PDA

View Full Version : Your Fondest RavTux Memory

kevdog
March 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Without ANY DISPARAGING REMARKS, please post your favorite RavTux memory. As you know RavTux passed on from the Ubuntu Forums on 3/27/2008.

My fondest memory was him informing us of his Roadtrip across America. I always enjoyed his altered look on life in general.

chucky chuckaluck
March 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
i once locked rav in a dark, dingy cellar with nothing but a giant pile of manure. when i came back an hour later to check on him, there was rav frantically digging at the pile of manure. i said "uh, rav, what the hell are you doing?" he responded "there's gotta be a pony in here somewhere" and returned to his digging. he's easily one of the most enthusiastic people i've ever come in contact with.

edit: wow! i had no idea rav had been banned. that's a loss.

Dragonbite
March 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
No, I didn't know RavTux passed on!

aaaantoine
March 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Uh, if RAV TUX "passed on", as you say, why is he still posting (http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=finduser&u=44986)?

chucky chuckaluck
March 28th, 2008, 03:16 PM
nevermind

ubuntu-freak
March 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Uh, if RAV TUX "passed on", as you say, why is he still posting (http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=finduser&u=44986)?

He meant 3/27/2008, not 2/27. RAV TUX has been banned, check the Resolution Center for info.

Just wanted to clear that up. Don't debate why he was banned or this thread will be closed just like the last one.

Nathan

bonzodog
March 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I will refer people to this thread in the forums discussion area:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=737476

Thanks

aaaantoine
March 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hmm, that would explain the burnt beans, then.

phrostbyte
March 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM
RAV TUX is gone? :( :( :( :( :(

hhhhhx
March 28th, 2008, 07:02 PM
RAV TUX is gone? :( :( :( :( :(
yes, rav was banned for an unknown reason

also my fav was also his roadtrip, that was right about when i came into the forums :)

Dragonbite
March 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
RAV TUX is gone? :( :( :( :( :(Oh good, I'm not the only one this is news to. I know I haven't been around for a while but it kinda sucks to come back and hear something like this!

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Oh good, I'm not the only one this is news to. I know I haven't been around for a while but it kinda sucks to come back and hear something like this!

Yes, recently.

The details of the incident are between the Forum Council and the parties involved.

FuturePilot
March 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'll always remember the random threads he used to post. Some of them were silly, some of them put an interesting perspective on things, and some were just plain off the wall.

I'll miss RAV around here :cry:

OrangeCrate
March 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I'll always remember the random threads he used to post. Some of them were silly, some of them put an interesting perspective on things, and some were just plain off the wall.

+1

hhhhhx
March 28th, 2008, 07:43 PM

+2

forceofnature
March 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Reading some of his posts brought me to installing Linux on this PC.

chucky chuckaluck
March 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Yes, recently.

The details of the incident are between the Forum Council and the parties involved.

just for clarity: someone can be banned for incidents that take place behind the scenes?

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
just for clarity: someone can be banned for incidents that take place behind the scenes?

I am not sure what you asking.

If someone spams through PM's, that is a spam ban, even though no one will see it.

The events here are not totally hidden, they are just not as obvious.

I think a FC member will clarify it soon.

chucky chuckaluck
March 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I am not sure what you asking.

If someone spams through PM's, that is a spam ban, even though no one will see it.

The events here are not totally hidden, they are just not as obvious.

I think a FC member will clarify it soon.

maybe a more inclusive and global definition of 'spam' would clear things up, as well.

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
maybe a more inclusive and global definition of 'spam' would clear things up, as well.

Was spam used in a confusing context? (My example above was just an example)

chucky chuckaluck
March 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Was spam used in a confusing context? (My example above was just an example)

"spamming through pm's" somehow got past me.

phrostbyte
March 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I don't really feel comfortable posting here if RAV TUX got banned. Especially considering RAV TUX and Mark Shuttleworth are good friends. The way he talked it seemed like he got targeted for his political beliefs, which I can believe, because one of the administrators here is apparently a hardcore anti-Zionist.

