. Personally I kind of gotten partial to SuSe 10.3 because I think that it is so much easier to use. I still use Ubuntu on one of my other laptop computers as well as the other not so favorite of mine called Windows XP which I'm thinking of switching to Linux as wel except that machine is really under powered for SuSe 10.2. Thanks for the info on the other site though and wil keep them in mind when my other computer finally decide to go to computer heaven.

Lord Illidan
March 31st, 2008, 01:53 AM
I'd also shop around if I were you. It's perfectly right to make a statement that you want to support Open Source by buying a laptop with Ubuntu on it..if Dell doesn't want to spend the effort, punish them - get a laptop somewhere else. Vote with your wallet.

Try this site : http://efficientpc.co.uk/

jespdj
March 31st, 2008, 10:11 AM
This weekend I ordered a Dell XPS M1530 (I've sold the M1330).

Unfortunately, with the configuration I chose, I could only get it with Windows Vista Ultimate. I'm not going to use Vista on this laptop, and now I'm forced to get the most expensive version of Vista with it... :(

I've heard that it's possible to get the money that you paid for Windows back from Dell if you're not going to use Windows. I'm going to ask Dell about it when my M1530 arrives.

Here in The Netherlands, Dell does not sell laptops or other PCs with Ubuntu at all as far as I know. :(

gn2
March 31st, 2008, 10:26 AM
It has been possible to get a refund in the past, you have to decline the EULA terms.
Here's a success story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6144782.stm

xeth_delta
March 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM

I beg to differ. Why should you pay for something you don't want to use in the first place, when there is an alternative?
Besides, for a beginner, it might be better to already have Ubuntu pre-installed and fully functional and supported from the beginning.
That being said, even if the price difference is not big, perhaps they don't want to contribute to Microsoft's vaults. I know I don't want to, given their dirty business tactics and the FUD Microsoft is trying to spread about Linux and the FOSS in general. If there is anything I can do, as insignificant as it might seem, to counter those actions, I'll be happy to do it.

gn2
March 31st, 2008, 11:02 AM
I beg to differ. Why should you pay for something you don't want to use in the first place, when there is an alternative?

Unfortunately Dell charge more money for their Ubuntu laptops than the ones with Vista.

So if you can get a refund for Vista and install Ubuntu, perhaps the difference could be contributed to some worthy FOSS project?

Tomatz
March 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM
HERE (http://efficientpc.co.uk/) is a UK company who sell ubuntu pre-installed pc's.

I got my girlfriends eeepc there. They are really good :)

BDNiner
March 31st, 2008, 02:26 PM
I believe that there are only 4 computers that come with ubuntu pre installed.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

You can customize them but it is only 3 laptops and 1 desktop.

Calash
March 31st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Not sure if this is at all related, but from a support tech point of view Dell is going through some major internal transitions. There training program is being migrated to an entirely new system with a new website, new authentication and all that stuff.

It may not be related, but it would not be the first time that major transitions in one area has caused instability in other areas of a company.

WorldTripping
March 31st, 2008, 03:50 PM
I just went to the Dell UK homepage.
www.dell.com/uk

Hovered over the picture of a laptop, and selected the 'Laptops for: Home' option (to get to which kind of hardware I wanted).

Then on the next screen clicked 'Laptops' in the top menu and selected 'Open Source PCs' from the dropdown. (To show all the Ubuntu machines.)

From there I can customise an Inspiron 1525 (The only Ubuntu laptop choice).

Maybe slightly circuitous, but well within the 'three-click' rule for site navigation.

BigSilly
March 31st, 2008, 07:23 PM
I just went to the Dell UK homepage.
www.dell.com/uk

Hovered over the picture of a laptop, and selected the 'Laptops for: Home' option (to get to which kind of hardware I wanted).

Then on the next screen clicked 'Laptops' in the top menu and selected 'Open Source PCs' from the dropdown. (To show all the Ubuntu machines.)

From there I can customise an Inspiron 1525 (The only Ubuntu laptop choice).

Maybe slightly circuitous, but well within the 'three-click' rule for site navigation.

Yep you're right. It looks as though they've finally changed it. Great stuff, we'll be getting one in toot-sweet.

Can I just quickly pick your brains about using a laptop? She wants this thing to help her do her coursework in the OU, but we've never had a laptop before, let alone a Linux one, and have no idea how to get it connected to the internet. Our PC is completely Linux, with an Ethernet card for broadband access. Since she really only wants to use it around the house mostly, what will we need to do in order to get it connected? Will it be a pain to get running?

