PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your favorite free software applications

Catharina
March 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
There is a competition here on Webware, where you can vote for your favorite Web 2.0 applications. There are some free software applications competing, like Pidgin, Wordpress, Firefox, Miro, open DNS and probably some I missed or do not know.

Please take a moment and vote for your favorites.

http://www.webware.com/html/ww/100/2008/index.html

Catharina
March 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Oh, this worries me a bit.. Only 9 people to read this post in 40 minutes and no replies..

Maybe it is not clear as what voting can do:

Give credit to the developers of the applications we use every day
Contribute to the marketing of free software (if any free software application wins, it can be good publicity for free and open source software as a whole).

You do not need to register for voting; just vote and that is it..

Jimmy Johnson
March 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM
No thanks.

Catharina
March 28th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Thatīs fine, but why not?

hessiess
March 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Oh, this worries me a bit.. Only 9 people to read this post in 40 minutes and no replies..
probaly becouse this thread could be viewd as spam. and it looks like you registered to post this, as you only have 1 been.

voted for firefox anyay

Catharina
March 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM
How could this be seen as spam?? I am not related to that side in any way. And free software applications are listed there, so what is wrong in giving them some credit?

rudihawk
March 28th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Voted for firefox and pidgin...

MeTylerDurden
March 28th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Right now mine is this simple thiing: Imagezoom extension for Mozilla suite
Mozilla context menu option to zoom current image
Easy to use extension that works with Firefox, Mozilla and Thunderbird.
Right click on an image and select a zoom option from the popup menu, or, hold down the right mouse button in combination with the mouse wheel to zoom in or out on an image.
Features include:
* Zoom In/Out
* Reset Image Size
* Custom Zoom
* Custom Dimensions
* Fit Image to Screen
* Zoom to Preset Values directly from menu
* Option to Change Zoom In/Out Factor
* Options to hide/show each menu item
* Show items in main context or a Zoom Image sub menu
Project website: http://imagezoom.yellowgorilla.net:popcorn:

Tell him the liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception.

Jimmy Johnson
March 28th, 2008, 11:40 PM
The cookies I pick-up on that site tell me that what you are doing is not a legitimate poll, seems to be no more than an advertising gimmick and if it was a legitimate poll we would be able to tell you what our favorite free software applications are, but the way you have it setup we can't.

bruce89
March 28th, 2008, 11:46 PM
What on earth is a Web 2.0 application? I'd have thought non-desktop applications wouldn't fall under this category.

Catharina
March 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
The cookies I pick-up on that site tell me that what you are doing is not a legitimate poll, seems to be no more than an advertising gimmick and if it was a legitimate poll we would be able to tell you what our favorite free software applications are, but the way you have it setup we can't.

As I said before, I have nothing to do with that poll. The site is owned by Cnet Networks, they run sites lke http://www.zdnet.com/ http://techrepublic.com.com/ and many other popular sites. So these awards are legitimate and attracts lots of attention. I am sure you will pick up cookies, like all over the Internet these days.

Jimmy Johnson
March 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Catharina, you are not going to convince me.

I got 27 cookies from that link you posted, from places like ads.pointroll.com, doubleclick.net, atdmt.com, com.com, questionmarket.com, webware.com and those are just first party cookies, I don't allow second party cookies. Like I said, "No thank you." Take your BS over to Yahoo Groups, Google Groups or My Space. We have our own polls, we don't need a BS poll from you. Bye Bye

Catharina
March 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I got 27 cookies from that link you posted, from places like ads.pointroll.com, doubleclick.net, atdmt.com, com.com, questionmarket.com, webware.com and those are just first party cookies, I don't allow second party cookies. Like I said, "No thank you." Take your BS over to Yahoo Groups, Google Groups or My Space. We have our own polls, we don't need a BS poll from you. Bye Bye

Wow, now you are getting really nasty. There is no need to do that. I just posted that link because I think we need more people to become aware of the benefits of free software. So outside the Linux World. I have nothing to do with that site, nor with their cookies. Cookies are all around the internet, so you better stay offline or just don accept them if you don want them.

And please just speak for yourself or are you an official spokesperson for Ubuntu?

eragon100
March 29th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I voted for opera! I think it's the best browser that's around for linux these days :)

And yes, I know it's not open-source. I don't care.

luceerose
March 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Firefox was the only thing there worth voting for.

Somebody should give some real applications some credit

Jimmy Johnson
March 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
How many here have heard of the "Hosts" file? It can be found at /etc/hosts, here is link to MVPS HOSTS file: www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt it will block most unwanted pest cookies on the web and block a lot of ads that you would normally see while browsing the Internet. It's easy to install, just copy it and paste it to your existing hosts file and just make sure you leave a blank line at the bottom of your hosts file or it will not work. Enjoy.

LaRoza
March 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I voted for opera! I think it's the best browser that's around for linux these days :)

And yes, I know it's not open-source. I don't care.

Opera is the best GUI browser. People who use Firefox are just blinded by the license.

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0083.gif

LaRoza
March 29th, 2008, 08:17 PM

You are free not to go to that site, but please don't insult other people.

And please just speak for yourself or are you an official spokesperson for Ubuntu?
None of us are official spokespeople. (I am a moderator of the forum, but like everyone, that is just a volunteer position)

NightwishFan
March 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I think I am going to give Opera a try. LaRoza, I have not seen you wrong yet.

Cope57
March 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Why not go to Ubuntu Popularity Contest (http://popcon.ubuntu.com/).

The popularity-contest (http://packages.ubuntu.com/popularity-contest) (popcon) package in Ubuntu lets you vote on your favorite, most-used apps and packages every week. This is an automated process, so once you set it up, you will never have to worry about it again.