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
"spamming through pm's" somehow got past me.

I just meant it in the typical spam we get, but in a PM. It is rare, but it sometimes happens.

I don't really feel comfortable posting here if RAV TUX got banned. Especially considering RAV TUX and Mark Shuttleworth are good friends. The way he talked it seemed like he got targeted for his political beliefs, which I can believe, because one of the administrators here is apparently a hardcore anti-Zionist.

No, I read the posts in questions and found that there is some misleading going on here. None of the administrators are hardcore anti-zionist or anything.

In fact, Matthew is one of the most diplomatic people I know.

banjobacon
March 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Fond memories? I got reprimanded for making fun of Rav once. That was fun.

popch
March 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I would like to suggest that we all stop badgering the only UF staff member who happens to be present in this thread.

UF staff have decided not to communicate at the moment the reasons which led to the banning of Rav Tux. They say that they choose to do so in order to protect his personality rights. I have no indication that this might not be their true motives, and neither has anyone else.

I find the UF's staff much more discreet in their handling of this affair than I find Rav, after reading his thread in the Resolution Center.

I also regret that he will not be posting here any more. I greatly enjoyed some of his contributions.

potrick
March 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I'll always be thankful that he introduced me to Menomena.

KiwiNZ
March 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Ok before this gets out of hand.

Some back ground, I consider Rav Tux a friend. It was I that made him staff. It was I that defended him when he was staff. It was I that prolonged the latest decision in order to allow time for it to be fully considered.

So OK , Rav was given many many opportunity to change what he was doing and to avoid this , regretfully he didn’t and the council was left with no alternative than to assume he wasn’t.

You would all have seen his random bursts of prolific posting and thread making. The staff received many complaints regarding it.
He would post many threads about one thing when one thread would have been sufficient. He would constantly bump his own threads, and constantly self promote his own activities. This is spam, would we accept it from any other member? No

We asked and asked that he curb his way of doing things and he did not.

I for one are all for enthusiasm and I truly admire the enthusiasm Rav has for things he feels strongly about. But, there is a time and place for everything. Rav sometimes it is just time to zip it. And I say that as a friend.

The Council agonized over this decision for several weeks, but we reached a point where we were left with only one option. It is very sad that we had to come to this and I can say we wished it was different.

Yes its nice to remember Rav , but just also remember the staff here have a job to do .So I ask that we do not muck rake , that I believe lessons the dignity of what one would want to recall.

awakatanka
March 28th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Why aren't this decisions open for everyone. If some one is judged in RL its open for everyone so there is no mistakes what someone has done. You can hear his point of view and there point of view. If everything is behind closed doors then you can expect threads that ask what happend. On a community like this this kind of things needs to be open. Everything can put behind closed doors under the caller of privacy.

Where some people complained about to many post and bumps others liked his threads.

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Why aren't this decisions open for everyone. If some one is judged in RL its open for everyone so there is no mistakes what someone has done. You can hear his point of view and there point of view. If everything is behind closed doors then you can expect threads that ask what happend. On a community like this this kind of things needs to be open. Everything can put behind closed doors under the caller of privacy.

Where some people complained about to many post and bumps others liked his threads.

This isn't that kind of forum. Ideally, everyone just follows the CoC, but that doesn't happen.

Certain members are selected to enforce it in the relatively rare instance of a violation.

If someone has a problem with a post or thinks it violates the CoC, then they should report it.

(Yes, many posts of the user in question were reported)

phrostbyte
March 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM

That's how Wikipedia handles things like these. It's all done in public and people chime in on the proceedings and the way the committee members vote and their reasons are all public knowledge. It makes it much harder for the committee members to have an agenda. That's also, how the Western justice system works. You can not have real justice any other way.

Anyways if you really think this was badly handled I suggest e-mailing Mark Shuttleworth himself. Mark Shuttleworth does have ultimate power over the entire forums, and he and RAV TUX are actual friends.

