PDA

View Full Version : What if KDE and Gnome had an illegitamate child?

tubasoldier
March 30th, 2008, 01:06 AM
The other day, after years of using Linux, it dawned on me that I can start any KDE application in Gnome and vice versa. This means the gnome-panel or the KDE kicker in either desktop.

Of course doing this not only loads the gtk libraries but also the qt libraries. This puts in a bit of extra memory overhead. Whats the difference between running kicker and any other KDE application like Amarok while in Gnome?

So if Gnome and KDE were able to somehow reproduce together to make a desktop with the best features of both, what would be their child's best features?

I'm just asking more out of curiosity. I'm not intending this to be a desktop war/flamefest, just an exchange of ideas.

odiseo77
March 30th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm unsure about its best features (and this is very subjective), but I've thought of it sometimes too and, although I don't know what are the technical implications of this idea, it's interesting (a kind a fork merging both DE's). At least I can suggest a couple of names: GDE or Knome :mrgreen:

SomeGuyDude
March 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
KDE's apps with GNOME's simplicity would be just about perfect.

LaRoza
March 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM
This is what would happen:

People would say that KDE is being taken over by Microsoft
People would say that Linus thinks KDE users are stupid
People would ask questions on what is better all the same
Xfce users would think Xfce is better than KDE+GNOME
Fluxbox users would think Xfce, KDE+GNOME, KDE and GNOME are too heavy
OpenBox users would think Fluxbox is too heavy
We would have a bunch of <something> v. <something> threads, just like we do now

rune0077
March 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM

This is mostly how I run it now. The basics is still Gnome, but I use Konqueror, k3b, Amarok and a few other KDE apps on top of that, and there's no issues here (once you've gotten around to installing all the necessary libraries and extra applications).

dizee
March 30th, 2008, 02:15 AM
This is mostly how I run it now. The basics is still Gnome, but I use Konqueror, k3b, Amarok and a few other KDE apps on top of that, and there's no issues here (once you've gotten around to installing all the necessary libraries and extra applications).
I do the same in Xfce which has the option to load the KDE libraries on start-up. So for just a few seconds longer loading at login the KDE apps start much faster. K3B and AmaroK are without parallel in my opinion.

DeadSuperHero
March 30th, 2008, 02:16 AM
If Gnome had Plasma, and the other amazing KDE4 technologies, life would be just about perfect for me.

Then again, if KDE had an easier way to install themes, that awesome Gnome Menu Bar, and typical GNOME-ish ways of doing things, life would be perfect for me, too.

Mateo
March 30th, 2008, 02:18 AM
kde fanboy: it'd be exactly like kde, with it's great customization and all.
gnome fanboy: it'd been simple and intuitive, like gnome.

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 02:20 AM

We would have a bunch of <something> v. <something> threads, just like we do now

Isnt that because Xfce IS better than everything? :)

nonewmsgs
March 30th, 2008, 02:23 AM
somewhere in the middle between KDE and Gnome is where the greatest windows manager ever is. it would have the great menu system of gnome, the ease of doing more complex file manger things like K. i go back and forth between those two and very much like them both but strongly believe in the middle path.

pieisgood4589
March 30th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Isnt that because Xfce IS better than everything? :)

In my opinion, yes. Haha, although I do like the occasional flame war, lets not start one here in the Ubuntu forums. :lolflag:

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 02:36 AM
It was intended as a joke ^.^
I'll be honest, im not happy with any single window manager, ive toyed with the thought of making my own a good few times.
I dont like desktops (I clutter up all that precious space without the icons, thanks), I dont like menu bars (am I the only one?) and I like very simple, very noticable task bars.
Nothing more.
Infact, the only reason Im using Xfce is because I wanted a clock in one corner of my screen, and compiz window managment...

Mateo
March 30th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I'll be honest, im not happy with any single window manager, ive toyed with the thought of making my own a good few times.
I dont like desktops (I clutter up all that precious space without the icons, thanks), I dont like menu bars (am I the only one?) and I like very simple, very noticable task bars.
Nothing more.
Infact, the only reason Im using Xfce is because I wanted a clock in one corner of my screen, and compiz window managment...

how do you launch things? keep a terminal open all the time?

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Alt-f2

blithen
March 30th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I agree.

FuturePilot
March 30th, 2008, 05:25 AM
At least I can suggest a couple of names: GDE or Knome :mrgreen:

Is the K silent?

tubasoldier
March 30th, 2008, 05:59 AM

That is beautifully funny. :lolflag:

LaRoza
March 30th, 2008, 06:00 AM
There are technical issues with a true fusion. They are written in different languages and use different libraries.

