PDA

View Full Version : Remember that film 'Hackers'?

Mehashi
March 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I take it as granted that most people would have seen this film at some point, and some like me thought it was pretty cool (we were young right?). Ok so the fashion was interesting and the script cheesy, but it had a cool soundtrack and nice laptops.

As a backlash to this film I spraypainted my first laptop, and I know other people did too. (with varying degrees of success!)
The one thing I never got my head around was the graphics on those laptops. Not that the quality was great, but the animations and effects. I'd much prefer their effects rather than my plain boot screen anyday!

I know alot of it would be hollywood but I wondered how much of that could be reproduced in ubuntu? (preferably with better resolution!)
^_^

fela
March 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
compiz fusion provides desktop effects like animations and s**t like that.

you can enable it (in ubuntu versions gutsy and up) by going to system > preferences > appearance > far right tab. For more functionality, install compiz-config-settings-manager (thru synaptic or apt)

BOBSONATOR
March 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM
i LOVE THAT MOVIE

"I'll hack the gibson!"

Mehashi
March 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I know about fusion and have had a quick play on my friends comp, and I love it, but its still not quite the same. Would be nice if you could play the animations and audio like they do on startup, or on certain commands. Hard to explain what I mean!
Thanks anyway!
^_^

Freddy
March 29th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hack the planet!!!

Whiffle
March 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
You might be able to do that using Splashy. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=216597

macogw
March 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hack the planet!!!

see attachment

proalan
March 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Yo...this is 'insanely great,' its got a 28.8 kbps modem!

I enjoy this film for the cheese factor. Love the graphics displayed in the scenes where they hack I think Trippers might have been a more suitable movie title.

BOBSONATOR
March 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Yo...this is 'insanely great,' its got a 28.8 kbps modem!

I enjoy this film for the cheese factor. Love the graphics displayed in the scenes where they hack I think Trippers might have been a more suitable movie title.

haha, those parts were great, as if code looked like a green series of skyscrapers with all these calculus equations flying around

"What, did your ma buy you a puter for christmas?"

ssam
March 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM
someone needs to write a Gibson compiz plugin for when you need lots of terminals open.

Mehashi
March 31st, 2008, 03:57 PM
That would be great!, kind of an evolution of the cube.

I did see a gui file manager that was like the doom game. To open files you would shoot the various bad-guys and you could walk around to navigate I believe. I cant recall where I saw it but i'm sure someone here will know.

As for the gibson...

That kind of gui interface is cool! Why limit the compiz-plugin to terminal? It could be configured for general file navigation, terminal use, and if the system was up to it, displaying outputs on the walls like the cube does. Being able to then use the wall you are looking at, then snap it to be your active desktop would be sweet. And just imagine the environments people would come up with!

I want it! I've just started learning C++ in the hope I can contribute something back to Ubuntu and its community, but maybe people with more experience would know how to make this a reality?!
^_^

toupeiro
March 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
"RISC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC) is good..."

Chame_Wizard
March 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
It's after all Linux we're talking :lolflag:

notwen
March 31st, 2008, 04:53 PM
The graphical representations of the virii were awesome.

Cookie monster FTW !

Koori23
March 31st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Crash Override A.K.A "Zero Cool"
Acid Burn
Cereal Killer
Lord Nikon
Phantom Phreck A.K.A "The king of 9X"

Oh god, that brings back memories. I used to own that on VHS. I always rewinded the part where Angelina Jolie would unzip her top. Don't yell at me for that, I was 13 and had LOTS of learning to do.

era86
March 31st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Mess with the best... Die like the rest.

Wolfrat
March 31st, 2008, 05:10 PM
Wow, this film created so many catchphrases that many of us take for granted. Definitely a cult movie, and an inspiration for many. Even though most of it is just so unrealistic xD

Mehashi
March 31st, 2008, 05:16 PM
I remember laughing hard when myself and a whole group of my friends were on a train to cambridge and we all pulled out our laptops at the same time and some had those mobile phone internet dongles. A whole group of us, in a public place, suspicious looking, hooking into the net... Reminded me of the scene in the subway at the payphone booths!
I love being a geek sometimes...
^_^

picopir8
March 31st, 2008, 06:46 PM
My favorite phrase from the movie was "Spandex, its a privilege not a right".

Anyway, the movie was a bit of a cult classic but the best part about it was the soundtrack. One of the best soundtracks ever made in my opinion.

