PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Baggage Jams

popch
March 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM
This seems to be the third time this year that the London Heathrow airport was hit by failures of their passenger baggage handling systems:

1/4/08
2/20/08: Terminal 4
4/27/08: Terminal 5

Does anyone know more? What kind of system do they use? Do they use the same system as they do at the Denver Airport?

smoker
March 30th, 2008, 11:51 AM
i think the fault seems to be with British Airways, rather than the actual Airport (though no doubt they will blame eachother, lol):
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iLhBltMl8so-j02dxDZ0ydTdwr6Q

i don't know what they do at Denver Airpost, but '****-ups' of this magnitude tend to be mainly a British thing, lol

Teber
March 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
heard it on the news it would be a noob issue. staff not yet used to new machinery...

kutjara
March 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM
This seems to be the third time this year that the London Heathrow airport was hit by failures of their passenger baggage handling systems:

1/4/08
2/20/08: Terminal 4
4/27/08: Terminal 5

Does anyone know more? What kind of system do they use? Do they use the same system as they do at the Denver Airport?

They use 'Windows Vista Luggage Edition', but unfortunately forgot to activate the software using the hand-typed 4,325 digit authorization code within thirty days of installing the software, so it reverted to 'restricted mode,' which just lets the baggage handlers play FreeCell.

smoker
March 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM
They use 'Windows Vista Luggage Edition', but unfortunately forgot to activate the software using the hand-typed 4,325 digit authorization code within thirty days of installing the software, so it reverted to 'restricted mode,' which just lets the baggage handlers play FreeCell.:lolflag:

i thought the reason was they could only afford to employ one baggage handler due to the cost of the new terminal, and he's only working part-time
:lolflag:

freebeer
March 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I blame Windows too... we all know that a Windows terminal is basically useless for getting any real work done. :D

perce
March 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Last Thursday I was travelling from Edinburgh to LA and I got trapped an hour and a half on the plane in Heathrow because they didn't find stairs and busses to take us out of the plane. Of course I missed my connection, and I finally arrive in LA 7 hours later.

At least they didn't lose my luggage, probably because only the first part of the trip was with BA, so when I read on the news what was happening at Heathrow I felt lucky.

LaSelvaBeach
March 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM
They use 'Windows Vista Luggage Edition', but unfortunately forgot to activate the software using the hand-typed 4,325 digit authorization code within thirty days of installing the software, so it reverted to 'restricted mode,' which just lets the baggage handlers play FreeCell.

LOL, this is way too good!

Teber
March 31st, 2008, 04:44 PM

i thought the reason was they could only afford to employ one baggage handler due to the cost of the new terminal, and he's only working part-time

i would have thought they hired five luggage handlers so they would always have a reserve for playing bridge...