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
That's how Wikipedia handles things like these. It's all done in public and people chime in on the proceedings and the way the committee members vote and their reasons are all public knowledge. It makes it much harder for the committee members to have an agenda. That's also, how the Western justice system works. You can not have real justice any other way.

Anyways if you really think this was badly handled I suggest e-mailing Mark Shuttleworth himself. Mark Shuttleworth does have ultimate power over the entire forums, and he and RAV TUX are actual friends.

Wikipedia isn't the official support forum for anything.

There is no hidden agenda here. It was explained above. The above admin was the most reluctant to do anything like this, but even he was driven to doing it.

If "Mark Shuttleworth" and RAV TUX are friends, and Mr. Shuttleworth does allow his personal feelings to undo the Forum Council, who has the personal agenda?

(His name is in quotes because I do not know of any personal relationship between them)

The above post of an admin tells why this action was taken. It was directly related to violations of the Code of Conduct.

chucky chuckaluck
March 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
the way things are handled in public life and private life are different. in public life, process is designed for the greater good (at least that's what we 'mericans pretend to do). in private life, process is designed for the good of the company/entity/whateveruwanttocallit.

truth be told, if i ran a company, i'd probably go the benevolent dictator route, sad to say.

mips
March 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Some back ground, I consider Rav Tux a friend. It was I that made him staff. It was I that defended him when he was staff. It was I that prolonged the latest decision in order to allow time for it to be fully considered.

So OK , Rav was given many many opportunity to change what he was doing and to avoid this , regretfully he didn’t and the council was left with no alternative than to assume he wasn’t.

You would all have seen his random bursts of prolific posting and thread making. The staff received many complaints regarding it.
He would post many threads about one thing when one thread would have been sufficient. He would constantly bump his own threads, and constantly self promote his own activities. This is spam, would we accept it from any other member? No

I for one are all for enthusiasm and I truly admire the enthusiasm Rav has for things he feels strongly about. But, there is a time and place for everything. Rav sometimes it is just time to zip it. And I say that as a friend.

The Council agonized over this decision for several weeks, but we reached a point where we were left with only one option. It is very sad that we had to come to this and I can say we wished it was different.

Yes its nice to remember Rav , but just also remember the staff here have a job to do .So I ask that we do not muck rake , that I believe lessons the dignity of what one would want to recall.

KiwiNZ,

Why did you guys not say that sooner then we would have at least known the reason.

I actually agree with your above statement 100%. What you mentioned also irked me however I never complained about it, just let it be.

So, in a nutshell I would like to say I agree and respect the FC decision.

Edit:
I just want to add that I'm not trying to score any brownie points here.

awakatanka
March 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM
This isn't that kind of forum. Ideally, everyone just follows the CoC, but that doesn't happen.

Certain members are selected to enforce it in the relatively rare instance of a violation.

If someone has a problem with a post or thinks it violates the CoC, then they should report it.

(Yes, many posts of the user in question were reported)
CoC is changed a lot when i first registered i never have had to agree to a new version. If there is a change in CoC everyone have to agree to it again.

the only thing i don like about this is that we can talk about this kind of things without the fear that the thread is closed.

With public figures like tux there needs to be more open then someone with a few posts, because you know there will be questions because he is a public figure. And i'm think if some one is judges by the council the council decision needs to be public after that.

But for now i will stop about this i will go read the forums again what i mostly do.

macogw
March 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM
KiwiNZ,

Why did you guys not say that sooner then we would have at least known the reason.

We first had to debate whether a response would fan the flames or not and if it was better to respond or let it die silently. There is lots of discussing before anything is done.

ubuntu-freak
March 28th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the clarification KiwiNZ.

I didn't bother second guessing why he was banned (despite the fact that I didn't like the reason given in the Resolution Center), as I had a feeling more details would be provided.

Despite the recent tension, this is still a vibrant and wonderfully large community forum. I've yet to find another forum like it.

Nathan

phrostbyte
March 28th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Wikipedia isn't the official support forum for anything.