Thanks very much in advance.

xeth_delta
March 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately Dell charge more money for their Ubuntu laptops than the ones with Vista.

So if you can get a refund for Vista and install Ubuntu, perhaps the difference could be contributed to some worthy FOSS project?

Fair enough, I see your point. What I meant is that at least you know you are not giving MS any money.

Yes
March 31st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yep you're right. It looks as though they've finally changed it. Great stuff, we'll be getting one in toot-sweet.

Can I just quickly pick your brains about using a laptop? She wants this thing to help her do her coursework in the OU, but we've never had a laptop before, let alone a Linux one, and have no idea how to get it connected to the internet. Our PC is completely Linux, with an Ethernet card for broadband access. Since she really only wants to use it around the house mostly, what will we need to do in order to get it connected? Will it be a pain to get running?

I assume the laptop will have a built in wireless card, so it'll be able to access any unsecured network, or any network that you have the password for. To get wireless internet at home you'll either need a wireless router or a wireless access point, which would plug into a non-wireless router to provide a wireless signal.

fetisha
March 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Sucks that the UK store had problems for a while. But, at least it's back to normal, right? I really wanted to buy a dell with ubuntu on the US website, but i saw a dell on clearance in staples and got it. Ubuntu doesn't work perfect on it, so I'm sticking with vista on my dell 1521 laptop, but maybe heron will work better for me when it's a stable release.
Hope you're wife got the laptop!

BigSilly
March 31st, 2008, 08:46 PM
I assume the laptop will have a built in wireless card, so it'll be able to access any unsecured network, or any network that you have the password for. To get wireless internet at home you'll either need a wireless router or a wireless access point, which would plug into a non-wireless router to provide a wireless signal.

That's brilliant. Thanks very much for your response. I think she's finally about to buy the thing!

My thanks to everyone for your replies, and thanks to Dell for fixing the site! :D

AndyCooll
March 31st, 2008, 08:46 PM

You'll want a wireless router if you haven't already got one.

I bought a couple of Dell Inspiron 6400 laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed on them via the UK website last year. The version for sale is obviously newer than the one I've got, and I already had a router. The laptop worked out-of-the-box. I've since upgraded them to Gutsy and again no problems. I've been very happy with them so far.

:cool:

PS. Not sure how much RAM this version comes with by default. However in the "additions" section when compiling your laptop it's always worth adding a bit more!

BigSilly
April 1st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Just thought I'd add that she bought it yesterday off their site. Wow, though, what a deal - £299. Bloody brilliant price for a Dell I reckon. Also bought this from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ETX928/ref=pd_luc_mri?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE) Hopefully that'll be us sorted.

Quick question though - what happens when Hardy comes out? Will we be able to upgrade it via Ubuntu's Update Notifier, or should I do a clean install? What are you guys doing?

Cheers all. :)

zmjjmz
April 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
An upgrade should be fine, as all of the hardware is compatible.

smartboyathome
April 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
Just thought I'd add that she bought it yesterday off their site. Wow, though, what a deal - £299. Bloody brilliant price for a Dell I reckon. Also bought this from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ETX928/ref=pd_luc_mri?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE) Hopefully that'll be us sorted.

Quick question though - what happens when Hardy comes out? Will we be able to upgrade it via Ubuntu's Update Notifier, or should I do a clean install? What are you guys doing?

Cheers all. :)

You will be happy with that router. I have one and am very happy with it.

madjr
April 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM

these evidence needs to be submited to digg :)

AndyCooll
April 2nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
You will be happy with that router. I have one and am very happy with it.
Yeah, got to agree, I too have one and have been very happy with it. Flashed it with DD-WRT (open-source firmware) and got a powerful router you'd expect to pay plenty for.

BigSilly
April 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Cool! I had no idea about it. It was the missus who looked into it and decided on that particular one. She said it was designed with Linux use in mind, and she did mention that open source fans were adapting it to do all sorts of stuff. Honestly, she's turned into a right Linux zealot!

It's all new to me is the wireless scene, so if you have any handy hints or tutorials you can link to that would be fantastic.