Lostincyberspace
March 31st, 2008, 07:54 PM
I watched this over easter weekend it was on star and I was on vacation so it made a good time filler.

billgoldberg
March 31st, 2008, 08:36 PM
I love that movie.

I watched another classic hacker movie called "War Games (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/)" yesterday.

I loved the guy's computer and was laughing out loud when the girl (the shy girl from "the breakfast club") was shocked when the computer could "talk".

Shall we play a game?

http://proliberty.com/observer/wargames.jpg

Mehashi
March 31st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Haha, war games was funny too!

GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR.... 'ooh that looks like a good idea'!

If I remember correctly they defeated the game by playing 0's and X's?
Anyone downloaded it yet?! Haha
^_^

billgoldberg
March 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Haha, war games was funny too!

GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR.... 'ooh that looks like a good idea'!

If I remember correctly they defeated the game by playing 0's and X's?
Anyone downloaded it yet?! Haha
^_^

Yep, that's right.

macogw
April 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM
The only winning move is not to play.

^ I got that quote into a conversation on escalating "relations" with Iran.

samwyse
April 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
War Games is the only hacker movie worth seeing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcEzhQ7oqA

Raven_Oscar
April 1st, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hi everybody!
Hackers is really funny film and it worth seeing.
But I've not heard anything about War Games movie. So thank you all for recommendation about it =)

PartisanEntity
April 1st, 2008, 09:13 AM
Another thumbs up for the cheese factor, I liked the movie even though it was silly.

IsawSp4rks
April 1st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Someone mentioned the soundtrack and for me that was the main highlight:-

Halcyon (and On and On) (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHalcyon _(Orbital_song)&ei=aPHxR5CEEoeSpwSOsNVz&usg=AFQjCNGnSF9HHkNFhnYbK7D03KKIl6JYQg&sig2=VKYR0iZRC4DPGqCkEYsgbQ) - by Orbital

That was THE song for the rave scene IMHO, along with Binary Finery's 1999.

picopir8
April 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
As long as we are bringing up other movies related to hacking. Here are some more for those who may have missed them:

Sneakers (one of my all time favorites)
The Net
Tron

For good measure, lets also add:
Lawnmower man
The thirteenth floor
existenz

Mehashi
April 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
I remember being blown away by the graphics in lawnmower man when I was much younger! Sweet naivity!

Yeah I agree the hackers soundtrack, in particular orbital, is awesome!

Dont think I've seen sneakers or the net i'll have to check those out!
^_^

ubuntu-freak
April 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
I loved Hackers, great fun. I wanted to be the bad bearded guy.

How about the computer Timberland uses in the Ayo Technology video? Oh and someone invent the holodeck please. :-)

Nathan

IsawSp4rks
April 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
TRON (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_(film))! What an amazing movie.

Did you know that all of the CGI was done in the late 70s and early 80s?!

They used futurist artists like Syd Mead (who has been used by architects, movie and game makers ever since) and "Moebius" (whose comic strip art influenced movies like Blade Runner and Star Wars - specifically Han Solo who was based on a space pirate character he invisaged).

http://design.osu.edu/carlson/history/tron.html

Incredible when you think about the kind of computing power they had then.

It's a long read but definitely recommended.

PartisanEntity
April 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
Tron was cool too! :)

Llewxam
April 2nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
tron was an innovation in film effects. and the producers and critics actually had said that it wouldn't get far because of the computer effects at the time. boy were they wrong. then again, george lucas was also told star wars was never gonna be a hit.

but on to hackers, i love LOVE L O V E this movie. along with wargames. both films are just fun to watch. i even had the gibson screensaver on my desktop. i'd provide a link but it's 3 a.m. and i'm lazy.
the soundtrack (all 3 of them) are the best when tweaking around the terminal in ubuntu and such. and the orbital song, even in mortal kombat that song sends me into a deep trance.

...well thanks now i wanna watch hackers :lolflag:

macogw
April 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Who played the Cereal Killer (as in Fruit Loops)?

Llewxam
April 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Who played the Cereal Killer (as in Fruit Loops)?

the same guy who played shaggy in the live action scooby films. he was also in the first scream movie as the lackey killer.

Llewxam
April 2nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
the same guy who played shaggy in the live action scooby films. he was also in the first scream movie as the lackey killer.

mathew lillard.

axumus
May 5th, 2011, 07:59 AM
This is my current Desktop layout. Based on Zerocool's/CrashOverride's desktop.
http://i52.tinypic.com/wrkhp3.png

cariboo
May 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
This thread is three years old, closed.