There is no hidden agenda here. It was explained above. The above admin was the most reluctant to do anything like this, but even he was driven to doing it.

If "Mark Shuttleworth" and RAV TUX are friends, and Mr. Shuttleworth does allow his personal feelings to undo the Forum Council, who has the personal agenda?

(His name is in quotes because I do not know of any personal relationship between them)

The above post of an admin tells why this action was taken. It was directly related to violations of the Code of Conduct.

LaRoza,

Quite frankly, Mark Shuttleworth is the dictator here. He is can and should have a personal agenda. Forum mods and admins shouldn't.

Since the details of decisions like these are behind closed doors, as form of secret justice, I am unable to confirm or deny that there was some kind of personal agenda against RAV TUX. Are we suppose to have faith in the moderator's infallibility and adherence to rightful justice? Especially when in a interesting irony, those same moderators believe RAV TUX was not suited to be one himself, thus classical logic implemented in both possible cases proves absolutely that the admins are fallible.

The way secrecy was handled in the case, the reaction of RAV TUX himself, the fact that the admins are largely uncomfortable with dealing with the questions and oppositions of the community leads me to believe there was indeed an agenda behind this.

The least you administrators do next time around something like this happens is be more open to the community. We, like you, spend lots of time here as volunteers to help the community grow and flourish. We deserve better.

PriceChild
March 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM
That's how Wikipedia handles things like these. It's all done in public and people chime in on the proceedings and the way the committee members vote and their reasons are all public knowledge. It makes it much harder for the committee members to have an agenda. That's also, how the Western justice system works. You can not have real justice any other way.But they all discuss in private first about what to do. The decision the forum staff has made has also now been explained due to the fuss surrounding it.

CoC is changed a lot when i first registered i never have had to agree to a new version. If there is a change in CoC everyone have to agree to it again.From http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy
It should be noted that, like all things, this code of conduct will continue to change and evolve with constructive feedback from users and from experience. It is our hope that these policies will create open, honest, and civil discussion. As always, we welcome feedback about any concerns that you may have so feel free to post in the forum feedback section of the forums. It is the users' responsibility to check this page for updates.Afaik that has always been there in some form.

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 11:15 PM
LaRoza,

Quite frankly, Mark Shuttleworth is the dictator here. He is can and should have a personal agenda. Forum mods and admins shouldn't.

The way secrecy was handled in the case, the reaction of RAV TUX himself, the fact that the admins are largely uncomfortable with dealing with the questions and oppositions of the community leads me to believe there was indeed an agenda behind this.

The least you administrators do next time around something like this happens is be more open to the community. We, like you, spend lots of time here as volunteers to help the community grow and flourish. We deserve better.

Admins and mods don't have personal agenda's. It was the personal feelings of the staff that allowed this to go on as long as it did. If the staff (at the time) were completely impartial, they would have done a generic spam ban, but they didn't.

No, there was just an unwillingness of the staff to label a long time member as anything else.

Just to clarify, I am a moderator, the admins, such as KiwiNZ, are the higher ups on the scale. The Forum Council, of which I am not a member, made the decision.

I don't think the community would like your last statement. Infractions are between the staff and the person only. They are not publically viewable.

This was a relatively unique case, so it will not likely be an issue in the future.

macogw
March 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Especially when in a interesting irony, those same moderators believe RAV TUX was not suited to be one himself, thus classical logic implemented in both possible cases proves absolutely that the admins are fallible.
Jozef stepped down from being a moderator of his own accord. He told me about a week before he announced it that he was quitting and handed the Northeast US Ubuntu LoCo over to Dayylin.

banjobacon
March 28th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Quite frankly, Mark Shuttleworth is the dictator here

wut?

omns
March 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM
... comment withdrawn

-grubby
March 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM

I liked his square watermelon one :)

Tux Aubrey
March 29th, 2008, 12:58 AM

I'll miss RAV around here

+1. Let's also remember that RAV's 7,000 odd counted posts did not include any from the cafe or the backyard - they were on the support forums.

