PDA

View Full Version : Get cursor position in Python

xelapond
March 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hello,

Is there a way or command in Python to return the X11 cursor position? I could not find anything on the Python mailing lists.

Thanks,

Alex

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM
PyGame has functions for that.

pmasiar
March 28th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Python by itself does not have that - graphic library of your choice which communicates with X has.

days_of_ruin
March 28th, 2008, 11:50 PM
PyGame has functions for that.
Darn, beat me to it!

:lolflag:

xelapond
April 2nd, 2008, 12:29 AM
Python by itself does not have that - graphic library of your choice which communicates with X has.

That's convenient, I am using PyQT. I looked up the documentation for it and found the QCursor class. I tried this out in the python interpretor(I always do this before putting it into my main code), but every time I run it it segfaults. Here is the code with outputs:

alex@Andromeda:~$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Mar 7 2008, 04:10:12)
[GCC 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore
>>> y = QtCore.QPoint
>>> x = QtGui.QCursor()
>>> y = x.pos()
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
alex@Andromeda:~$

Here is the documentation I used: http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Docs/PyQt4/html/qcursor.html

Any ideas why its segfaulting?

Thanks,

Alex

tseliot
April 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
That's convenient, I am using PyQT. I looked up the documentation for it and found the QCursor class. I tried this out in the python interpretor(I always do this before putting it into my main code), but every time I run it it segfaults. Here is the code with outputs:

alex@Andromeda:~$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Mar 7 2008, 04:10:12)
[GCC 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore
>>> y = QtCore.QPoint
>>> x = QtGui.QCursor()
>>> y = x.pos()
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
alex@Andromeda:~$

Here is the documentation I used: http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Docs/PyQt4/html/qcursor.html

Any ideas why its segfaulting?

Thanks,

Alex
Here's the description of QCursor:

This class is mainly used to create mouse cursors that are associated with particular widgets and to get and set the position of the mouse cursor.

Here are the full details (http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Docs/PyQt4/html/qcursor.html#details)

xelapond
April 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Oh, so it was crashing because I didn't have QApplication. I wish some of the other bugs I had were that easy to fix:) That doesn't look like the class I need though. I could only find two other cursor classes for Qt, QDesignerFormWindowCursorInterface and QTextCursor, neither of which look like what I want. Am I better off using the pygame one? That seems a little weird to have a pygame module imported into a mail program, but I guess I can just import the one method.

Thanks,

Alex