PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 worst captchas

amitabhishek
March 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM
All of us have been tormented by them. But I didn't knew that someone has actually rated them. This is funny and a must see (http://www.johnmwillis.com/other/top-10-worst-captchas/):).

mali2297
March 30th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I liked the math challenge, although I'm uncertain on how it works. Should you answer the question incorrectly to prove that you're human?

Google Spider
March 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I liked the math challenge, although I'm uncertain on how it works. Should you answer the question incorrectly to prove that you're human?

:biggrin:

vexorian
March 30th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Captchas in general are very lame.

3. "I know a human can't read this crap, so a robot obviously can't as well" A lot of captchas just take unlegibility to an unbelievable extreme.

2. "I present you an easily parseable equation, you need to solve it manually, nevermind a hacker can easily write a script that could solve it"

And the lamest captcha is : ...

1. "I for some ultra retarded reason think a bot is unable to implement its own javascript parser, so I require javascript for users to use my page since that proves they are not bots"

beercz
March 30th, 2008, 11:44 PM
So, anyone solved the maths one yet?

vexorian
March 31st, 2008, 12:06 AM
It wasn't very hard, just use the chain rule, dunnno why it uses partial derivative notation.

Xzallion
March 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM
The math ones answer is 0. It even says so, which actually makes it a false statement since you can't divide by zero. This is verified in the comments section on that site multiple times.

waspbr
March 31st, 2008, 12:12 AM
digg used to have the worst, somehow i would write the right code and it would say that it was wrong, I am glad they god rid of the thing all together

vexorian
March 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM
The math ones answer is 0. It even says so, which actually makes it a false statement since you can't divide by zero. This is verified in the comments section on that site multiple times.
It is 0, but I don't think even the equation says so.

This is how I understand the notation:

Get partial derivative , then evaluate on x=0

The derivative is 28cos(x - PI/2 )

when x=0 , it is zero.

I just don't think it actually states the result is 0.

Edit, oh I see where your post comes from:

The math-challenge is really not that terrifying. Though I wouldn’t know what to put in there… probably ‘infinity’ or ‘undefined’ since it features a division by zero (Delta*x is in the denominator, thus because x=0, 0 is in the denominator, making the whole equation illegal. Well, at least in traditional mathematics)
If it’s from some math-related site (which I suspect) this ain’t hard at all, but rather a nice example of a good captcha!

The guy thought it was an equation, but it was "solve the partial derivative at x=0", thus he is a little confused .

Tundro Walker
March 31st, 2008, 08:06 AM
Forums are using more captcha's now, and other places aren't just content with a user name & password, you have to use a PIN in addition.

Funny how security experts think adding more and more walls keeps things more and more secure. In the end, you just get a bunch of folks with post-it notes all over their monitor with their UID, PWD, PIN, etc so they can remember the myriad of crap in order to log into things.

Security experts need to work on making things more secure, not more annoying for the users.

beercz
March 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM
Security experts need to work on making things more secure, not more annoying for the users.
Absolutely agree.

D-EJ915
April 1st, 2008, 04:01 AM
agh those are horrible, glad I've never had to see them.