But for some reason it was posts like What do you put on your crumpet? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=557408) and "Glide"; Ceramic Toaster | A cool new Toaster... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568597) that made me keep looking for his posts. I also liked the way he made such creative use of the 10 choices in polls. - eg. this one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=523031)

corney91
March 29th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Without his posts I don't think I'd have ever tried E17 and for that I will always be thankful.
It's sad to see this happen but I trust the FC to make the best decision, even if, personally, I did not label his random threads as spam...

(I'm not implying the random threads are the cause of the ban - I have no idea)

FuturePilot
March 29th, 2008, 01:07 AM
But for some reason it was posts like What do you put on your crumpet? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=557408) and "Glide"; Ceramic Toaster | A cool new Toaster... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568597) that made me keep looking for his posts. I also liked the way he made such creative use of the 10 choices in polls. - eg. this one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=523031)

Exactly what I was talking about. Rereading those gave me a good laugh, especially the one with the poll ;)

23meg
March 29th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Let's also remember that RAV's 7,000 odd counted posts did not include any from the cafe or the backyard

This is going to be off-topic, and I'm not doing it out of any negative intention, but just out of the need to state the fact: that's not exactly true. One of his most active periods was when posts in the Cafe and Backyard counted. A search in Absolute Beginner Talk and Main Support Categories forums for his posts reveals that he has a total of 243 posts in those forums.

Most of his posts outside the Cafe and Backyard were about his favorite distro at the time, which always changed, and are thus probably in Other OS Talk.

Kernel Sanders
March 29th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I for one guessed the reason when I saw "burnt beans" under his username.

For every worthwhile thread/post by him there were 5 other pointless spam threads/posts. Although I never complained, I did find him one hell of an annoying user. He would go through periods where he would make 5 threads on similar topics one after another for example. I once looked in the Community Cafe to see the top 4 threads in here were newly created spam threads by RAV TUX.

IMHO, and as intimated by the staff members, it all boiled down to respect. He was told his behaviour was unacceptable over a long period of time, and by ignoring them and continuing regardless he was essentially giving them the finger.

If he didn't respect this community enough to change his behaviour when told that it's unacceptable, then he's not worth having around.

Can we please stop hassling staff members now? They do a great job around here FOR FREE, and are always helpful to each and every one of us. Just because RAV TUX was somewhat popular with a few of you is not justification for demanding staff members publicly explain themselves to YOUR satisfaction.

Apologies if that offends anyone. It wasn't meant to, just my $0.02

LookTJ
March 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Just remember that EVERYONE on this forum are volunteers and provide support for this great distribution. Ubuntu-Geek started this forum to mainly provide tech support for Ubuntu, not just for community discussions. There are no exceptions because RAV TUX is a regular volunteer just like the rest of us. So please do not flame the staff's decision.

Although RAV TUX was an interesting character. He posted some silly and interesting posts over the past three years that I've been here.

this is my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Taylor

kevdog
March 29th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Still no quite sure the reason for the ban. I've got to respect the FC for their decision, but their way of handling it seems not to live up to their usual way of dealing with problems.

Needless to say I always found Rav Tux's threads very humorous (tongue in cheek) and it added a lot of personality to the forums. He will be missed for sure.

hhhhhx
March 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Still no quite sure the reason for the ban. I've got to respect the FC for their decision, but their way of handling it seems not to live up to their usual way of dealing with problems.

Needless to say I always found Rav Tux's threads very humorous (tongue in cheek) and it added a lot of personality to the forums. He will be missed for sure.

spamzilla
March 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Rav Tux banned, System of a Down are not going to get back together...I don't think I can take much more sadness today :(

If he truly was ignoring staff members here (I had no idea about any of this), then he sadly did deserve to be banned.

Farewell, sweet princess.

loell
March 29th, 2008, 08:02 AM
my fondest memory with rav tux , was when there came a time that dream linux was way ahead of ubuntu, we sort of believe that it was the next big thing.

my not so, is the time, when we were into a flame when he was still a mod , and i was suggesting to close the "word association thread" :) , I believe we forgive each other at that time, but my impression for him changed. but still, i mean i liked him being an enlightenment person :)

wieman01
March 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM

There you go:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4606229&postcount=27

SomeGuyDude
March 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Man.

