PDA

View Full Version : The miracle of non-windows :)

Zelut
October 10th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I work in a small office and the 'higher-ups' have learned that when a computer stops working they can ask me to fix it. I'm doing that right now and what a mess I have to deal with!

Internet connection this morning stopped working, spyware count is in the thousands, anti-virus won't update and windows updates have never been used.

As I sit here and fix this I'm so glad I took the blue pill! I've got four machines at home all running Ubuntu. None of these ever crash, have spyware problems, have issues with viruses... they just work. I wish people would open their eyes and demand something more.

I would love to be a part in switching this entire office over to Ubuntu but I doubt they'd go for it. If business would only realize they could save so much money ditching the MS and going Open...

I'll stop ranting, just wanted to vent some of my frustration.

izmaelis
October 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Oh well, fighting MS with Open source now is as hard as rolling Sisyphus' stone upto the hill. Let us hope that it'll change some day.

Goober
October 10th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Sounds a bit like my parents computer . . . although their Internet does work, most of the time.

Never, EVER even attempt to run ******* XP with 256Mb of RAM. It just don't work.

-Rick-
October 10th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Never, EVER even attempt to run ******* XP with 256Mb of RAM. It just don't work.
Why? Works for me.

AllenGG
October 10th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Boyoboyoboy! do I understand !!!
People get spyware/adware/poopware/whatever on their silly systems. The ones that I've personally installed, well, they blame me !
So, I've started my own little campaign, to motivate some computer savy friends to use Ubuntu LIVE !
Now, here's an interesting side effect (intended for the thread starter) when I use someone's computer and anything goes wrong, I get blamed (sometimes)
soooo, I've started using Ubuntu LIVE when I use someone elses' system.
Now, it would make sense (see opening thread) if small-medium businesses woke up , but SMB's as they're known, have individuals as owners, who know more than anyone !!!!
As a business consultant going in to SMB's I can attest to the fact the the "Peter Principle" (correct spelling) is alive , well, and flourishing.
may the force of making ill-gotten gains via M$ be with you !!
Allen G:smile:

Orunitia
October 10th, 2005, 09:53 PM

I've ran XP on 128mb of ram before with no problems. Just put the classic theme on.

lyam_kaskade
October 10th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I work in a small office and the 'higher-ups' have learned that when a computer stops working they can ask me to fix it. I'm doing that right now and what a mess I have to deal with!

Internet connection this morning stopped working, spyware count is in the thousands, anti-virus won't update and windows updates have never been used.

As I sit here and fix this I'm so glad I took the blue pill! I've got four machines at home all running Ubuntu. None of these ever crash, have spyware problems, have issues with viruses... they just work. I wish people would open their eyes and demand something more.

I would love to be a part in switching this entire office over to Ubuntu but I doubt they'd go for it. If business would only realize they could save so much money ditching the MS and going Open...

I'll stop ranting, just wanted to vent some of my frustration.

windows updates never been used? thousands of spyware?
While Windows is partially to blame, I believe part of the problem rests between the keyboard and the chair.
Ubuntu would get rid of the spyware, viruses, crashing, etc., it could just cause more problems (for you). The higher-ups would complain that Linux isn't like Windows, it's too difficult to use, OpenOffice doesn't have the same whacked-out macros that MS Office has.
And anytime Ubuntu has an issue like, say, hardware incompatibilities, it wouldn't be something they have to deal with like Windows. No, no it would be Ubuntu's fault.

Goober
October 10th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Why? Works for me.

Well, yes, but when your computer is so filled with spyware, adware, viruses, and all sorts of other little critters, and you refuse to buy a decent firewall/antivirus, then XP slows right the heck down. It takes about 2-5 minutes to start XP, and get everything going. And then things crash randomly, honestly, that computer is so messed up . . .

My parents just don't take care of it, and I don't have the time or the energy to help them.

Orunitia
October 10th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Well if the person doesn't take care of the computer, of course it's not gonna work very well. :p

-Rick-
October 10th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Well if the person doesn't take care of the computer, of course it's not gonna work very well. :p
Agreed. When I still used Windows I had adware/spyware from time to time...but it never really affected performance.
Managing Windows computers which aren't only used by yours can be a pain though...:rolleyes:

Goober
October 10th, 2005, 11:20 PM

Oh, trust me, I know, but, well, when it comes down to it, its not my machine, I can only sit back, and embrace the glory of Linux.

While still keeping XP for gaming

blastus
October 11th, 2005, 12:59 AM
From my experience corporate Windows PCs are usually loaded with anti-jackware software and tons of useless software/services that are notorious for consuming large amounts of resources, making the system unstable, and causing poor performance.