PDA

View Full Version : Linux Distribution Chooser

TheIdiotThatIsMe
October 10th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Just ran it (http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php) and came up with Kubuntu, which is what I currently use.

What a surprise ;) Although I honestly thought I would get something else. I'm happy now.

aysiu
October 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I love that test. The only complaints I've ever heard about it were from Slackware users. Though, even that may be fixed now.

feloc
October 10th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I got Debian and Ubuntu.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
October 10th, 2005, 08:40 PM
In all honestly, if I had ran that before ever using Kubuntu, I would have probably ended up with something else, considering much of the linux terms I learned while using Kubuntu (apt-get, etc.)

Goober
Huh, it went Ubuntu, then Debian, and finally Mepis for me . . .

Interestingly, I somehow found the Distro that was best suited for me by a complete random occurance (ok, well, FreeCycle :p ). Maybe there is such a thing as fate . . .

Ubunted
I got Debian and Ubuntu.
Yep.

aysiu
October 10th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I got Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and Mepis--my top three distros.

xequence
October 10th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I got ubuntu awhile ago, now I try it again and...

1. Ubuntu
2. Kubuntu
3. Mepis
4. Debian

philipacamaniac
October 10th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Kubuntu and Mepis were perfect matches for me. Debian and Ubuntu would have passed, but I said it had to be KDE based (I guess Debian with KDE doesn't count??).

I then retook it pretending to answer what I thought my wife would answer, and it came up with Mandriva. Heh.

mstlyevil
October 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I got Mandrivia and mephis as perfect matches.

transactionlogfiller
October 10th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Debian and Ubuntu for me. Although I don't suppose I'd have chosen apt as my prefered package manager unless I was already using Debian and Ubuntu, so it seems a bit inevitable.

KingBahamut
October 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I got 10 in the list.

Debian, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xandros, Suse, Mepis, Mandriva, Fedora.

mstlyevil
October 10th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I am thinking of downloading and trying suse. Ubuntu is my first Linux distro and I would like to test the waters a little more.

Knome_fan
October 10th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Debian, Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

And the most amazing thing, I didn't even pick apt as my favorite tool to install software, but chose not to care.

Not bad. :D

WikipedianKiba
October 10th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I got Ubuntu at the top and all of them failed one cretia which is one click installation.

openmind
October 10th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Ubuntu and Debian.

Lovechild
October 10th, 2005, 10:29 PM
It went:

Fedora
Debian
Ubuntu
Gentoo

Now I love Fedora and Ubuntu, but Gentoo is just not me anymore and plain debian lacks the polish that Ubuntu offers and the lack of releases seems to cause instability and outdatedness.

Fedora I love for their stance on openness and their deployment of proactive security, Ubuntu for multitude of packages in Universe and the ease with which I can track development. Likewise the investment in translating.

Above all both support GNOME which I love.

Missing on the list is my 3rd distro of choice rPath derived Foresight which is an amazing young distro combining features form Gentoo, Fedora and Ubuntu into a good blend - however being young they have a lot of bugs to handle and only a small team, I forsee great things from them in the future though.

BWF89
October 10th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I got 5 perfect matches:
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
MEPIS
Linspire
Xandros

gflores
October 10th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I got Xandros and Linspire, followed by Kubuntu and Mepis. They don't have one-click installable applications, apparently.

majikstreet
October 10th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I got this:
Debian
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
MEPIS

I don't care about my wm because I use fluxbox :=)

(W00t star icon: :KS )

Anyway, I <3 apt-get.

primeirocrime
October 11th, 2005, 12:00 AM
i got Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mepis. I missed Agnula though, got to tell them to put Agnula there.

zenrox
October 11th, 2005, 01:39 AM
debian and ubuntu as perfect matches
:KS

detyabozhye
October 11th, 2005, 02:40 AM
debian and ubuntu as perfect matches
:KS
Same here

Cirkus
October 11th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Weird; I got
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Mandriva
Mepis (wtf?)
Linspire (talk about an insult!)
Xandros
SuSE

That's really odd because I chose the 'intermediate' answers, but I'm using a home PC (not a server). It's really odd because it told me Debian was too advanced for me :p