AndyCooll
April 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
How to install DD-WRT on a Linksys router (http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-12222)
1 - Upgrade from Linksys to DD-WRT mini (http://lifehacker.com/photogallery/routerupgrade/748102)
How to Flash the WRT54GL with DD-WRT Firmware
(http://www.mandladventures.com/2007/04/12/how-to-flash-the-wrt54gl-with-dd-wrt-firmware/)

There are quite a few open-source firmwares (Open WRT, Tomato etc). I used DD-WRT because it seems to be the best known and appeared (to me at least) the easiest to install. It only took me a couple of minutes.
That last link especially proved useful. I think one of those links recommends not flashing using Firefox, however since I only use Linux and it is the only browser I have installed I did and had no problems.

BigSilly
April 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Andy, that is absolutely magic. Thanks very much for taking the time to post those up. Can't wait to play with this thing. The wife was telling me how one bloke was actually using it to control his household lights, and doing all sorts of crazy stuff with it. I didn't know you could do so much with a router!

My thanks again. :)

slolerner
April 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
first i'm glad to hear that dell resolved their site issues and that the missus finallly got her linux laptop.. very cool.

i'm still quite the noob when it comes to linux, but i had some troubles when first setting up my laptop (dell d420 - company issued) for wireless at home.

i'll pass on some suggestions i was given:
1-under system>administration>network there are settings you can change (i.e: dns, ip, gateway, etc) to get your new laptop to connect.. make sure you save those connection settings as a 'location'; then you can always go back to those settings w/ little fuss regardless of where you 'connect'
2-have a 'terminal' window open.. it's the linux command line interface and while a typical ubuntu install will put one on your "launcher panel" (similar to the windows "quick launch bar"); at the prompt type "netstat -rn" (w/o the quotes).. this will provide you the ip of your gateway.. it's an address you can ping to see if you're connecting

for myself, i've thoroughly enjoyed the linux experience.
#begin shameless openoffice plug
i've been able to trade documents w/ coworkers as openoffice allows you to save in microsoft (xls, doc, etc) file formats w/o actually having to install any microsoft stuff.. and it's free.
#end shameless plug
i've found linux to be a very flexible and secure computing platform w/ plenty of chances to "play".. it's great.

i wish you and missus the best w/ your new linux venture.

final suggestion.. keep the link to ubuntu forums handy. it's been terribly helpful.. even for us noobs.

jpittack
April 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
I wish Dell would sell an AMD based Laptop. I have little intrest in their processors. Getting max performance out of a chip is the last concern of a usual laptop user. I would rather spend less on a laptop than I do on a desktop, as there is clearly less stuff in a laptop.

ticopelp
April 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
I've purchased two Ubuntu machines from Dell in the past year -- a desktop and a laptop -- and I have to say that although I've been perfectly happy with the machines themselves, their implementation of Ubuntu is pretty half-baked.

The installations themselves work fine; everything is good out of the box, but the machines ship with Windows manuals and technical documents, and my desktop machine had three Dell partitions on it with a bunch of diagnostic junk and "restore partitions" that are all for Windows.

I don't mind the lack of documentation, because I know what I'm doing after setting up a good eight or ten Ubuntu installs, but what if I'd been a Linux newbie with too much disposable income who bought a pre-installed machine to learn Ubuntu? I'd be completely up the creek with a thick book of completely useless documentation. It just seems silly and a little irresponsible.

I've been perfectly happy with my Dells otherwise, I just wish Ubuntu had a big enough market share that Dell could at least pretend like they care.

BigSilly
April 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Crikey Moses....Can anyone here help me out with this thing? I haven't got a clue, as I'm completely green when it comes to laptops and wireless etc.

The laptop from Dell finally turned up today, along with the Linksys router from Amazon. And...I haven't got a clue where to start to get the laptop on the internet. I followed the instructions to connect the router physically, but the next steps are not clear to me. Once the requisite wires connected up, I lose any kind of connection on my desktop, and the laptop shows that there is a connection, but there isn't. It won't even load my home page. I've tried looking for newbie guides, but have so far come away empty handed. A lot of the stuff I find is Windows-centric.

My PC is a wired Ethernet (Eth0) Virgin Media Broadband connection, if this is of any use at all, and on both the laptop and the desktop we are running Ubuntu 7.10.

What the heck do I do? Sorry for the noob-ness....

BigSilly
April 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
EDIT:

OK, it seems the desktop is connecting to the router fine now, as I have internet access where I didn't before. But sadly the laptop isn't connecting still. Dunno what I'm doing wrong, or what to do next, so your help is much appreciated.

Thanks all. :)