It's a good thing this forum is 99.9% awesome, because the .1% I just found via this thread would be enough to drive me off most forums entirely.

I really hope you guys start getting better at dealing with people over the next few years, because if that kind of activity is enough to get someone banned, lord help ya.

mrgnash
March 29th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Man.

It's a good thing this forum is 99.9% awesome, because the .1% I just found via this thread would be enough to drive me off most forums entirely.

I really hope you guys start getting better at dealing with people over the next few years, because if that kind of activity is enough to get someone banned, lord help ya.

'That kind of activity' = spamming. So it was the right thing to do.

kevdog
March 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I guess I see the definition of SPAM much different than the moderators. Its very difficult for me to see promotion of activities that I do on my personal time in posts made in the Community Cafe or Backyard as SPAM. I don't ever remember him repeatedly promoting a product or agenda, and I quite enjoyed his rather odd stories about his own personal life. I guess that is where I differ with others.

Rui Pais
March 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM
My fond memories of RAV TUX (on this Forum, the world it's bigger):

when he SPAM this forum, posting links to my personal site, a centralize page with a deb package for installing e17 from CVS on Ubuntu, i made from contribution and help of this community (link on my sig)

when he SPAM this forum promoting my Ubuntu variation, an Ubuntu Enlightenment variation

when he SPAM this forum with open source projects like:
OpenVZ, a project by bodhi.zazen
Geubuntu/OpenGeu and gOS (Ubuntu variations)
PorkerTH, an opensource game existent on Ubuntu repos
(http://cafelinux.org/Downloads)

when he SPAM this forum with links to Cafelinux.org, a non-profit forum/organization, without donations requirements, full of Ubuntu users and an Ubuntu Powered "propaganda" at bottom of page

when he SPAM this forum posting about an non-profit, humanitarian organization, trying to help women from Somalia from sexual slavery (very anti Ubuntu spirit)

when he SPAM the OtherOS sub-forum trying distro after distro, with impartiality, curiosity and a total absence of fanboyism

when he SPAM the Community Cafe by doing what it's suppose to be done there, relax and post funny and non-serious threads. A lot of them. Apparently there are an hidden number for threads per user there, he just seems to have crossed that secret number.
(Who's next?)

jken146
March 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM
My fond memories of RAV TUX (on this Forum, the world it's bigger):

when he SPAM this forum, posting links to my personal site, a centralize page with a deb package for installing e17 from CVS on Ubuntu, i made from contribution and help of this community (link on my sig)

when he SPAM this forum promoting my Ubuntu variation, an Ubuntu Enlightenment variation

when he SPAM this forum with open source projects like:
OpenVZ, a project by bodhi.zazen
Geubuntu/OpenGeu and gOS (Ubuntu variations)
PorkerTH, an opensource game existent on Ubuntu repos
(http://cafelinux.org/Downloads)

when he SPAM this forum with links to Cafelinux.org, a non-profit forum/organization, without donations requirements, full of Ubuntu users and an Ubuntu Powered "propaganda" at bottom of page

when he SPAM this forum posting about an non-profit, humanitarian organization, trying to help women from Somalia from sexual slavery (very anti Ubuntu spirit)

when he SPAM the OtherOS sub-forum trying distro after distro, with impartiality, curiosity and a total absence of fanboyism

when he SPAM the Community Cafe by doing what it's suppose to be done there, relax and post funny and non-serious threads. A lot of them. Apparently there are an hidden number for threads per user there, he just seems to have crossed that secret number.
(Who's next?)

+1

Tux Aubrey
March 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Well said, Rui Pais. Thank you.

Kernel Sanders
March 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Ok, devils advocate.

I make 5 threads in the community cafe in a row. They aren't particularly helpful, a bit silly actually. So the top 5 threads in here are started by me.

