PDA

View Full Version : g++ is broken?

ElTimo
March 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I tried to compile something with g++, and got this error
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib64/crt1.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit statusthe code i'm trying to compile doesn't even HAVE a 'main' function! it's a class file! this leads me to believe that the error refers to something in g++ itself, which can't be good. any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is for my Coocle Summer of Code application.

schmendrick
March 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
depends what you want to build. i guess you want to build a library?

your g++/linker tries to build an executable and therefore needs an entry point. thats why he cries that he does not have a main function.

you have to change the compiler/linker options that you do not want to build an executable but the desired type you want. where you can change that is depending on what IDE you use (i dont think you compile via command line do you).

WW
March 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Use the -c option. For example,

$ ls
empty.cpp
$ cat empty.cpp
class empty
{
};
$ g++ empty.cpp
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
$ g++ -c empty.cpp
$ ls
empty.cpp empty.o
$

If you are using an IDE, then you'll have to figure out how to tell it that you are not compiling a main program. (Perhaps look for an option to compile a library?)

ElTimo
March 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
First of all, thanks for your help.

Second, here's the thing: I write my programs in Geany, compile them there to see if they work, then compile via the command line in the built-in terminal.

I tried the -c option just now, and it worked. Thank you very much! Boy I feel dumb now. :lolflag:

Luksion Knight
September 30th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Don't know if this was ever figured out but I often got this error when I forgot to save my .cpp file in the editor before compiling.

sisco311
September 30th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Necromancy.

Thread Closed.