One could make a completely new DE and use features from both, but to do that one would make it very customizable, and would just be reinventing KDE or GNOME with a few minor differences.

tubasoldier
March 30th, 2008, 06:08 AM
There are technical issues with a true fusion. They are written in different languages and use different libraries.

One could make a completely new DE and use features from both, but to do that one would make it very customizable, and would just be reinventing KDE or GNOME with a few minor differences.

That is true, there is fundamentally too big of a divide between the two. Not only in code but in thought.

However, recently I have noticed some major hypocrisy on their own thought. With Compiz, Gnome has more configuration options than KDE has ever thought about. However, the KDE group still does not officially support a themed KDM, its current ability comes from a separate programmer who wrote a plugin. KDM unlike GDM does not have a random from selected option. What you select is what you get, every time.

Ioky
March 30th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I would say just let every thing go to their own direction is perfect way to see the future. Think about it, if you try to combine 2 thing into 1, that 1 will only go one direction, while when they are still 2, they are goes difference direction and discover new things. Beside, you always get more choice to choose from, instead one thing and that is it. Just like people who doesn't know Mac and Linux exist, and yes there is people like this, I am like this once, think windows is the only thing, all you can think is hope it get better, even if it doesn't, you can't do anything about it.

Life is always about choice. and the choice you made. It is fun too.

23meg
March 30th, 2008, 06:16 AM
With Compiz, Gnome has more configuration options than KDE has ever thought about.

Compiz isn't part of GNOME.

tubasoldier
March 30th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Compiz isn't part of GNOME.

I didn't say it was. I only said with Compiz, Gnome is extremely configurable. This same argument would work with KDE as well. But we all know Compiz is much better integrated with Gnome.

odiseo77
March 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Is the K silent?

I thought about a non silent k, which would make the word Knome almost unpronounceable (at least to me) :)

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Kuh-noh-m
seems simple enough :P

Hutom
March 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Why illegitamate? :confused:

psycosmyth
March 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM
the "b" word?
I have the same as many of you, xfce running many KDE apps. This is GTK's territory though since it can run K's. Try running G stuff in K, nasty.
I think the original post points to another desktop entirely, a QT base that reads GTK code, runs KDE4 apps and then spanks Window programs like no MS-OS ever could. Hey is there a name for it?

chucky chuckaluck
March 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Nothing more.

if you could ditch compiz, you'd be ripe for wmii addiction, i think.

this is how it would end up...

"who's afraid of linus torvalds?"
mr. and mrs. kde/gnome invite a young windows couple over for drinks when all hell breaks loose. "what a dumpuh!"

i also have to wonder how long it would've taken romeo and juliette to get on each other's nerves had they lived.

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
if you could ditch compiz, you'd be ripe for wmii addiction, i think.
I cant. I just REALLY need to write in fire. Like. badly.

Patrick-Ruff
March 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
hah it seems we have an arsonist among us ;)

I would say just let every thing go to their own direction is perfect way to see the future. Think about it, if you try to combine 2 thing into 1, that 1 will only go one direction, while when they are still 2, they are goes difference direction and discover new things. Beside, you always get more choice to choose from, instead one thing and that is it. Just like people who doesn't know Mac and Linux exist, and yes there is people like this, I am like this once, think windows is the only thing, all you can think is hope it get better, even if it doesn't, you can't do anything about it.

Life is always about choice. and the choice you made. It is fun too.

+1

chucky chuckaluck
March 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I cant. I just REALLY need to write in fire. Like. badly.

oh well, an intervention can only work if they want to quit.

steveneddy
March 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
i also have to wonder how long it would've taken romeo and juliette to get on each other's nerves had they lived.

lol

:lolflag:

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I laughed at that too!
I hate to say it but between AWN and skydome, im rather stuck to compiz.

chucky chuckaluck
March 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I laughed at that too!
I hate to say it but between AWN and skydome, im rather stuck to compiz.

i should think it would be possible to have a tiling version of compiz, wouldn't it? and, if it were, that would add yet another choice to the already rich selection. that's why i think it's a mistake to want to combine kde and gnome, unless one wanted to come up with an additional choice that just happened to be a combination of the two.putting the two together while losing the seperate entities makes about as much sense as making one baseball team out of the red sox and the yankees (there'd be the tragic loss of hating one another).

NightwishFan
March 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
With the loss of friendly competition would possibly lead to the lack of progress. Personally I like both of them and would rather they not merge. Currently using KDE4 and loving it, although it is not as good looking as XFCE4.

the8thstar
March 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Well, Compiz and Beryl parted ways for a while and got back together to bring us Compiz Fusion.