After a while, I see that they are hardly being used, so I decide to bump them, so yet again, the top 5 threads in here are started by me, and again, not particularly helpful and a bit silly.

I do this on a regular basis.

The mods and admins tell me to stop doing this. I don't in fact, I ignore them, and continue regardless.

Every now and again though, I make a thread in support of some open source/human rights project. Although my spam threads outnumber these by a factor of 5.

Can you honestly say that you'd have no problem with me doing this? Can you honestly say that it would be unduly harsh for me to ultimately lose my posting rights over this, despite the fact that I am openly ignoring the requests by the mods and admins, and have no inclination whatsoever to start listening to them any time soon?

As I said earlier. Some of you liked RAV TUX, and that's fine, but the rules of this forum must apply to everyone equally.

If you put yourself in the position of the mods and admins over this there really was only one option they could take, and there really is only one person to blame for this, and that's RAV TUX himself.

jken146
March 29th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I make 5 threads in the community cafe in a row. They aren't particularly helpful, a bit silly actually. So the top 5 threads in here are started by me.

After a while, I see that they are hardly being used, so I decide to bump them, so yet again, the top 5 threads in here are started by me, and again, not particularly helpful and a bit silly.

I don't agree with this behaviour, except that I don't see why threads in the cafe can't be "not particularly helpful, a bit silly".

I don't like the way RAV was banned (as far as I can see).

sanderella
March 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I think this thread should be closed now. I loved Rav Tux, and I appreciate the work of the Forum Council, I don't want to criticise anyone.

I just don't think this thread is doing any good any more, all the main points have been stated, and now its just winding people up for arguments. Peace, folks.8-)

Rui Pais
March 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks jken146 and Aubrey :)

Sorry all if my ironic tone may sounded too corrosive...

I had decided not to post nothing about this on UF, but i find the spam acusation a little ridiculous and unfair.

@Kernel Sanders.
I'm not posting because i'm a friend of RAV TUX (i am), but as an UF user who happens to like these forum. I don't even participate much on Community Cafe.

I see it as a user freedom issue, related to all of us.
The question it was not properly handled, looks to much as a personal issue and personal action over an user, and the "accusations" that can be put on RAV are only relevant to Community cafe, precisely where those things are not much important.

The decent and correct KiwiNZ post (Thanks KiwiNZ, for that clarification) appeared to late. The tone on Resolution Center thread has very aggressive and arrogant.

From UF perspective it's was bad too. 7000 or 200 are quite irrelevant. RAV is a well known user, on several communities and on Linux world in general... UF will get the image as the forum that ban old/known users on private processes because they post sporadically?.... Are we happy with this?

(again i'm sorry to bring this OT on this thread, but the other one on this topic was closed so fast...)

corney91
March 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Ok, devils advocate.

The mods and admins tell me to stop doing this. I don't in fact, I ignore them, and continue regardless.

Every now and again though, I make a thread in support of some open source/human rights project. Although my spam threads outnumber these by a factor of 5.

Can you honestly say that you'd have no problem with me doing this? Can you honestly say that it would be unduly harsh for me to ultimately lose my posting rights over this, despite the fact that I am openly ignoring the requests by the mods and admins, and have no inclination whatsoever to start listening to them any time soon?

As I said earlier. Some of you liked RAV TUX, and that's fine, but the rules of this forum must apply to everyone equally.

If you put yourself in the position of the mods and admins over this there really was only one option they could take, and there really is only one person to blame for this, and that's RAV TUX himself.
Well, to be fair, what are you expecting from the Community Cafe? Support? ;)

loell
March 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
sigh, I thought we were pass RAV TUX's banning, and that this thread was just suppose to remember him. or is there another purpose of this thread?

matthew
March 29th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I think this thread should be closed now. I loved Rav Tux, and I appreciate the work of the Forum Council, I don't want to criticise anyone.

I just don't think this thread is doing any good any more, all the main points have been stated, and now its just winding people up for arguments. Peace, folks.8-)Agreed.