I know KDE and Gnome have more differences that Compiz and Beryl did, but that shows you that only idiots don't change their minds. I hope a decent and lightweight project can emerge eventually.

Why not come up with a partnership instead of merging the WM?

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM
i should think it would be possible to have a tiling version of compiz, wouldn't it? and, if it were, that would add yet another choice to the already rich selection. that's why i think it's a mistake to want to combine kde and gnome, unless one wanted to come up with an additional choice that just happened to be a combination of the two.putting the two together while losing the seperate entities makes about as much sense as making one baseball team out of the red sox and the yankees (there'd be the tragic loss of hating one another).
like with all sports, really. Healthy competition did more for teams than pay did... to my mind atleast.
On that note, most people who support either side hate their hooligans.

Erunno
March 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
However, recently I have noticed some major hypocrisy on their own thought. With Compiz, Gnome has more configuration options than KDE has ever thought about.

I haven't used Compiz in a while so my opinon may be moot but I seriously doubt that Compiz has KWin's rich feature set (just right-click on a title bar with KWin and check the advanced options).

However, the KDE group still does not officially support a themed KDM, its current ability comes from a separate programmer who wrote a plugin. KDM unlike GDM does not have a random from selected option. What you select is what you get, every time.

"Officially" GNOME doesn't have a instant messaging client since Pidgin is not part of it. My point: When someone took the time to write a certain application it's irrelevant to a certain degree if it's maintained in the parent project's source tree or (for whatever reasons, e.g. another release schedule) outside of it. Especially when taking into consideration, that distributions will assemble the packages for the users.

I do not dispute that KDM is in need of some love but random themes are the least of its worries. Functional extensions like PolicyKit integration are far more important in my opinion.

SunnyRabbiera
March 30th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I consider XFCE to be like a cross between the two personally, XFCE shares Gnomes direct approach and yet KDE's versatility.
If developed more it can surpass both of them easily.

thisllub
March 30th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Nothing more.

I never use menus or docks. One is a way to slow you down, the other a waste of screen space. The ClientList available in OpenBox and E17 is much better than a dock. I have it mapped to Ctrl-Menu.

If E17 was stable it would do the job for me. The RunCommand is vastly superior to the memory & CPU pig Gnome-Do. Unfortunately no other DE has a viable alternative.

I am using Openbox now but apps that require a composite manager don't work. Compiz doesn't work if you have 3 screens anyway.

Gnome feels too much like Windows 95 to me and KDE has too many bad apps.

Triggerhapp
March 31st, 2008, 03:26 AM
I never use menus or docks. One is a way to slow you down, the other a waste of screen space. The ClientList available in OpenBox and E17 is much better than a dock. I have it mapped to Ctrl-Menu.
I never got along with Enlightenment, which is a shame. I like bieng alerted to an application wanting my attention, mostly downloads from firefox or my aMsn conversations. This was the main feature I looked for in choosing a WM/DM.

I am using Openbox now ...I might get around to trying it one day... :P

Gnome feels too much like Windows 95 to me and KDE has too many bad apps. Other than Amarok, I dont need QT at all... If you want windows 95, try IceWM. Its got about 15 Windows based themes :P
I thought it'd make a perfect app to move to from Win32

MountainX
April 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM

I would like gnome's apps with KDE's desktop customization features. :)

Foster Grant
April 14th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I didn't say it was. I only said with Compiz, Gnome is extremely configurable. This same argument would work with KDE as well. But we all know Compiz is much better integrated with Gnome.

KDE 4 has Compiz-style features without installing Compiz. There's compositing code in KWin itself.

At least I can suggest a couple of names: GDE or Knome :mrgreen:

Users of Ubuntu CE might have a problem with one of those. :D

MountainX
April 14th, 2008, 02:47 AM
KDE 4 has Compiz-style features without installing Compiz. There's compositing code in KWin itself.

There are also compositing features in gnome (metacity) that are included with Hardy now. But compiz is still miles ahead IMO. The fact that compiz doesn't work well with KDE (afaik) is one thing that keeps me on Ubuntu (gnome).

BluntBox
April 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I'm praying for a Openbox / Compiz child. Openbox with Expo, Scale and the nice sliding transitions between workspaces that Compiz has would be a real winner!

MountainX
April 14th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm praying for a Openbox / Compiz child. Openbox with Expo, Scale and the nice sliding transitions between workspaces that Compiz has would be a real winner!

Can you get that now by running Openbox in gnome?
http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:GNOME/Openbox

swoll1980
April 14th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good desktop (Gnome) by mating it with a buggy Monstrosity (KDE)